Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry MD, but I think all NJD did was buy themselves a year to move one of the best players in the league. You had better hope NJD has a bad start so Lou can get top dollar for him. I really don't seem him staying in NJ.

:beer

As Self appointed all powerful leader of Leafs Nation...:cheeky4::laugh::laugh::beer

All kidding aside, if I'm Burke I smell blood in the water and I target Parise and go full throttle in an effort to get him.

To TOR:
Parise
Zubrus

To NJD:
MacArthur
Kadri
Bozak
Komisarek
1st/3rd Conditional 2012(making playoffs: 1st if NJD don't make playoffs, 3rd if they do. )
1st/2nd Conditional 2013(making playoffs: 1st if NJD don't make playoffs, 3rd if they do. )

If Burke can sell Kadri as the next Gionta, and MacArthur as the next Elias(lite)(which they very well might be) I like it. If the players bust for NJ and the team misses the playoffs, they still would get a couple of 1st rnd picks.

I think several team could beat this package if they are willing to give up what it would take to get Zach.

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
Oh great, another Zach Parise trade rumor thread. As if I haven't read enough of them at various forums over the last week.:n

I think people are quick to assume just because he signed a one year deal that he's gone. But if he really did want out, why wouldn't he have just gone through arbitration? Everything I've read from Parise's interviews suggests he wants to stay. Maybe it's just him saying the right things, like most hockey players seem to, but I tend to believe him.

Lou is not going to trade Parise unless he asks for a trade, or they have another disaster of a season, and I think they'll be back in the playoffs this year. It wouldn't make sense to trade one of their best players if they're in playoff contention just because they could lose him in free agency. Lou didn't do it with Gomez, Gionta, Rafalski, or Madden before they left, and I don't expect him to with Parise.

Patrik Elias went all the way to free agency before he signed a long-term contract with the Devils, so this isn't anything new. I think ultimately Parise will stay, but I have been wrong before.

And there isn't a chance in hell of me hoping the Devils have a bad start. I saw enough of that **** the first half of last season.;)

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Oh great, another Zach Parise trade rumor thread. As if I haven't read enough of them at various forums over the last week.:n

I think people are quick to assume just because he signed a one year deal that he's gone. But if he really did want out, why wouldn't he have just gone through arbitration? Everything I've read from Parise's interviews suggests he wants to stay. Maybe it's just him saying the right things, like most hockey players seem to, but I tend to believe him.

Lou is not going to trade Parise unless he asks for a trade, or they have another disaster of a season, and I think they'll be back in the playoffs this year. It wouldn't make sense to trade one of their best players if they're in playoff contention just because they could lose him in free agency. Lou didn't do it with Gomez, Gionta, Rafalski, or Madden before they left, and I don't expect him to with Parise.

Patrik Elias went all the way to free agency before he signed a long-term contract with the Devils, so this isn't anything new. I think ultimately Parise will stay, but I have been wrong before.

And there isn't a chance in hell of me hoping the Devils have a bad start. I saw enough of that **** the first half of last season.;)
Only stupid players Alienate a teams Management and locker room by saying they want a trade, or don't want to play for said team while speaking to the media.

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
Only stupid players Alienate a teams Management and locker room by saying they want a trade, or don't want to play for said team while speaking to the media.
Understandable, I'm just sick of hearing how it's "obvious" Parise wants out, when it's not. But then that mainly comes from Leafs fans who think that there's some kind of Brian Burke/Zach Parise connection because they're both American.;)

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Understandable, I'm just sick of hearing how it's "obvious" Parise wants out, when it's not. But then that mainly comes from Leafs fans who think that there's some kind of Brian Burke/Zach Parise connection because they're both American.;)
I don't think it's obvious Parise wants out. Just that it seems plausible considering the one year deal.

And I've never heard of a Burke to Parise connection. I've only heard that Burke holds Parise highly and would love to add him to our team because of his solid two way play and heart towards the game.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
The link between Burke and Parise is quite simple.

Leafs need: top line players
Leafs have: cap space

Burke will try to acquire Parise, especially if he hits UFA, but whether he gets him is a completely different story.

The only other link is that Parise played for Burke/Wilson at the Olympics and played very well.

·
Registered
146 Posts

Burke will try to acquire Parise, especially if he hits UFA, but whether he gets him is a completely different story.

The only other link is that Parise played for Burke/Wilson at the Olympics and played very well.
If the Leafs don't make the playoffs this year, i don't think Burke should be around to be able to get Parise at all. Plain and simple

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
And he very well may not, but if Burke is still the GM I can almost guarantee he will take a run at Parise.

Having said that, it doesn't mean a whole lot, since Burke is against the cap circumventing deals which means he is pretty much out of the running of all of the top FAs.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Sorry MD, but I think all NJD did was buy themselves a year to move one of the best players in the league. You had better hope NJD has a bad start so Lou can get top dollar for him. I really don't seem him staying in NJ.

:beer

As Self appointed all powerful leader of Leafs Nation...:cheeky4::laugh::laugh::beer

All kidding aside, if I'm Burke I smell blood in the water and I target Parise and go full throttle in an effort to get him.

To TOR:
Parise
Zubrus

To NJD:
MacArthur
Kadri
Bozak
Komisarek
1st/3rd Conditional 2012(making playoffs: 1st if NJD don't make playoffs, 3rd if they do. )
1st/2nd Conditional 2013(making playoffs: 1st if NJD don't make playoffs, 3rd if they do. )

If Burke can sell Kadri as the next Gionta, and MacArthur as the next Elias(lite)(which they very well might be) I like it. If the players bust for NJ and the team misses the playoffs, they still would get a couple of 1st rnd picks.

I think several team could beat this package if they are willing to give up what it would take to get Zach.

Keep dreaming Toronto fans..:n

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Keep dreaming Toronto fans..:n
That actually looks like a legitimate deal in terms of value. Personally i don't think Parise is moving but you never know.

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
And he very well may not, but if Burke is still the GM I can almost guarantee he will take a run at Parise.

Having said that, it doesn't mean a whole lot, since Burke is against the cap circumventing deals which means he is pretty much out of the running of all of the top FAs.
Lou has publicly said he doesn't like them either, but he still signed Kovalchuk to one. If Burke had the chance to sign Parise to a similar contract, I think he might bend a little in his stance.

As for Parise getting traded, I'd be surprised if he gets moved. As long as Lou thinks there's a chance of Parise staying, he's not going to deal him. That's just the way he operates.

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
Hey, your boss tells you to do something, what choice do you have?

Daryl
Exactly. I still think the whole Kovalchuk thing was more ownership than Lou. I don't think Lou really thought about keeping him long-term when he traded for him. He was a rental at the time. But Vanderbeek wanted him enough, so Lou did what he could. The same thing applies to Burke. If MLSE really wants to sign Parise to a similar contract, what is Burke going to do? Refuse?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I don't think it's obvious Parise wants out. Just that it seems plausible considering the one year deal.

And I've never heard of a Burke to Parise connection. I've only heard that Burke holds Parise highly and would love to add him to our team because of his solid two way play and heart towards the game.

·
Registered
248 Posts
The one year deal bought the Devils another year to figure out how they are going to move forward. Another repercussion from the Kovalchuck signing. Man are these monster term contracts ever looking bad. Are any of them turning out well?

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
The one year deal bought the Devils another year to figure out how they are going to move forward. Another repercussion from the Kovalchuk signing. Man are these monster term contracts ever looking bad. Are any of them turning out well?
I think it's still too early to tell on many of them. Kovalchuk, for example, has a very affordable cap hit in the prime of his career. From that angle, his contract is fine. It's when they've got $6.67 million in cap space committed to a 38+ year old Kovalchuk when it could become a problem.

Although the actual salary he's getting paid could become an issue when negotiating with Parise. If they would sign him to a similar deal, they could be paying $20+ million in actual salary to two players in the next few years.

I'd like to believe Kovalchuk's contract won't be a factor in whether or not Parise stays, but realistically it has to play at least some part in it.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I think it's still too early to tell on many of them. Kovalchuk, for example, has a very affordable cap hit in the prime of his career. From that angle, his contract is fine. It's when they've got $6.67 million in cap space committed to a 38+ year old Kovalchuk when it could become a problem.

Although the actual salary he's getting paid could become an issue when negotiating with Parise. If they would sign him to a similar deal, they could be paying $20+ million in actual salary to two players in the next few years.

I'd like to believe Kovalchuk's contract won't be a factor in whether or not Parise stays, but realistically it has to play at least some part in it.
I wonder if someone else might have to be moved, like Zajac or something. When is Elias' contract done? As far as the large contracts, to me the issue is the term. Even Ovechkin right now and last year simply isn't earning the 10+ million he's being paid. Depietro is a whole can of worms. If Vancouver could get rid of Loungo being that Schieder is just as good I'm sure they would. It's not that Jersey is gonna have to trade the farm away or anything it just seems teams that have these obligations tend to be the teams fluttering around trying to squeeze everything in.

The devils are very close to a major transition with Marty almost retiring (although I hope he doesn't) and guys like Elias and Sykora getting up in age. It'll be really interesting to see what they do. If these guys do fade off the next couple years the Kovi deal won't be a big deal at all. But you know, I know they play a defensive system, but Kovi production has tailed since his signing too. It's just too much guaranteed money, I wonder if guys lose a little bit of motivation.

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
Cap space really shouldn't be an issue with trying to retain Parise. The two big chunks of money coming off the cap this offseason are Brodeur and Salvador, who take up 8 million in cap space. Both of them could be done after this season (it pains me to think of it, but Marty could retire), and even if they do come back it'll probably be for about half of what they're making this year. The following offseason Elias and Zubrus, who take up over 9 million in space both come off the books. I could see them both returning, but likely for less than their current contracts.

The issue is more likely going to be the amount of money in the contract. Starting next season Kovalchuk will be making 11 million in actual salary. If they similarly front loaded Parise's contract, they could be looking at having a good 4-5 years (if not more) of paying 20 million in salary to just two players. That's a hell of a lot of money.

The real wild card in this whole thing is the next CBA. Are they going to make any changes to the limits on contracts? Are really long term deals even going to be allowed? That could come into play with whatever kind of contract Parise ends up getting.

And the Devils are in the middle of a transition. The future looks pretty bright with Larsson, Josefson, Tedenby, Henrique, Fayne, and some of the other solid looking prospects they have. Then you've got the "old guard" with Marty, Elias, Sykora, Salvador, Zubrus, who are all on the backsides of their careers. It might be a few years before the Devils are truly contenders again, and does Parise want to be part of that? Or would he rather go to a team that could likely win in the next few years?

From this post you probably wouldn't think I'm optimistic that Parise will stay, but for some reason I am. Maybe I'm just delusional.:laugh:

·
Premium Member
2,541 Posts
From this post you probably wouldn't think I'm optimistic that Parise will stay, but for some reason I am. Maybe I'm just delusional.:laugh:
I hope you are right. Certainly Henrique and Larsson have shown to be potentiality world class players but, the others you have mention have yet to show that they can really fill in major roles on a franchise. Obviously still young but if NJ losses Parise and with Brodeur winding down one has to think NJ is ebbing into a very dark time for their franchise. I have heard comments here or there that they are gonna make a push for Schnieder at seasons end, but that is gonna cost them and outside of bringing someone in the Devils have nothing really within their system that has shown itself to be a long term starter in the league. Parise when healthy and on his game is probably the third best forward in the league and NJ will questionable playoff team with him on their roster next season, without him its grim so I can only hope he stays, it be a shame to see a dynasty of success that the NJ was just crash and burn.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey guys.....I'm new to the forumn but this has been a hot topic. After watching Parise in Boston and against the Canes I couldnt help but wonder why they would have locked Kovalchuk up long term before Parise. Kovalchuk is talented but Parise is a stud.

I think Nj has to take a run at him but as far as him going anywhere else he would certaintly be a huge asset to anyone. I personally would like to see him in a high flying offense. Imagine him skating with some of the younger guys in Edmonton? or Chicago? But please not Toronto haha.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts