Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Every year, each team invites some undrafted players to participate in their prospect camps. Last year, the Red Wings signed Willie Coetzee to their camp and signed him, and the season prior saw them do the same thing with defenseman Brian Lashoff and center Brent Raedeke.

This year, our beloved Red Wings have invited three players to participate: LW Darren Archibald of the Barrie Colts (OHL), D Alex Cord of the Mississauga St. Michael's Majors (OHL), and RW Trevor Parkes of the Montreal Juniors (QMJHL).

A power forward who hits, fights and scores goals, as well as being steady in his own end. You'll probably remember Archibald by this thread and this play specifically.

Regardless, Archibald is big (standing 6'3) and productive, recording 26 goals and 33 assists for 59 points in 57 games this season.

Alex Cord is an interesting player as well. I haven't seen a whole lot of Cord in any sense (just two games with Mississauga this year), but from what I have seen, he has great size on the backend and while he's not going to be a huge point producer, he could very well pan out to be a physical defensive defenseman.

Again, good size (standing 6'2). Split last season with Mississauga of the OHL and Oakville in Junior A. No points in 10 games with Mississauga, 9 points in 38 with Oakville.

Finally, there's Trevor Parkes. He's willing to go into dirty areas of the ice to get the puck and put it into the net. Ton of motivation since he was passed over in the OHL draft two years in a row and then went to the QMJHL. Similar to Coetzee playing with Ferraro last year, Parkes plays with Louis-Marc Aubry, our third round pick this year.

He's a little skinny now, but he's got a good frame at 6'1. Scored 27 goals and recorded 20 assists for 47 points in 66 games this last season. Also had 6 goals (and 1 assist) in 7 playoff games this season.

·
Premium Member
1,164 Posts
I don't know too much about these guys, or anyone else in the juniors talent poll for that matter, but these three looks pretty promising.

·
Premium Member
6,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know too much about these guys, or anyone else in the juniors talent poll for that matter, but these three looks pretty promising.
I like Archibald (still think the play with Grubauer is garbage though) and there was a write-up in my blog about him as part of my 'Passed Over In 2010' series. I think that if he makes the NHL and maxes out his potential, he could definitely play a similar role that McCarty did on the Grind Line.

·
Premium Member
6,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Dean Chelios (yes, Chris Chelios' 20 year old son) has also been at camp. He goes to Michigan State. Apparently he's looking good too, and has a heavy shot.

Full roster: http://blog.mlive.com/snapshots/2010/07/a_full_red_wings_prospect_camp.html

TEAM LIDSTROM:

Goaltenders:

38 Thomas McCollum
66 Drew Palmisano*

Defensemen:

2 Brendan Smith
4 Ben Marshall
39 Sebastien Piche
54 Gleason Fournier
63 Alex Cord*

Forwards:

15 Brent Raedeke
45 Andrej Nestrasil
49 Travis Novak*
50 Riley Sheahan
53 Dean Chelios*
65 Trevor Parkes*
70 Willie Coetzee
71 Daniel McNamara*
72 Casey Fraser*
73 Brooks Macek

TEAM ZETTERBERG

Goaltenders:

31 Bryan Mountain*
34 Petr Mrazek

Defensemen:

27 Travis Ehrhardt
47 Max Nicastro
56 Bryan Rufenach
60 Nick Jensen
68 Dean Chelios*

Forwards:

32 Mitchell Callahan
41 Jesse Fraser*
48 Louis-Marc Aubry
57 Landon Ferraro
58 Broc Little*
59 Nick Oslund
61 Ryan Hohl*
62 Calle Jarnkrok
64 Darren Archibald*
67 Reed Seckel*
I assume that one of the two 'Dean Chelios' listed is a typo and Jake Chelios is actually there too.

* - Invited player

Brendan Smith looks very, very poised out there and says that he's definitely taking a leadership role to help the younger players along. He was deftly asked about his off-ice incidents and he stated that he hopes that joining the Red Wings provides him with a clean slate, and that the incidents had been addressed. On the ice, he's the most talented player out there, and off the ice, he's gregarious, outgoing and well-spoken.

Draft pick Ben Marshall might very well be 5'8" and 150 lbs. without his equipment on, but his skating and puckhandling skills certainly speak to the fact that he's only going into his senior year of high school and could fill out into something very special;

Riley Sheahan comes as advertised--he's a power forward. He also got mobbed by the media for a good fifteen minutes;

Thomas McCollum looks much more solid this time around and he remains the coolest cucumber in the room (nice guy, too);

Last year, Brent Raedeke just sort of slinked around. This year, he looks like a powerful skater with slick bursts of speed, he's got a deft shot, passes smartly, sees the ice well and works his butt off;

Dean Chelios's greatest asset is the fact that he's actually faster with the puck on his stick than he is skating without it--most players lose a stride or three when puckhandling, but Chelios gains one;

Brooks Macek has great wheels but looks quite raw;

Drew Palmisano, for lack of a better term, seals the ice tremendously well but has "crazy hands" that move about on their own. Goaltenders hope to move their glove and blocker hand in unison when moving across the crease and try to limit movements, and Palmisano's hands are all over the place;

Sebastien Piche, a very slick skater with a nice outlet pass, was often used alongside Gleason Fournier and Smith and Marshall as the "core" defenders during Curt Fraser's drills;

1 - 4 of 4 Posts