Hockey Fan Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
shane472 said:
Perrault is a real steal for that price. Not the best faceoff man in the league though.
Perrault is the best faceoff man in the league. He has been consistently the best over the years.

This season so far he has a 62% rate. Brind'amour is second with 61%

Both are excellent, but the edge goes to Perrault

·
Registered
368 Posts
How does the edge go to Perrault? Brind'amour has taken 1136 faceoffs as of today compared to only 549 for Perrault. Of course if you take less your percentage should be a bit higher. And it's not even a full percent higher. Head-to-head Brind'amour was 8/13 against Perrault and you say Perrault is the better of the two? Against Carolina Perrault only managed to win 38% of his draws and that's against Brind'amour, Cullen (50%), Adams (50%) and Staal (40%). Brind'amour won 78% of his draws in that game. Perrault just isn't as good as he used to be and Brind'amour hasn't lost a step. He's the best faceoff man in my opinion.

·
Registered
122 Posts
shane472 said:
Of course if you take less your percentage should be a bit higher.
I don't mean to be a jerk, but please explain your logic behind that statement. A sample size of over 500 is definately large enough. I can see what you're trying to say, but it only works if Perrault had taken like 10 faceoffs all season and won 7 of them.

As for the head to head stats, I would throw your argument right back at you and say that it is way too small of a sample size to conclude that Brind-amour is the better faceoff guy.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I just think if you're taking that many more a game there's potential to lose more. Getting worn down from all the ice time and losing your focus, etc. I could very easily be wrong but I still think Brind'amour is the better face off man at this point and I feel that his head-to-head stats with Perrault do prove this. It's just a matter of opinion and mine may be a bit biased since I'm a canes fan but this is the way I feel.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
shane472 said:
I just think if you're taking that many more a game there's potential to lose more. Getting worn down from all the ice time and losing your focus, etc. I could very easily be wrong but I still think Brind'amour is the better face off man at this point and I feel that his head-to-head stats with Perrault do prove this. It's just a matter of opinion and mine may be a bit biased since I'm a canes fan but this is the way I feel.

I can kinda see what you're getting at here Shane. I feel that you have a point about wearing down over the course of a game...I know these guys are pro but it might not be too far fetched to suggest that you may be one or two percent less effective when you're feeling fatigued. You gotta throw out the head to head stats IMO, there are just not enough faceoffs beteen the two to make a good comparison. If Perrault were to win 3 faceoffs in a row the next game then they'd be tied 8-8, it's nothing to do that....gimmee about a hundred draws between the two to draw a solid comparison between them.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Montreal_Goalie39 said:
Perreault is better, he's been the best (by a huge number) for the past 5 years atleast.
Yes, this is the reason why I gave him the edge

This season Brind'amour is better on faceoffs..

However, over the years..Perrault has consistently been the best

·
Registered
52 Posts
Wow, Right at home!

I love this thread! I'm an old country boy from Nashville, grew up lovin the Habs, and stuck in eastern NC. Now I'm stuck watching Carolina beat up on my boys. I think that Perreault is a great player, and at least the Habs screwed up another trade, in a good way for me this time! But, You have to remember we have other guys on the team that are not performing up to par, and one man on the reserve. I think once Legy comes back, that this kid is gonna get knocked back down in the ranks like he did in Montreal. Get Sully, Legwand and Erat back on a line together, and the chemestry is unbelievable. That will be a line that will produce night after night. And, it will get our power play back together too! Now if Koun can just keep his head on straight, we might have a shot at at least a 2nd or 3rd round. Who know's don't want to jinx it, maybe a finals appearance. We just need the Ducks playing well enough to get the last spot in the playoffs and Detroit is toast again. :nsh :hands:

21 - 28 of 28 Posts