Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another one for the record books bud!

Go av's dont need louongo going over ;)

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
How's this for a perfect setup. Marty ties Parent's record on Parent's birthday, and then breaks the record in Philadelphia. Awesome season by Marty, let's hope it pays off in another Vezina and possibly a Hart as well...

·
HF-MOTM Winner - Apr 08
6,349 Posts
congrats to brodeur. he's been a solid goaltender for a long time. it's amazing that the record has stood for over 30 years and this year, there might be two players to pass bernie. pretty interesting stuff. i like how bernie doesn't feel there should be an asterisk because of the shootout.

·
Premium Member
3,516 Posts
congrats to brodeur. he's been a solid goaltender for a long time. it's amazing that the record has stood for over 30 years and this year, there might be two players to pass bernie. pretty interesting stuff. i like how bernie doesn't feel there should be an asterisk because of the shootout.
With all due respect to Marty, the rules have come together pretty well for him to break the record.

a) The league plays 4 more games per year now than in 1974.
b) Teams didn't play OT at that time. At the end of regulation, if the game was tied it ended like that, without the opportunity for recording a win.

This season, Brodeur has 34, well short of Parent's 47. Marty has had 14 wins that came in overtime or shootout, which are situations in which Parent simply didn't have the opportunity to pick up wins.

Again, I'm not trying to knock Brodeur, as he's my pick for the Vezina this season. However, this "record" badly needs to context for it make real sense.

Daryl

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
With all due respect to Marty, the rules have come together pretty well for him to break the record.

a) The league plays 4 more games per year now than in 1974.
b) Teams didn't play OT at that time. At the end of regulation, if the game was tied it ended like that, without the opportunity for recording a win.

This season, Brodeur has 34, well short of Parent's 47. Marty has had 14 wins that came in overtime or shootout, which are situations in which Parent simply didn't have the opportunity to pick up wins.

Again, I'm not trying to knock Brodeur, as he's my pick for the Vezina this season. However, this "record" badly needs to context for it make real sense.

Daryl

i guess that could be said of any position daryl. overtimes give any player more time to add to his totals. could be any record such as goals, assist and so on.

maybe its time then if people want to question records because of the overtimes and shootouts then maybe add seperate stats for them.
overtime wins, overtime goals, overtime assist.

sure why not. it would also show one players worth in the clutch if they changed the scoring formats.

·
HF-MOTM Winner - Apr 08
6,349 Posts
I agree with both of the previous two posts. but at the same time, brodeur is and excellent goaltender, regardless of the rules, however, getting a win is a lot more valuable than adding an assist or a goal for the winner. also being healthy enough to play as many games as brodeur does every year is also an important factor. the fact that he's played over 95 percent of the devils games over the last 125 games or so is just ridiculous.

As much as I'm not a fan of the asterisk, there should be perhaps a new record book to honor those who have excelled under different types of play. the records from the time before the forward pass was allowed should still stand. same thing with the overtime/shootout era.

from the standpoint that kids are starting to play at a younger age, with better equipment, better nutrition and workout knowledge, of course the players of today are ultimately better than those of the past, for the most part, but i think respect should be paid to those who set basically unreachable records like parent's was.

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
Rules change, players change, game changes. I'd like to see some of the greats from yesteryear goaltend in this era.
Some could argue with the goaltender not being able to play the puck it hinders their chances of winning, albeit slightly.

·
Premium Member
3,516 Posts
Brodeur broke the record fair and square. ALL SPORTS ARE LIKE THIS. The game changes, and new records are set.
Yes, all sports evolve and change; I don't think that anybody would care to deny it. However, when we see a record like this we need to view it in the proper context. In this case, Broduer (compared to Parent) had a disproportionate number of opportunities to break that record.

No asterisk, no attempts to say that Broduer shouldn't be regarded as the record holder. Merely a look at plain fact to minimize the myopia that plagues the world of hockey records.

Awesome job Marty!
Brodeur certainly has been great this season.

Daryl

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Yes, all sports evolve and change; I don't think that anybody would care to deny it. However, when we see a record like this we need to view it in the proper context. In this case, Broduer (compared to Parent) had a disproportionate number of opportunities to break that record.

No asterisk, no attempts to say that Broduer shouldn't be regarded as the record holder. Merely a look at plain fact to minimize the myopia that plagues the world of hockey records.

Brodeur certainly has been great this season.

Daryl

Daryl i agree also. but one thing its not the same game as it used to be.

What i would like to see are a few things one though i posted back a few post.

The other how about having all new records starting from the year 2000. and keeping the old records intact from the 1900's

they could call the records from 2000 on the NEW NHL RECORDS.

maybe it sounds good to a few maybe it doesnt. but i like it beter then an asterik.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts