Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On hockey day in canada saturday the CBC news reports that the demolition of the historic winnipeg arena has begun. i was lucky to have made it to the historic arena in march of 1987 for a detroit vs winnipeg jets game and loved the arena.i even got the chance to go onto the ice after the game. the arena is located next door the the winnipeg football stadium. as i am sure that most people all ready HERE know i saw this PROGRESS SUCKS. granted the arena did not have the same mystic or history of the original 6 arenas but i enjoyed going there for a game. i heard that they just renovated the arena not that long ago. they could have used it for something rather than tearing it down. its a waste. SO LONG WINNIPEG ARENA THANKS FOR THE MEMORIES R.I.P.:mad:

·
Super Leafs Fan
4,714 Posts
Alright, so Winnipeg, with its beautiful state of the art 15,000 seat arena, should waste tax dollars on an out of date rink just to keep it maintained for traditions sake?

And I have my doubts about those rumoured renovations, and i did some research.

First of all, the minor renovations were new club seats that are padded, (aren't club seats a newer thing anwyays) an upgrade in concessions, a new Manitoba Moose gear store (which seem to very a more recent arena trend) and a new bar and grill. (more modern as well ). these happened in the mid to late 80s anyways.

Also in 1999, they got new scoreboards. Why? because, according to ballparks.com: Winnipeg Arena will get new replay boards, which were donated by the Toronto Raptors. The replay boards were originally used for a scoreboard for Toronto Raptors home games when they played at SkyDome. After they moved to the Air Canada Centre, there was no more need for the scoreboard and it came to Winnipeg Arena.

The MTS Centre was needed. Seating was just over 10,000 for the Moose games. However, too bad Winnipeg lacked the foresight to build a bit larger arena (around 17-19,000) in order to accomodate a return NHL team if necessary.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
winnipeg arena

go_leafs_go02 said:
Alright, so Winnipeg, with its beautiful state of the art 15,000 seat arena, should waste tax dollars on an out of date rink just to keep it maintained for traditions sake?

First of all, the minor renovations were new club seats that are padded, (aren't club seats a newer thing anwyays) an upgrade in concessions, a new Manitoba Moose gear store (which seem to very a more recent arena trend) and a new bar and grill. (more modern as well ). these happened in the mid to late 80s anyways.

Also in 1999, they got new scoreboards. Why? because, according to ballparks.com: Winnipeg Arena will get new replay boards, which were donated by the Toronto Raptors. The replay boards were originally used for a scoreboard for Toronto Raptors home games when they played at SkyDome. After they moved to the Air Canada Centre, there was no more need for the scoreboard and it came to Winnipeg Arena.

The MTS Centre was needed. Seating was just over 10,000 for the Moose games. However, too bad Winnipeg lacked the foresight to build a bit larger arena (around 17-19,000) in order to accomodate a return NHL team if necessary.

The jets along with the nordiques could have stayed at he winnipeg arena and the colisee. there was nothing wrong with the winnipeg arena. they expanded the seating back in the late 1970s and they could have installed those club boxes that these owners claim they need so bad. so another classic arena bites the dust and the younger fans who dont know any better dont care.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Winnipeg Arena Gone

Well on sunday morning the historic winnipeg arena finally was demolished. but the arena i guess got the last laugh.the arena did not completely come down after the charges were lit.most of the arena was left standing and had to be torn down the old fashion way.this reminds me of when the day the old met center the home of the minnesota north stars was imploded and after the imploshion most of the arena was still standing.R.I.P WINNIPEG ARENA 1955-2006.

·
Registered
36 Posts
miss that arena

go_leafs_go02 said:

that brings back alotta memories, thank you

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
As a fellow Winnipeger, I feel so sad that it got demolished. The MTS Center is alot, I mean alot more fashionable then the Winnipeg Arena, but it doesn't have that same feel. The first NHL game I ever attended was at that arena. Winnipeg Jets vs. Dallas Stars. And I remember going to a moose game a few years back, where they awarded the old Jets, and the Moose wore Jets jersey's in comemoration.

As for the building, they took it down so they can expand our biggest mall, and make it even bigger. (which by the way isn't even that big)

The arena was alot stronger then they suspected. The implosion was supposed to bring down the whole building, but the four main pillars wouldn't fall down. :haha: They had to get the construction workers to take out the pillars by machine.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=VTbWG4HFbHs&search=winnipeg arena

·
Premium Member
2,541 Posts
Crazy Roy Fan said:
As a fellow Winnipeger, I feel so sad that it got demolished. The MTS Center is alot, I mean alot more fashionable then the Winnipeg Arena, but it doesn't have that same feel. The first NHL game I ever attended was at that arena. Winnipeg Jets vs. Dallas Stars. And I remember going to a moose game a few years back, where they awarded the old Jets, amdm the Moose wore Jets jersey's in comemoration.

As for the building, they took it down so they can expand our biggest mall, and make it even bigger. (which by the way isn't even that big)

The arena was alot stronger then they suspected. The implosion was supposed to bring down the whole building, but the four main pillars wouldn't fall down. :haha: They had to get the construction workers to take out the pillars by machine.

You know the incompedent knobs who sent those charges are engineers who also build bridges... ah, I think I will take the boat to Newfoundland thank you.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Crazy Roy Fan said:
As a fellow Winnipeger, I feel so sad that it got demolished. The MTS Center is alot, I mean alot more fashionable then the Winnipeg Arena, but it doesn't have that same feel. The first NHL game I ever attended was at that arena. Winnipeg Jets vs. Dallas Stars. And I remember going to a moose game a few years back, where they awarded the old Jets, and the Moose wore Jets jersey's in comemoration.

It wont die! It JUST WONT DIE!! way to go winipeg arena!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts