Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Associated Press
10/25/2006 10:19:31 PM

DETROIT (AP) - Robert Lang's third-period goal broke a tie and lifted the Detroit Red Wings to a 2-1 win over the San Jose Sharks on Wednesday night.

Detroit (4-4-1), which ended a three-game losing streak, also got a goal and an assist from Mathieu Schneider. Dominik Hasek made 22 saves, including a tip attempt and rebound by Steve Bernier with 37 seconds left and a backhander by Milan Michalek from in close with 30.2 seconds left.

Bernier scored the lone goal for San Jose (7-3-0).

Lang broke a 1-1 tie with 8:58 remaining by tipping in a shot from the point by Schneider for his third goal of the season.

Schneider's power-play goal 38 seconds into the third period tied the game 1-1. Schneider beat Evgeni Nabokov, who was being screened by Tomas Holmstrom, with a one-time slap shot from the top of the right circle.

Nabokov finished with 21 saves.

FULL STORY

·
Registered
163 Posts
Huge win for Detroit!!! They were going through a very tough time with three straight losses. Even bigger to beat the San Jose Sharks. The Wings are still considered a Western Conference "Powerhouse" according to Barry Melrose.

·
Premium Member
4,519 Posts
Kovalchuk17 said:
Huge win for Detroit!!! They were going through a very tough time with three straight losses. Even bigger to beat the San Jose Sharks. The Wings are still considered a Western Conference "Powerhouse" according to Barry Melrose.
Why wouldn't they be considered a Western Conference powerhouse? Taking a look at the Red Wings defence is enough to make any team a little worried about scoring against us. Our offence is admittedly not doing so great, but its a young group, and I think that as the season goes on they will really start to gel and score big goals. For me, its still not that hard to see the Red Wings winning the Stanley Cup.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
i like the positive flow here. they will at least make the playoffs if you wanna be realistic.

·
Registered
163 Posts
wingsnut19 said:
Why wouldn't they be considered a Western Conference powerhouse? Taking a look at the Red Wings defence is enough to make any team a little worried about scoring against us. Our offence is admittedly not doing so great, but its a young group, and I think that as the season goes on they will really start to gel and score big goals. For me, its still not that hard to see the Red Wings winning the Stanley Cup.
I have heard that they aren't good anymore, and Barry saying they are still a powerhouse really means a lot.

·
Premium Member
4,519 Posts
I'm not going to say that the Red Wings are going to win the Stanley Cup, but I think that they have a chance. Who would have thought that Carolina would win it at the beginning of last season? Or that the Oilers were going to make it to the Finals? Or that Tampa was going to win the year before, with Calgary as their opponents.

People assume that looking at a lineup that isn't as chuck full of stars as it was before, that means that the team doesn't have what it takes. Personally, I'm happy to be the underdog this time around, that way people won't see us coming.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts