Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Leafs Fan
4,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/news/?id=1346

Ontario Hockey League Fines Team, Suspends Coach & General Manager

Windsor, Ontario, October 18, 2005 - The Ontario Hockey League, (OHL), has levied fines totaling $35,000 against the Windsor Spitfires and suspended the team’s Coach and General Manager, Moe Mantha.

The fines, of $25,000 and $10,000 respectively, follow an investigation by the OHL into a “hazing” incident on September 9th on the team bus and an incident at a team practice on September 28th. ($25,000 is the maximum fine that can be levied by the League per incident).

The OHL believes that a lack of effective leadership by management was a factor in the two separate incidents.

“I conclude that the lack of leadership and what transpired were dishonourable and prejudicial to the well being of the League and its players,” said OHL Commissioner David Branch.

As a result of the hazing incident, Mantha will be suspended for one year as General Manager and 25 games as coach. He will be suspended for a further 15 games from coaching as a result of the incident at the team practice, for a total suspension from coaching for 40 games.

The hazing incident occurred when the Spitfires were returning from an exhibition game in London against the Knights and involved a small number of players being told to strip and stand in the washroom at the back of the bus by other players. The identities of the players involved will remain confidential to protect their privacy.

“The OHL has a zero tolerance policy against hazing, our Member Teams know that, and that is why it is imperative that the League make a strong statement against it,” said Branch. A copy of the OHL policy is attached.

“The League and its members are committed to providing an environment where each player joining the League is welcomed in a professional and dignified manner,” Branch added.

The investigation of the two matters included discussions with Steve Riolo, owner and President of the Windsor Spitfires Hockey Club, as well as Moe Mantha, two assistant coaches, two team trainers and 25 players.

“The League has a deep responsibility to all our players and their families to foster and provide a healthy environment for the development and well-being of all the young men in our League. We must never lose sight of our obligation in this area. Everyone connected with the Ontario Hockey League must learn and grow as a result of this experience,” concluded Branch.
As well on September 28, Steve Downie and another player started fighting during Practice. Since then, Steve Downie has left the team.

(Windsor) The Windsor Spitfires today announced their decision with regards to the incident during a team practice on Wednesday September 28,2005 between teammates Steve Downie and Akim Aliu.

Following this incident, which resulted in injury to Akim Aliu from an inappropriate use of a stick by Steve Downie, the Windsor Spitfires organization, lead by Owner and President Steve Riolo, launched an investigation prior to making any disciplinary decisions. Akim Aliu suffered two lacerations above left eye one requiring 2 sutures and one requiring 3 sutures; teeth showed two chipped front upper teeth, with possible future loss of these two teeth.

As a result of the September 28,2005 incident it has been decided by the Spitfire Organization: Steve Riolo(Owner/President), Moe Mantha( GM/Coach),Vince Bassman (Governor),Bill Bowler (Assistant Coach).DJ Smith (Assistant Coach), Steve Horne (Director of Business Development)

Spitfire- Steve Downie will receive (team imposed)
a) must participate in the completion of a personal counseling program
b) will be able to return immediately for regular practice and workouts with the team
c) a 5 game suspension as a result of the cross-check incident, eligible to return Thursday October 13, 2005.

Spitfire- Akim Aliu will receive (team imposed)
a) must participate in the completion of a personal counseling program
b) a 1 game suspension (game already served September 29, 2005)

“We truly believe that this decision was made with the young men and their futures in mind”, commented Steve Riolo, “We are committed to providing a safe environment for all of our players and cannot allow behavior which could be detrimental to the well being of teammates and or the hockey club.”

http://www.windsorspitfires.com/viewcon.php?id=689
Thats all the information I have right now. Its a huge incident in the Ontario Hockey League, and this is the first time I've heard of it. I heard a little bit about Downie, but not too much else.

Your thoughts? Personally I think Mantha got exactly what he deserves, but the players involved should also receive discipline. Windsor is one of the worst franchises in the OHL. They play in an 80-90 year arena, have a cheap owner, and have no hope in Windsor at the present moment.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
maybe its because i'm sick.

the man is getting suspended because his players decided to haze someone? or he didn't do anything about it? if he didn't do anything about it (and assuming he knew it was going on) then shame on him, but the players should get dinged for a whole lot more.

if he didn't know anything about it, that's harsh.

well, to be honest that's one harsh punishment regardless.

·
Super Leafs Fan
4,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lapniappe said:
maybe its because i'm sick.

the man is getting suspended because his players decided to haze someone? or he didn't do anything about it? if he didn't do anything about it (and assuming he knew it was going on) then shame on him, but the players should get dinged for a whole lot more.

if he didn't know anything about it, that's harsh.

well, to be honest that's one harsh punishment regardless.
From what I gather, he was on the bus, he knew about the incident on the bus, and did nothing about it. He definately did have knowledge of the fact taking place.

Also, with the downie incident, coaches were merely watching the incident. If I were them, I'd get in with the rest of the sane-minded teams and separate and stop the incident as soon as possible.

Absolutely classless of those involved.

·
Premium Member
13,305 Posts
Good call by Branch.!!:0pouce: Mantha deserves everthing he got as he obviously had no controll over his team,and showed no leadership what so ever.!! The OHL did everything right involving this incident.

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
The team is in some serious trouble.

Their arena is all but fallen apart, this years squad is extremely young, and they can't even co-operate on and off the ice.

·
Registered
10 Posts
flyerfan2 said:
Good call by Branch.!!:0pouce: Mantha deserves everthing he got as he obviously had no controll over his team,and showed no leadership what so ever.!! The OHL did everything right involving this incident.
I agree 100%. It's pretty sad, because the Belleville Bulls' coach George Burnett considered Moe a good personal friend of his

1 - 7 of 7 Posts