Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this team was young but with all that talent how could that team not be successful? Goaltending maybe a concern but they certainly could've outscored any team in the NHL this day and age. Even with equipment changes. If anyone has any thoughts please I'd like to hear them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya i guess that could be why he ruined a perfectly great canadian franchis man i miss the old teams from canada they need another Quebec/ Montreal Rivalry going toronto and ottawa is just embarassing to watch.:laugh:

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Well Colorado needed a team no matter what so someone was going to get moved.

Does anyone think Quebec City will ever get another NHL team?

I heard it was one of the fastest shrinking cities in the country and it's not like the league would gain anything in TV ratings.

·
Registered
77 Posts
i heard pitts is movin into kitchener or hamilton in that area that would be so cool crosby would be right where he belongs and thats in canada:D

·
Registered
306 Posts
Among my hockey fight tapes I have a Nordiques tape.I always liked the Nords.I also have some other tapes with Jimmy Mann fights.

On the Nords tape I have footage of the Nords/Habs brawl,featuring Louis Sleiger suckering Jean Hamel.Great action.

Soon I will be posting a copy of my tape/dvd list and will be looking to trade.

·
Registered
333 Posts
shookem said:
Well Colorado needed a team no matter what so someone was going to get moved.

Does anyone think Quebec City will ever get another NHL team?

I heard it was one of the fastest shrinking cities in the country and it's not like the league would gain anything in TV ratings.
I don't think I'll live to see the day when QC gets a second chance at an NHL franchise, and I don't plan on kicking the bucket anytime soon seeing how I'm only 23. Winnipeg needs a team first, and there are always American cities like Hartford and Kansas City that want a 2nd crack at an NHL team, plus cities like Houston and Portland that would like to have a team.

·
Registered
9,152 Posts
Going with exactly what newfie said. On the hand of season success, well the team wasnt good enough in important areas.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Didn't they have a hard time trying to fund the Worlds and they almost had to change the venue.

I don't think there's much chance of QC getting an NHL team.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Quintessence said:
...plus cities like Houston and Portland that would like to have a team.
Speaking of Houston, I wonder what it will take to get a team?
I think Dallas (and the AHL Aero's) have proven that a team could evetually be successful in Texas. The Toyota Center is a new venue, and should hold enough fans.

I'd be at a game in a heartbeat.

Hopefully the Penguin's frolic has brought some attention to Houston as far as hockey goes.

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Why the Move to Denver

For the 1994-95 shortened season of 48 games, the Nordiques played well and finished with the best record in the Eastern Conference.

However, the team faltered in the postseason and was eliminated in the first round by the defending Stanley Cup champion New York Rangers.

The playoff loss proved to be Quebec's swan song in the NHL as the team's financial troubles increasingly took center stage. Team owner Marcel Aubut asked for a bailout from Quebec's provincial government. The bailout fell through and in May 1995, shortly after the Nordiques were eliminated from the playoffs, Aubut sold the team to a group of investors in Denver, Colorado. The franchise was moved to Denver where it was renamed the Colorado Avalanche.

The Nordiques had planned to change their logo, colors, and uniforms for the 1996-97 season.

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
Texas has a lot of hockey fans but maybe not enough hockey fans that would spend NHL dollars to go to games. A friend of mine had a brother that played for the Central Texas Stampede and he loved the support they got. He would be recognized around town even.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Rids said:
Texas has a lot of hockey fans but maybe not enough hockey fans that would spend NHL dollars to go to games. A friend of mine had a brother that played for the Central Texas Stampede and he loved the support they got. He would be recognized around town even.
That's probably what they said about Dallas, but it has become a strong hockey market. Mike Modano was talking about how they had to 'educate' the fans when they first moved there. Houston has somewhat of a head start, with the Aeros.

I was talking to a friend at work who moved to Houston, from Austin, he said the Ice Bats were pretty big there. Fits right in with the 'Keep Austin Weird' stuff. :)

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
nah i like the look of the old logo, it was classic. and the uniforms with the fleurs de lis was pretty cool too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Seeing the Jets and the Whalers back in the NHL i wouldn't mind at all, I think it would be great. But KC? Not so sure about that. The KC Scouts didn't last long in the NHL and i'm not sure there is enough interest in the public eye for an expansion team/relocation of a poor team there.

·
HF-MOTM Winner - Dec 07
1,037 Posts
Quebec got screwed by the dollar, and no government help sealed their fate.

NO but that really applies to any team coming north of the border so...

As for coming back not a chance. You'll never see another Canadian franchaise as long as Bettman is in office.

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
That's probably what they said about Dallas, but it has become a strong hockey market. Mike Modano was talking about how they had to 'educate' the fans when they first moved there.
Dallas used to have a problem with fans leaving after the second period thinking the game was over after two halves.

Stastny26 said:
The KC Scouts didn't last long in the NHL and i'm not sure there is enough interest in the public eye for an expansion team/relocation of a poor team there.
But KC has a beautiful new arena that would be great to put a team into.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts