Hockey Fan Forums banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,661 Posts
Just out of curiousity, how much would you guys be willing to pay Elias?



I'm hoping of course that this doesn't become a reality...:hands:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,212 Posts
TimmyTabasco said:
How about Vasicek, from Carolina? We mentioned him before..as a possible partner for the twins.

This guy has size, and potential. Sure, it would be a risk..but then sometimes you have to take a gamble.

Carolina has done well without him, so I think he could be had..for the right price.

BTW, upon return from a knee injury..he had 2g 2a 4p last night

Just a name to consider
no we do not want to split up carter and the twins... they are carrying this team.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
prucha_for_mvp said:
no we do not want to split up carter and the twins... they are carrying this team.
Agreed

I mentioned that we had named Vasicek before.. but that was as a possible suitor for the twins. However, this was before the signing of Carter
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,442 Posts
proof we need a new captain:

VANCOUVER (CP) - A season that began with so much promise will end in disappointment Saturday night when the Vancouver Canucks play the Colorado Avalanche in their final regular season game.

The Canucks, chosen by some to be Stanley Cup contenders, will miss the playoffs for the first time since 2000. They end the 2005-06 campaign as losers, no matter what the score is against the Avalanche.

''It's been a disappointing season for us,'' said captain Markus Naslund. ''We gave a good effort. I don't know if we just weren't good enough to get the job done.''

It's a Canuck custom that after the final regular season home game the players remove their jerseys and give them to fans. Most likely some of this year's players will never wear a Vancouver uniform again.

Callers to radio sports programs are already demanding coach Marc Crawford be fired. It's believed right-winger Todd Bertuzzi wants a fresh start somewhere else. Defenceman Ed Jovanovski becomes a free agent this summer.




Even Naslund and centre Brendan Morrison, who both had miserable years, could be traded before next season.

Vancouver lost 5-3 to the San Jose Sharks Thursday night. That, combined with the Edmonton's 2-1 win over Anaheim, allowed the Oilers to lock up the final playoff spot in the Western Conference.

With one game left, the Canucks (41-32-8) have 90 points, three less than the eighth-place Oilers.

The Canucks had 101 points and won the Northwest Division in 2003-04. They had a franchise high 104 points the previous season.

With their season at stake the Canucks were pathetic down the stretch.

Vancouver lost six of its final seven games. The team blew leads in three of their final four contests.

In a game they had to win against San Jose, the Canucks led three times and still managed to lose.

What went wrong?

A 10-2-2 start to the season hid some of the team's problems. Vancouver struggled on defence, was sloppy in its own zone and coughed up the puck.

As the season progressed, the players seemed to tune out Crawford. There were whispers of a divided dressing room.

The Canucks won just 14 of 31 games against divisional rivals. They lost four times against St. Louis. The Canucks were shutout six times. Vancouver never shut out an opposing team.

Part of the blame can be laid on Bertuzzi, Naslund and Morrison failing to be the Canucks best players. It didn't matter if Crawford broke the line up or played them together, they struggled.

All three went through long scoring droughts. They all took bad penalties, turned the puck over and seemed indifferent to playing defence.

After scoring a combined 119 goals in 2002-03, the trio have managed just 73 this season. Worse yet, Bertuzzi and Naslund are a combined -37 while Morrison has a career high 82 penalty minutes.

Bertuzzi hasn't been the same player since being reinstated following his March 8, 2004 sucker punch on Steve Moore. There's speculation Bertuzzi and Crawford don't get along.

''I don't know what is going to happen,'' Bertuzzi said about his future.

The Canucks also had injuries to star players.

Goaltender Dan Cloutier was lost for the season in November after tearing knee ligaments. Alex Auld, playing in his first full NHL season, played 56 of the next 60 games.

Jovanovski missed 38 games with an abdominal injury. Defenceman Sami Salo never returned to the lineup after hurting his shoulder in the Olympics and Mattias Ohlund missed four games with a rib injury suffered at Turin.

Grinding winger Matt Cooke missed 28 games with a broken jaw and ankle. He didn't play in the final eight games down the stretch with a concussion.

In a city which loves the Canucks even more than its lattes, missing the playoffs leaves a bitter taste.

The picture on the sports section of the Vancouver Province Friday was a piece of toast with the Canucks logo.

''They teased us. They tantalized us,'' wrote Province columnist Ed Willes. ''But in the end they just could't deliver and right now that will be this team's sad epitaph. They promised too much and delivered so little.''

Vancouver Sun columnist Iain MacIntyre questioned the Canucks heart and desire.

''Whether it be preparation, execution, discipline or physical sacrifice, there weren't enough Canucks willing to do whatever was necessary to be successful,'' MacIntyre wrote.

Dave Nonis, the Canucks general manager, made the decision last summer to stick with Vancouver's core group of players.

The status quo won't be an option this summer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
This from the sun, by Iain MacIntyre

Canucks' co-owner Francesco Aquilini said recently that missing the playoffs would be a "disaster"
Yes, changes will be made. We can expect them sooner, rather than later
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,057 Posts
TimmyTabasco said:
This from the sun, by Iain MacIntyre



Yes, changes will be made. We can expect them sooner, rather than later
Me, I'm not so sure. Over the years, this Pat Quinn/Brian Burke/Dave Nonis managment group has routinely ragged the puck when it comes to change. They are afraid to move forward because they are afraid to lose what they already have.

Here is what I expect.

Marc Crawford will be fired. He will be replaced in-house with either Mike Johnston or the coach of the Moose (I always forget the guy's name and get it mixed up with other people's).

One of the goalies will be traded. I expect it to be Alex Auld.

They will sign Willie Mitchell on defense and try to resign Jovanovski, although they will offer him no more than 5 million per season, and he will likely sign elsewhere for more. Luc Bourdon will be given the chance to take his place, and the money they save on Jovo will go to the Sedins and Carter. Weinrich and Carney will be cut loose, Ohlund, Salo, Allen, Brown, Baumgartner and Bieksa will be brought back.

Trevor Linden will play one more season with the Canucks, because he wants to and managment doesn't have the guts to tell him to bugger off. He will then become an assistant coach.

Naslund, Bertuzzi and Morrison will be kept unless one or all three ask to be traded. Nonis will rationalize this by pointing to the fact that both Dallas and New Jersey have missed the playoffs over the last decade and still remained elite teams. He will ignore the fact that those teams have Stanley Cups to show for their efforts, and that both teams made significant changes to their line-ups when they missed the post-season. When confronted with this, Nonis will point to the fact that he has fired the coach and is willing to give this group one more shot with a fresh approach from behind the bench, ignoring the fact that the message hasn't changed, just the mouth it's coming from has.

The Sedins and Carter will be resigned at 3 million per season each. Kesler, Cooke, Burrows and Green will be back. Ruutu and Park will not. Nonis will fill the holes with his typical bargain bin specials that permeated his off-season moves last summer, along with a few additions from the farm, most notably Jason King.

So, the line-up will look something like this:

Naslund / Morrison / Bertuzzi
Daniel / Henrik / Carter
Cooke / Kesler / King
Burrows / Green / Linden

Salo / Ohlund
Mitchell / Bourdon
Baumgartner / Allen
Brown

Cloutier
Noronen
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,082 Posts
gordfish said:
Me, I'm not so sure. Over the years, this Pat Quinn/Brian Burke/Dave Nonis managment group has routinely ragged the puck when it comes to change. They are afraid to move forward because they are afraid to lose what they already have.

Here is what I expect.

Marc Crawford will be fired. He will be replaced in-house with either Mike Johnston or the coach of the Moose (I always forget the guy's name and get it mixed up with other people's).

One of the goalies will be traded. I expect it to be Alex Auld.

They will sign Willie Mitchell on defense and try to resign Jovanovski, although they will offer him no more than 5 million per season, and he will likely sign elsewhere for more. Luc Bourdon will be given the chance to take his place, and the money they save on Jovo will go to the Sedins and Carter. Weinrich and Carney will be cut loose, Ohlund, Salo, Allen, Brown, Baumgartner and Bieksa will be brought back.

Trevor Linden will play one more season with the Canucks, because he wants to and managment doesn't have the guts to tell him to bugger off. He will then become an assistant coach.

Naslund, Bertuzzi and Morrison will be kept unless one or all three ask to be traded. Nonis will rationalize this by pointing to the fact that both Dallas and New Jersey have missed the playoffs over the last decade and still remained elite teams. He will ignore the fact that those teams have Stanley Cups to show for their efforts, and that both teams made significant changes to their line-ups when they missed the post-season. When confronted with this, Nonis will point to the fact that he has fired the coach and is willing to give this group one more shot with a fresh approach from behind the bench, ignoring the fact that the message hasn't changed, just the mouth it's coming from has.

The Sedins and Carter will be resigned at 3 million per season each. Kesler, Cooke, Burrows and Green will be back. Ruutu and Park will not. Nonis will fill the holes with his typical bargain bin specials that permeated his off-season moves last summer, along with a few additions from the farm, most notably Jason King.

So, the line-up will look something like this:

Naslund / Morrison / Bertuzzi
Daniel / Henrik / Carter
Cooke / Kesler / King
Burrows / Green / Linden

Salo / Ohlund
Mitchell / Bourdon
Baumgartner / Allen
Brown

Cloutier
Noronen
gordo, i hope that you are at least half right. i would really like to see jovo come back. i don't think we should keep bumgartner. he's too small and plays small. he's a complete idiot at times, and we really don't need him.

i had to laugh at some of your comments; as much as i like linden, i just about fell off my chair when you said management won't have the guts to tell him to bugger off. and the bargain bin thing...lol...

and i sure as hell hope that mini park (useless tool) doesn't come back. what a waste of a roster spot.

now, goaltending; keeping cloutier and dumping auld is one heck of a scary thought, which is another sore spot of mine for this lost season. i really wanted to see them play together this season. i really think it would have given auld a chance to be even better, while proving how we didn't need lenny.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,798 Posts
Jackskelington said:
gordo, i hope that you are at least half right. i would really like to see jovo come back. i don't think we should keep bumgartner. he's too small and plays small. he's a complete idiot at times, and we really don't need him.

i had to laugh at some of your comments; as much as i like linden, i just about fell off my chair when you said management won't have the guts to tell him to bugger off. and the bargain bin thing...lol...

and i sure as hell hope that mini park (useless tool) doesn't come back. what a waste of a roster spot.

now, goaltending; keeping cloutier and dumping auld is one heck of a scary thought, which is another sore spot of mine for this lost season. i really wanted to see them play together this season. i really think it would have given auld a chance to be even better, while proving how we didn't need lenny.
I think every Canucks fan is wishing for the return of Jovo.

I really don't understand why the Canucks would keep Bertuzzi. He hasn't produced, and he's been a horrible leader on the ice. When the guy just puts his head down and goes to the box after a blatent hooking call I may think differently.

I agree, keeping Cloutier and dumping Auld is a scary thought for me. The Canucks seem more confident when Cloutier is behind them, but I think that will change next season. Auld has so much upside, he played so well for being an overworked rookie. When Cloutier went down against Anaheim, it was up to Auld to salvage the season. If Auld has the mentoring a young goaltender needs, he's a future NHL number one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,057 Posts
AtLossForWords said:
I think every Canucks fan is wishing for the return of Jovo.

I really don't understand why the Canucks would keep Bertuzzi. He hasn't produced, and he's been a horrible leader on the ice. When the guy just puts his head down and goes to the box after a blatent hooking call I may think differently.

I agree, keeping Cloutier and dumping Auld is a scary thought for me. The Canucks seem more confident when Cloutier is behind them, but I think that will change next season. Auld has so much upside, he played so well for being an overworked rookie. When Cloutier went down against Anaheim, it was up to Auld to salvage the season. If Auld has the mentoring a young goaltender needs, he's a future NHL number one.
I'm not saying that any of that is what I want to happen, just what experience as a fan of this team has taught me what to expect.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
gordfish said:
Marc Crawford will be fired. He will be replaced in-house with either Mike Johnston or the coach of the Moose (I always forget the guy's name and get it mixed up with other people's).
Alain Vigneault

He is a good coach, and has done well with the Moose.

Would he fit with the Canucks? I'm not sure..but a change will be made
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,082 Posts
AtLossForWords said:
I really don't understand why the Canucks would keep Bertuzzi. He hasn't produced, and he's been a horrible leader on the ice.
there's been controversy surrounding him since the day he landed at the airport, but it's not like we didn't know this at the time. management knew it, but traded for him anyways. what were we expecting? a player with a white ring floating above him? he was traded by the isle because they lost patience in him. we took him as a package.

he hasn't been developing the way we had hoped, but i've still got faith in him. as well, he brings an exciting element to the game. he's big, he's tough, he's strong. he can bring fans out of their seats. i know he can do it again. but i don't want to see him do it somewhere else. that's exactly what will happen if he's traded.

he played the entire season with a cloud over him. yet, he still managed 71 points. he didn't play great; matter of fact, he downright stunk more times than i care to remember. but he wasn't alone. seems to me, the rest of the team stunk right along with him.

ppl are calling for the top line to be traded. they didn't get us into the playoffs.

but our so called 'new top line' didn't either. at least when the wce was producing, we made it. well, the 'new top line' PRODUCED...but it wasn't enough to get us into the playoffs.

i don't know if i'm willing to ditch naslund and bertuzzi and officially move the sister line up top. get rid of morrison and find a REAL centerman for bert and nazzy.

only THEN...will we see the real bert and nazzy...

my two pennies...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,798 Posts
Jackskelington said:
there's been controversy surrounding him since the day he landed at the airport, but it's not like we didn't know this at the time. management knew it, but traded for him anyways. what were we expecting? a player with a white ring floating above him? he was traded by the isle because they lost patience in him. we took him as a package.

he hasn't been developing the way we had hoped, but i've still got faith in him. as well, he brings an exciting element to the game. he's big, he's tough, he's strong. he can bring fans out of their seats. i know he can do it again. but i don't want to see him do it somewhere else. that's exactly what will happen if he's traded.

he played the entire season with a cloud over him. yet, he still managed 71 points. he didn't play great; matter of fact, he downright stunk more times than i care to remember. but he wasn't alone. seems to me, the rest of the team stunk right along with him.

ppl are calling for the top line to be traded. they didn't get us into the playoffs.

but our so called 'new top line' didn't either. at least when the wce was producing, we made it. well, the 'new top line' PRODUCED...but it wasn't enough to get us into the playoffs.

i don't know if i'm willing to ditch naslund and bertuzzi and officially move the sister line up top. get rid of morrison and find a REAL centerman for bert and nazzy.

only THEN...will we see the real bert and nazzy...

my two pennies...
Bertuzzi had a couple good years for us. If I remember correctly he had a 90 point season. I can't stand all of these excuses for Bertuzzi. The guy was perfectly healthy. He didn't have a bad hip like Morrison, or a bad knee like Naslund. If anyone deserves an excuse on this team it's Nazzy. He got all of the criticism concerning his leadership in the locker. Fans even slagged on his production. Although he was an injured player who scored 32 goals and 80 points.

I'm willing to ditch Bertuzzi, but I'm not saying trash the top line. Whether the "sister" fans believe it or not. It's Nazzy and Mo' that play against other teams top lines and d pairs. Why were the Sedins so sucessful on the powerplay. One, they did play great. But the first minute or so it was the big line working against the oppositions top unit. I don't think the Sedins have the experience to take on a top line and d pair every night. The Sedin line average about 80 points. That's not really top line production. Look at other top lines like San Jose, Ottawa, Colorado, New York Rangers, and etc.
 
41 - 56 of 56 Posts
Top