Hockey Fan Forums banner

41 - 60 of 154 Posts

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
LMAO YA I don't understand math at all. Stupid me I've only won awards for it.

Price v. Toskala - Easily Price

There were a group of 4 goalies. I said all were as good or better. Smith I would say is as good. LeClair and Price I say are better. I would have no problem swapping Halak for Toskala in net because I think he is just about as good. Neither has shown they have what it takes to be a #1 in the NHL. Skill wise there is little difference but Halak's upside dwarfs what potential Toskala brings to the table.
There is no talk of upside in this discussion. This is about the Leafs making the playoffs this season.

It is unfair to say that anyone other than perhaps Price is as good or better, because due to inconsistency there is a third option. Worse.

None of those teams have an advantage in goal going into this season. Anyone your award winning logic seems to be broken.

·
Premium Member
3,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
There is no talk of upside in this discussion. This is about the Leafs making the playoffs this season.

It is unfair to say that anyone other than perhaps Price is as good or better, because due to inconsistency there is a third option. Worse.

None of those teams have an advantage in goal going into this season. Anyone your award winning logic seems to be broken.
And yet you completely ignore Toskala's years of previous inconsistancy in this thread.

I am looking at the whole picture as I said before. Over the course of an entire season Toskala is no better than any of those goalies.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
And yet you completely ignore Toskala's years of previous inconsistancy in this thread.

I am looking at the whole picture as I said before. Over the course of an entire season Toskala is no better than any of those goalies.
Isn't that what Tyler has been saying the whole time ... He even used math to spell it out for u. I really want that face palm emotion or bang ur head against a wall one right now

·
Premium Member
3,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Isn't that what Tyler has been saying the whole time ... He even used math to spell it out for u. I really want that face palm emotion or bang ur head against a wall one right now
Actually it is what I have been saying all along. Toskala is no better than any of those goalies. I think he is a good as a couple and not as good as a couple. That would make that group of goalies as good or better than Toskala.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
I think the team is too young to do much this season. I hope they fight like hell for it though.
Well Chicago was young look at what they did. I think the leafs have a legitimate shot at the play offs. We are young fast, have some skill and grit

·
Premium Member
3,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Well Chicago was young look at what they did. I think the leafs have a legitimate shot at the play offs. We are young fast, have some skill and grit
Big difference is that none of the Leafs youth are a Toews or Kane although Kessel is close. We have no Havlat to provide a dangerous secondary scoring threat or anything that compares to the young talent and depth the Hawks have on the blueline. Chicago has some potential future Norris candidates, while the LEafs D is looking like a good tough corps, they don't have the same firepower.
Kessel sure helps, but I agree that there are just too many young guys expected to carry the load for the buds this season. They might do it, or as with many rookies and second year players they might start getting ground down around the 50-60 game mark.

The LEafs need everything to go right for them and a few things to go wrong for 5 or 6 other teams to get into the playoffs.

·
Premium Member
2,541 Posts
well considering that the leafs only dressed about 8 garenteed regulars against a buffalo squad who was pretty much their regular season form I think the Leafs did alright especially since the Sabres are a team we are going to have to out preform in the regular season if we have any shot at the playoffs.

That being said of the potentical playoff teams the sabres are low on the totum pole.

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
Will the Leafs make the playoffs this season? I believe so. The offense was top 10 in the league last season, there's no reason to suggest they can't repeat that performance. The defence is much improved in a critical area, and that's defensive awareness. It was severely lacking last season and will most definitely help. Last season I was driven crazy by the opposition forward's ability to stand in front of the net at will. With Komisarek, Beauchemin, Exelby in combination with incumbents such as Luke Schenn, this will no longer be the case.

The wildcard is in net. I think Tosks can rebound while injury free, if not Jonas Gustavsson looks to be the real deal. If not, Joey Macdonald is there too and he posted some decent numbers for the worst team in the league last season. To reiterate, I think Toskala will be fine.

·
Registered
10 Posts
At this point the playoff situation is looking bleak. Another 2-3 losses this team might as well call it quits. It's time Burke pays up for a short term goalender who can stop the bleeding in goal. Once the goals against drops then he work on actually implementing a top6/bottom6 forward situation. At the moment our 3rd line is filled with cast off who cant crack the top six AND can't play defensively if their life depended on it. Essentially we have four forward lines who cant score or help defensively. The results speak for themselves. ;)

·
Registered
19 Posts
i dont think so 0-6-1 is pretty bad, but when they get kessel back I think they will do better. All that offseason trades for nothing.:n

·
Premium Member
3,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
At this point the playoff situation is looking bleak. Another 2-3 losses this team might as well call it quits. It's time Burke pays up for a short term goalender who can stop the bleeding in goal. Once the goals against drops then he work on actually implementing a top6/bottom6 forward situation. At the moment our 3rd line is filled with cast off who cant crack the top six AND can't play defensively if their life depended on it. Essentially we have four forward lines who cant score or help defensively. The results speak for themselves. ;)
Trade for a goalie?

No Thanks. The team has already wasted too much on trading for goaltenders. Sink or swim, Gustavsson and MacDonald will have to do. Send Toskala to the minors and start saving 500k a month in cap space.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Trade for a goalie?

No Thanks. The team has already wasted too much on trading for goaltenders. Sink or swim, Gustavsson and MacDonald will have to do. Send Toskala to the minors and start saving 500k a month in cap space.
It doesn't have to be the "goaltender of the future" type move like the last few attempts but someone who can step in for a year and stop the bleeding. Having a disastrous season has absolutely no benefit for this hockey club and the youngsters on it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Leafs could always sign Gerber, who might have an out from his European deal.

He could probably stop the bleeding. Don't have to give anything up.
Thats actually not a bad idea. Someone (on another forum) even mentioned Legace as a possibility or Giguere who is now essentially the backup and the Ducks may want to move his salary. Quite a bit is coming off the cap next summer so we should be able to accommodate that extra year and give Gus the necessary development time to take over at some point.

As it stands we're (Burke incl) pinning the entire season on Gus's shoulders with 5 periods of NHL experience. Also the Islanders will eventually have a three man scenario once DiPietro comes back and may opt to move Biron. Although I'm not that confident in Biron's ability as a starter.

·
Premium Member
3,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
It doesn't have to be the "goaltender of the future" type move like the last few attempts but someone who can step in for a year and stop the bleeding. Having a disastrous season has absolutely no benefit for this hockey club and the youngsters on it.
No Thanks.

No more trading anything for goalies.

·
Premium Member
3,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Thats actually not a bad idea. Someone (on another forum) even mentioned Legace as a possibility or Giguere who is now essentially the backup and the Ducks may want to move his salary. Quite a bit is coming off the cap next summer so we should be able to accommodate that extra year and give Gus the necessary development time to take over at some point.

As it stands we're (Burke incl) pinning the entire season on Gus's shoulders with 5 periods of NHL experience. Also the Islanders will eventually have a three man scenario once DiPietro comes back and may opt to move Biron. Although I'm not that confident in Biron's ability as a starter.
I am happy with MacDonald if that is all we have. First thing I want is to see Toskala's cap come off the books. After even if the Monster is gone for the season and JM and Reimer are all we have, so what? I still wouldn't give a bag of pucks for yet another goaltender. IF we can get one off waivers, or sign a ufa then good, go for it, but don't trade anything for another goalie unless he comes as part of a bigger deal.

If ANH wants to get rid of Giggy's contract and will give up Giggy and a 1st for Stajan and Exelby/3rd then I am all for it. That is a rediculous offer I know, but the last thing I would do is trade away more assets for just a goalie.

As for the cap, Oh boy!

I am calling Burkie out on this one. He has done a very nice job of hamstringing this team for next year when we were in such a position of power. Money to spend and a very low cap hit. We could have dumped half of this usleless roster, and brought in Kadri, Hanson, Bozak etc.

Instead we tie up millions in Beachemin, Komisarek, Grabovski, and yes even "The Next Saviour" Kessel.

Burke said he isn't afraid and that he has the power to send big ontracts to the minors. So tell me why Blake, Toskala, Finger etc. are all still taking money from our cap?

Toskala, Finger and Blake are 500K each in cap space a month.

So 1.5M in cap room per month being wasted. With that cap space we could start poaching bad ufa and rfa contracts by mid-January. That would still give us time to make atleast a run at the post season.

41 - 60 of 154 Posts