Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If this is a rebuilding process, which it looks like, then I've got some big questions. Where do Jagr, Holik, Bure, Lindros, Kasparaitis, Messier and Dunham fit in. I know Mess and Lindros are not going to be resigned so that answers those but the rest are underacheiving and I can't see them being of any use when it comes to a rebuilding process. Slats did a good job of unloading but I don't think he did enough. Is he done? Might he trade Jagr and Holik and pick up portions of their pay just to get them out? Then there's Pavel Bure, is the guy done for good? I don't think it matters because he fits the same mould as the latter. As for Dunham, I'd say he's gone. He's probably even played himself out of the starting team U.S.A. slot at the World Cup this year. With the Jamie McLennan accquisition, I think the goaltending is decent enough to accomodate the rebuilding process. Anyhow, what do you figure?

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Bure I believe is done for his career. Regardless this would have been his last year under contract to the Rangers.

Lindros I doubt will be resigned by the Rangers.

Mess will probably hang it up.

Holik - If you've been watching the Rangers a lot this year, you'd know that Holik has been playing with passion and getting the job done. Most Ranger fans I talk with expect him to be wearing the C next year. He was a leader on this team, and making a difference for the most part. He'd be perfect to lead the next generation of young guys, and show them by example what it takes to be champions. That's my take anyway... if they were unhappy with him, they could have ate a bunch of his salary and there would have been plenty of takers.

Jagr? he's going no-where, he's still a scoring machine and remember the NYR have Washington picking up almost half his salary. The next team will be built around Holik and Jagr. My take on Jagr is don't bother putting a C on him or expecting him to be a team leader. Just let him loose and he'll produce for any team.

As for defense, they still have a few veterans... but the focus will be on rookie Fedor Tyutin and one of the prospects they just got (can't remember his name) People are talking about the two of them being the core of the future NYR D-men.

As for goalies, I think they'll be hunting for a solid #1 FA this summer if any are available.

Don't forget either that we all have to wait for this new CBA to get done before it's back to hockey.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Matt said:
Bure I believe is done for his career. Regardless this would have been his last year under contract to the Rangers.

Lindros I doubt will be resigned by the Rangers.

Mess will probably hang it up.

Holik - If you've been watching the Rangers a lot this year, you'd know that Holik has been playing with passion and getting the job done. Most Ranger fans I talk with expect him to be wearing the C next year. He was a leader on this team, and making a difference for the most part. He'd be perfect to lead the next generation of young guys, and show them by example what it takes to be champions. That's my take anyway... if they were unhappy with him, they could have ate a bunch of his salary and there would have been plenty of takers.

Jagr? he's going no-where, he's still a scoring machine and remember the NYR have Washington picking up almost half his salary. The next team will be built around Holik and Jagr. My take on Jagr is don't bother putting a C on him or expecting him to be a team leader. Just let him loose and he'll produce for any team.

As for defense, they still have a few veterans... but the focus will be on rookie Fedor Tyutin and one of the prospects they just got (can't remember his name) People are talking about the two of them being the core of the future NYR D-men.

As for goalies, I think they'll be hunting for a solid #1 FA this summer if any are available.

Don't forget either that we all have to wait for this new CBA to get done before it's back to hockey.
Bure according to what they say on MSG during the games is still trying to come back and hasn't mentioned the word retirement. I'm thinking that he is done as well tho, but thats just my opinion.

Lindros prolly won't be back IMO either.

Mess is done.

Holik had BETTER be the next C. I can't see anyone else on the team being even close to being one. Jagr is an A at best. Holik is the heart and soul of this team. Jagr is the top gun. Holik is the General of this army.

Tyutin and Immonen (sp?) are the two Dmen that everyone is talking about. Tyutin is happy like a pig in poop that Immonen is coming here.

The goalie that is most mentioned to be the FA signing is Khabibulin (I always spell his name wrong). I'd love to see him here. Finally have a #1 goalie back here.

As for the CBA I have no idea. We just gotta see whats agreed upon first. Then we can see where the team stands.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Blackburn was only 18 when Richter was forced into retirement... the Rangers threw him out there and basically ran the kid into the ground. He showed a lot of promise but thankfully (or not) the Rangers finally made a move to get Dunham in here. But like ScumWAN said they really need a legit #1. Goaltending has been a sore point since the end of Richter's career. (one of many :? )

Anyway since Blackburn lost this entire season that's a set-back. I don't see any reason to wait on him. If he develops into a top caliber goalie someday then that's great. But until that day comes, I wouldn't mind a proven veteran in there, like the unspellable K man.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
The Rangers should be solid next year if they get goaltending IMO. One of the big problems with NY was you had so many high priced talent and certain guys had to accept lower roles whereas in the past they were top line players.

I also think Holik will get the C next year. I saw this guy a lot from back-to-back Devils/Leafs series and Holik is a warrior and capable of shutting down any top center in the game.

Jagr, the guy is an elite goal scorer, period. Even in an off year this guy is still good for 70+ points.

Tyutin and Kondratiev should be solid dman for you guys for years to come. Kondratiev made the Leafs team outta training camp this year, but got sent down when McCabe came back from injury. So he will definitely be ready next season and should make some kind of impact on the Rangers blueline.

I heard someone mention the Bulin Wall for a netminder. That IMO would be a great addition for the Rangers. The guy is a gamebreaker and capable of carrying a team.

All the Rangers have to do is make some smart free agent signings to add to their core and they should be playoff ready next year. By smart signings I mean no more superstars. Get a supporting cast of role players that'll play their butts off every single night.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts