Hockey Fan Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Bauer Turbo must be the most successful hockey skate design of all time. I think it is a shame that they are not made anymore. They were the perfect skate for beginners for several reasons:

- They were inexpensive

- They were damn near indestructible

- They had good ankle support which never degraded with use

- They were warm when skating outside

- They were comfortable for most people

In the past, whenever a beginner would ask me what kind of skates to buy, for recreational skating, and maybe some pond hockey, I would always say "Bauer Turbos" without hesitation, unless they indicated that money was no object. Nowadays there is nothing that you can buy new for $60 at a retail store that isn't junk.

The weird thing about Bauer Turbos is, they were pretty much always $60. In the 70's and early 80's that was expensive for skates, but by 2000 or so (about the last time I saw them new in a store) they were still $60, which by that time was dirt cheap for skates, yet they hadn't changed in any significant way.

Didn't some pros wear Bauer Turbos at one time? I know that Kevin Lowe wore Micron molded plastic skates which were pretty much the same thing...

·
Registered
223 Posts
Still on about this?

edit- It's because times change and the "good ol' days" do too. It's not just in skates, its in everything, including other gear. Stuff gets outtdated, or cheaper to make. Resources get replaced with stronger, sturdier ones and basically things get modified. You don't see people driving around Ford Model T's altough I bet some citizens out there would argue that it was " the x car around! X cheap to make!" But that just isn't how it works. I say instead of being bitter about these changes you should embrace them and give the new skates a try, which it seems like you haven't even done.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Seriously dude Skate lines get dropped skate lines get added. Happens every year if you would realise the advantages of new skates are so much greater than leather skates. Suck it up and realize they are not being made anymore

·
Registered
223 Posts
This reminds me of that stereotypical old man you hear in movies, "In my day.."

"In my day.."

"In my day.."

In my day, nobody wants to hear about what you miss from your day. Can it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Still on about this?
No, this is a different topic.
edit- It's because times change and the "good ol' days" do too. It's not just in skates, its in everything, including other gear. Stuff gets outtdated, or cheaper to make. Resources get replaced with stronger, sturdier ones and basically things get modified. You don't see people driving around Ford Model T's altough I bet some citizens out there would argue that it was " the x car around! X cheap to make!" But that just isn't how it works. I say instead of being bitter about these changes you should embrace them and give the new skates a try, which it seems like you haven't even done.
They made Bauer Turbos for about 30 years without any changes. They made them as recently as 7 years ago, maybe even more recently than that. What has changed about skating in the last 7 years? The Bauer Turbos filled a rather large niche and they always sold well (judging by how often I saw kids wearing them). That is why it is counterintuitive to stop making them.

·
Registered
223 Posts
maximrecoil said:
No, this is a different topic.
They made Bauer Turbos for about 30 years without any changes. They made them as recently as 7 years ago, maybe even more recently than that. What has changed about skating in the last 7 years? The Bauer Turbos filled a rather large niche and they always sold well (judging by how often I saw kids wearing them). That is why it is counterintuitive to stop making them.
Alot of market changes in the last 7 years. Look at all the new sticks and skates, and ratings and such. I don't believe it was all caught up in 2000. And obviously th companies are doing quite well, so I don't think they're going to care about a guy saying it was a dumb decision. Companies have good reasons to stop sales on products, I don't think they're doing it just to make you mad.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Seriously dude Skate lines get dropped skate lines get added. Happens every year if you would realise the advantages of new skates are so much greater than leather skates. Suck it up and realize they are not being made anymore
You do realize that Bauer Turbos are not leather, right? Did you even read my post before replying?

And the Bauer Turbo defied the - Seriously dude Skate lines get dropped skate lines get added. Happens every year - "rule" for ~30 years, so obviously there was something special about them in regard to their market.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Alot of market changes in the last 7 years. Look at all the new sticks and skates, and ratings and such. I don't believe it was all caught up in 2000. And obviously th companies are doing quite well, so I don't think they're going to care about a guy saying it was a dumb decision. Companies have good reasons to stop sales on products, I don't think they're doing it just to make you mad.
The low-end market hasn't changed. The only thing that has changed is the absence of the near perfect option of Bauer Turbos as beginner skates.

·
Registered
223 Posts
You do realize that Bauer Turbos are not leather, right? Did you even read my post before replying?

And the Bauer Turbo defied the - Seriously dude Skate lines get dropped skate lines get added. Happens every year - "rule" for ~30 years, so obviously there was something special about them in regard to their market.
Maybe if you look you'll find they still have a "bauer turbo look/feel" to one of their boots, it's just a modern version and they decided to stick with that one. Have you even tried any of today's skates? In your last thread to stated specifcally that you just didn't like "the looks of anything by ccm or bauer." Well I got news for you, looks aren't anything and neither are CCM or Bauer. There are plenty other skates like Graf which has a traditional fit and RBK which I think are nice. Instead of complaining go find a pair and them them out. All the pro's ( who whore the good old skates) managed to make this change over, so why can't you?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Maybe if you look you'll find they still have a "bauer turbo look/feel" to one of their boots, it's just a modern version and they decided to stick with that one.
Bauer Turbos are molded plastic. It is a completely different category of skate than stitched skates.
Have you even tried any of today's skates? In your last thread to stated specifcally that you just didn't like "the looks of anything by ccm or bauer." Well I got news for you, looks aren't anything and neither are CCM or Bauer. There are plenty other skates like Graf which has a traditional fit and RBK which I think are nice. Instead of complaining go find a pair and them them out. All the pro's ( who whore the good old skates) managed to make this change over, so why can't you?
I don't need skates. I just don't like the fact that the options are shrinking.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Obviously beginners are doing just fine without them.:rolleyes: Are you a beginnner? If not, then why are you concerned about if they're still around or not?
"Obviously"? How so? A beginner can obviously spend way more than $60 to get a decent skate, but that isn't the point. Many people who are casually interested in skating will just say "screw it" if the initial outlay of cash for something decent is too high.

And no, I am not a beginner, but I am often approached by beginners when I'm skating asking what skates they should buy.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Bauer Turbos are molded plastic. It is a completely different category of skate than stitched skates.
I don't need skates. I just don't like the fact that the options are shrinking.
Look.

A) Stitched or molded, they're both probably going to be comfortable.

B) Bauer probably had a good reason for ending production. If they were as good as you say they were, more poeple would be complaining about it alongside you. But they aren't, so maybe they weren't as special as you remembered, or maybe its JUST YOUR OPINION. Yes I know " tons of kids where wearing them. so they had to be popular." Maybe these kids hated them but their parents said, "hey they're 60 bucks, so this is what you're getting." If they were as perfect as you said they were, everyone would be wearing a pair they found of ebay and bauer would be rolling in money off their sales, but obviously they weren't doing to well so bauer took them out.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Look.

A) Stitched or molded, they're both probably going to be comfortable.
A $60 stitched skate is likely to be neither comfortable nor durable.

B) Bauer probably had a good reason for ending production.
Which is what I was asking about.
If they were as good as you say they were, more poeple would be complaining about it alongside you. But they aren't, so maybe they weren't as special as you remembered, or maybe its JUST YOUR OPINION.
~30 years of production with no changes implies something special in and of itself, and that applies to any product, not just skates.
Yes I know " tons of kids where wearing them. so they had to be popular." Maybe these kids hated them but their parents said, "hey they're 60 bucks, so this is what you're getting."
Everyone I knew that had them liked them. Some of them got to be very good skaters on them and never bothered to get anything better. So while no doubt some people hated them (like with anything), it probably wasn't common.
If they were as perfect as you said they were, everyone would be wearing a pair they found of ebay and bauer would be rolling in money off their sales, but obviously they weren't doing to well so bauer took them out.
Again, there is no "obviously" about it. "Not doing well" is not the only reason that things get discontinued. I won't discount the possibility, but it isn't the only possibility, which is why I asked the question, thinking maybe someone knew for sure.

Here is something I think is interesting:
Our most popular Quad is the Bauer Turbo, these are available with ABEC 1, 3 or 5 bearings wheels by Variflex Kryptonics, Sims or Airwaves.

http://www.gibbonssports.co.uk/html/skates.html
What is the market for quad rollerskates anyway? I would think it would be smaller than the market for hockey skates (given that most rollerskaters use inline skates now), and here Bauer is, still making the Turbo for the quad rollerskate market, like they've done for ages, and it is popular in that little market, yet they discontinue the real Bauer Turbo ice skate.

·
Registered
223 Posts
A $60 stitched skate is likely to be neither comfortable nor durable.

Which is what I was asking about.
~30 years of production with no changes implies something special in and of itself, and that applies to any product, not just skates.
Everyone I knew that had them liked them. Some of them got to be very good skaters on them and never bothered to get anything better. So while no doubt some people hated them (like with anything), it probably wasn't common.
Not true at all. They are plenty of crap products that are around for years that everyone knows are bad products. Look at those candies, peeps. Those are hated by most everybody, yet they've been around since my parents were kids. Plus the standard for hockey skates wasn't what it is now, so those skates lasted for 30 years unchanged (not that hard), but once skates got more advanced, bauer probably realized the turbo's aren't needed anymore. Plain and simple.

maximrecoil said:
What is the market for quad rollerskates anyway? I would think it would be smaller than the market for hockey skates (given that most rollerskaters use inline skates now), and here Bauer is, still making the Turbo for the quad rollerskate market, like they've done for ages, and it is popular in that little market, yet they discontinue the real Bauer Turbo ice skate.

I'm pretty sure the turbo roller skate came before the turbo ice skate.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Not true at all. They are plenty of crap products that are around for years that everyone knows are bad products. Look at those candies, peeps. Those are hated by most everybody, yet they've been around since my parents were kids.
So you think the manufacturer keeps making them for what? fun? Do you think they keep taking a financial loss on them year after year? Obviously they are not "hated by most everybody". Regardless of your claims, any product that is made the same way for 30 years is successfully filling a niche in the marketplace, and doing it well enough that competition from other products is not bumping it out.
Plus the standard for hockey skates wasn't what it is now, so those skates lasted for 30 years unchanged (not that hard), but once skates got more advanced, bauer probably realized the turbo's aren't needed anymore. Plain and simple.
"Not that hard"? Let's hear the list of other hockey skate designs that lasted that long unchanged during the same time frame. Probably the closest thing you'll find (by going way back to a different era/time frame) would be the Tackaberry boot + Pro-Lite blades.

Again, at $60, the Turbos beat anything else in that price range by a good margin, and they still do.
I doubt that. Do you have a reference? Bauer has always been primarily a hockey company, and that was more true in the 70's than it is now.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Not true at all. They are plenty of crap products that are around for years that everyone knows are bad products. Look at those candies, peeps. Those are hated by most everybody, yet they've been around since my parents were kids. Plus the standard for hockey skates wasn't what it is now, so those skates lasted for 30 years unchanged (not that hard), but once skates got more advanced, bauer probably realized the turbo's aren't needed anymore. Plain and simple.

Just leave him alone. Every thread he has created has been just to troll for flames. 9/10 of his posts have pointed to the fact that he has no clue as to what he is talking about.. let it die there. If you ignore him, he will go away.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Hi I'm from the UK and heard these skates went up for sale on Ebay I don't use forums and stuff like this but if anyone knows if they did sell would be amazing these are the rarest turbos on the planet and I've been looking out for a pair of these for about 10 years i know they did 2-4 pairs of these but what makes these worth is the box 📦 hopefully someone might read this and come back to me im jay with the box and original inners id be more than happily pay £7000. But I think its all made up i dont believe they ended up on ebay.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts