Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whether it's the olympics, or simply in the nhl....what are the most memorable hockey moments to you?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Heartbreaking to me, would definetly have to be the 1997 playoff run of the ottawa senators, who for the first time made the post season following the 1992 expansion.

A series vs Buffalo that ended with a bad goal in overtime in game 7.
(Any sens fans will remember Ron Tugnutt's trapper that broke open on a slapshot that he would've routinely stopped).

Thrilling, Would definetly be the Nagano olympics to me, when Canada won the gold.
Also, it's a toss up between Patrick Roy's first cup with the Av's, or Ray Bourque's.

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
Thrilling moments:

- Salt Lake City 2002 I think you mean, and I totally agree. That was awesome, and one of the most thrilling Hockey moments ever for me. That's when Canada started to own in Hockey again (like it should always be), especially with both the men's and women's team winning.

- Steve Thomas' overtime goal against the Sens in Game #5 of the 1st round of the 2000 playoffs. Great goal, and Stumpy was clutch again.

Heartbreaking:

- Nagano 1998. We should have won! But Haaasek, but Haaasek... :mad: :dunno:

- Game #2 of the 2000 Stanley Cup playoffs. The Leafs were down 4-1 to the New Jersey Devils, and scored a goal early in the 3rd to make it 4-2. The Devils scored again to make it 5-2, but the Leafs absolutely willed their way back to tie the game up in the last 30 seconds of the game, and making it 5-5 and heading into OT. What happens then? Aki Berg coughs up the puck in the Devils zone and it heads up the ice for a 2-on-1. Berg makes it back in time, but it's too late to stop the bleeding. The pass goes to the front of the net, and Randy McKay is there to re-direct it in the winner in Overtime. What a killer. I'll never forget that.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Thrilling- Salt Lake City is one of the most thrilling. Tampa winning the cup in 04. And this might sound corny lol but my first NHL game I attended which was just last november but seeing my 2 fav teams playing(Tampa and Ottawa) was just AWESOME!

Heartbreaking- The olympics this year, my hopes were set SO high for this team and was soo excited, I took work off to watch the games during the day, woke up at 7am to watch them(and that is hard for me haha). I know there are more things just can't think of them.

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
THRILLING:
  • Definitely the 2002 Olympics!! Boy was that exciting!!! :thumbsup:
HEARTBREAKING:
  • The 1993 playoffs, Leafs & Kings, the Leafs were up 3-2 in the series, but lost game 6 because "ASSHOLE" Wayne Gretzky, got away with a high stick on Gilmour, and that was the beginning of the end!!! I will never forget it!!! :mad:
  • The 1998 Olympics in Nagano, was the first time the Olympics had women's hockey, and the Canadians lost to the Americans, man that was VERY hard to watch!!! It didn't help either, that the men didn't even get a medal, just like the 2006 Olympics!!!
  • The 2003 playoffs, Ottawa beat Yashin :thumbsup: and the New York Islanders then the Philadelphia Flyers, got to the conference finals against the New Jersey Devils, just to loose in game 7, man that was a heartbreaker!!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BE-LEAF-ABLE said:
Thrilling moments:

- Salt Lake City 2002 I think you mean, and I totally agree.
Yeah, my bad. I meant Salt lake city.
Coming to think of it, you can add Nagano to my hearbreak list.

My best memory I experienced live, was getting the chance to finally see Mario Lemieux play in person(I had been to two pittsburgh penguins games, and missed him twice).
I got to see him practicing for team canada, for that world cup tournament.
Iginla, Lecavalier, Brodeur, Lemieux...and so on, in front row seats.
It was just an intra-squad game, but just to see these guys practice in person...front row...was amazing.

And while this isn't the nhl, one of my all time favorite hockey moments, was the Ottawa 67's winning the memorial cup. Nothing beats the civic center when this team is in the playoffs.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Easy, as a swede, everything revolves around the Olympics. First, the shootout in the final 1994 in Lillehammer. God what a nailbiter that was. I think Forsbergs penalty must counts as the greatest moment in swedish hockey history. And of course, the recent Olympic gold in Torino this year. Our golden generation's last chance to win something big together and they did it. And the fact that it was Finland we beat in the final was just so much better than anyone could've imagined.
As for worst moment, the humiliating loss against Belarus in Salt Lake City 2002. What a dreadful moment that was. I couldn't eat for a month and couldn't stand to watch any more hockey that season (who won the stanley cup that year?). Even now 4 years later, Tommy Salos blunder still haunts me at nights...

As for NHL, I'd say the moment Ray Bourque won the cup in 2001. A perfect example where reality beats fiction.

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
Heartbreaking....1986 when Steve "SHOOOOOOOOOOOT" Smith decides to throw a blind pass up the middle and instead hits Grant Fuhr in the leg and into the Oiler net. Perry Berezan gets a goal while sitting on the bench as the last Flame to touch the puck before Steve got ahold of it. What a game 7...

·
Registered
98 Posts
Thrilling Moment: 1987 Canada Cup here in Hamilton at Copps Coliseum watching Wayne Gretzky in his prime teamed up with a young Mario Lemieux to defeat the Russians in 3-games....all 3-games ending in 6-to-5 scores.....Games 2 and 3 were here in Hamilton....game 1 was at the Montreal Forum.

Heartbreaking: Los Angeles Kings knocking out Toronto Maple Leafs in Semi-Finals in the Year in which we could have had Montreal VS Toronto Stanley Cup Final in the Stanley Cups 100th anniversary year.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts