Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
410 Posts
I saw my son play NHL 2006 and it was very realistic. The goalies were very hard to score on, etc. I played NHL 2004 with my son last year when I had nothing else to do and it was so easy to score on the goalies. My son clobbered me because it was the only time I have ever played it, so I knew nothing about the controls, and also he kept skating so fast around the net and did a back handed shot once he was in the slot with those star players. Also in 2006 I saw how the players had a certain amount of energy. In 2004 I had unlimited energy and so did my son.

Overall, judging my son playing these games I think 2006 is better.

I also went to the site that is best at rating games, www.gamespot.com, and here are the rating for both video games. It clearly has a different opinion than us. It says NHL 2004 is the best, 2005, then 2006. Here are the links:

NHL 2004 for XBOX:
http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/sports/nhl2004/index.html?q=nhl 04

NHL 2005 for XBOX:
http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/sports/nhl2005/index.html?q=nhl 2005

NHL 2006 for XBOX:
http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/sports/nhl06/index.html?q=nhl 2006

I only have XBOX, PS2 and very old consoles for video games. I also only play the very famous games that critics thought were amazing such as Halo, True Crime Streets Of L.A, and Grand Theft Auto: Vice City and San Andreas. All the other games are stupid. Sport games are pretty decent. I know it may sound weird a person like me playing True Crime and Grand Theft Auto but I do think they are fun, greatly developed games.

·
Registered
19 Posts
well i like NHL 06 because of better graphics and new moves. More realistic moves in 06 though 04 was more simple.

So i can't really pick 1. But mostly i play 06 because i am a realistic person.

·
Registered
3 Posts
NHL 2004 is my choice maybe because I played a lot at that time (2004). I played NHL 2006 for a few matches but I didn't feel confortable at all. So I'll continue with 2004.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I'd have to say that NHL 2006 is definitely the better of the two.

I actually prefer the 2K series that's on the Playstation 2 system. Can never get tired of playing those series.

·
Registered
41 Posts
good elements from both years but if i had to pick id go with 06 becuase its more realistic i think

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ive played the NHL 2006 demo on my computer and i relly didint like it , the way they would skate with turbo on and when you change dirrection the player just stays still but turns in a direction, i like NHL 2004 more, just seems to be a smoother game overall, better flow in the play.
Maby i should buy NHL 2006 and see what the full version is like.

410 Posts
What about blades of steel that was released in 1992. That was the best hockey video game ever. I have all those games on Sega; NHL 91, 92, 93, 94, and 95. Blades of Steel is awesome because I got to fight in it like a thousand times. I mainly bought it for my son who was 6 in 1992 for a christmas present and he loved it.

·
Registered
90 Posts
My ALL time favorite is NHL 97 on Sega, but between the two, I can't make an honest opinion, I only have ESPN NHL 2K5.

·
Registered
14 Posts
tough call, usually most people ask about 05, which was probably the worst game in history. in 05 you couldnt even establish a forcheck, you came in and either shot or did a one timer, then they had a rush, then you had a rush, biggest wast of 50 bucks ever.
on the topic though, 04 was a sick game for passing and plays cause it took skill to do the different passes, but o6 is more fun due to the fact you can set up real plays and establish control in the O-zone.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Personally loved NHL 2003 myself, won consecutive Stanley Cups with every team at every difficulty.

I was/am awesome.

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
2006 is better, but it still has its flaws. The goalies go down way to quickly, the AI isn't nearly as aggressive as they should be, and they removed the icons (Sniper, Big Shooter, Big Hitter, etc...). Create-A-Player was also a disappointment. And no "View Stats" screen, or "View Rosters" screen yet again. The flashy background gets tiresome too. I have it for XBOX.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I like 2006 better, but 2004 took a larger step for the franchise and is better.

2004 is one of the best hockey games from EA ever (NHL 95 on Genesis, or 98 are still better) and was arguably the most revolutionary.

Introduced European leagues, Dynasty Mode (for 20 years) and the like.

2004 is a classic, though I prefer 2006. You might say your favourite ____ isn't always the best ____ you've seen.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts