Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Everyone,

After a great season and really a failure in the playoffs from the pens, where will this team go in the off season and what trades and what free agent signings will be made?

A few key details are listed below
Projected cap spending for 2012-2013: .....................59,566,667
Projected cap space: .........................10,433,333(depending on the forthcoming CBA)

Sidney Crosby C 24 8,700,000 UFA In one more season

Evgeni Malkin C 25 8,700,000 UFA In two more seasons

James Neal LW 24 5,000,000.

Jordan Staal C 23 4,000,000 UFA in one more season

Chris Kunitz LW 32 3,725,000 UFA In two more seasons and is getting older

Paul Martin D 30 5,000,000 - Didn't get 5M value off him and doesn't seem to fit it well with the Penguins D line up.

Steve Sullivan LW 37 1,500,000 - Seems to be a significant help to the power play - Is off contract but I would say the pens will try and re sign him.

So a few questions need to be asked and a few issues with the team need to be resolved.

1. Is having 3 great centres not working out? - If so do we trade to get some great wingers?
2. Back up goal tending. Now a crazy long shot idea is if the devils get knocked out by the panthers I would say they won't resign Brodeur for another year. He also has indicated he would like to play for 1 or 2 more years, if pens don't have to pay to much he would make a perfect back up goal tender I just don't think he has it in him to be the main guy anymore.
3. Defence. With matt, Depres and strait coming along nicely I don't see much room for Martin. Martin is a player with a good trade value with some clubs and we might be able to get a good right winger or play maker in the deal or another D-man who will play Pens style defence.

If anyone has any trade or Free agent signing idea please post them.

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
6,394 Posts
1. Is having 3 great centres not working out? - If so do we trade to get some great wingers?
Not necessarily a bad idea, but I'm not sure it's really a needed step. Shifting Staal to the wing could be just as beneficial as trading someone to bring in a player like Pominville or Lupul.

2. Back up goal tending. Now a crazy long shot idea is if the devils get knocked out by the panthers I would say they won't resign Brodeur for another year. He also has indicated he would like to play for 1 or 2 more years, if pens don't have to pay to much he would make a perfect back up goal tender I just don't think he has it in him to be the main guy anymore.
I just don't see Brodeur leaving New Jersey. If he wants to play a few more years and was willing to accept a back-up role with the Penguins, then I think he would be more than willing to sign with New Jersey under the same circumstances. He's got his Cup rings and records already, so there's not much he could accomplish with the Penguins that he hasn't already done. Complete pipe-dream that he leaves New Jersey.

I do agree that the Penguins need a solid back-up goaltender to step in when Fleury is clearly off his game. If Johan Hedberg doesn't retire, he could be a good option. Martin Biron, Curtis Sanford, Chris Mason and Dan Ellis would also be good options as back-ups that wouldn't break the bank.

3. Defence. With matt, Depres and strait coming along nicely I don't see much room for Martin. Martin is a player with a good trade value with some clubs and we might be able to get a good right winger or play maker in the deal or another D-man who will play Pens style defence.
I like Martin, but I'm not sure how much value he would really have in a trade. I certainly don't think he would return a good top six forward without being packaged with something else.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not necessarily a bad idea, but I'm not sure it's really a needed step. Shifting Staal to the wing could be just as beneficial as trading someone to bring in a player like Pominville or Lupul.

I just don't see Brodeur leaving New Jersey. If he wants to play a few more years and was willing to accept a back-up role with the Penguins, then I think he would be more than willing to sign with New Jersey under the same circumstances. He's got his Cup rings and records already, so there's not much he could accomplish with the Penguins that he hasn't already done. Complete pipe-dream that he leaves New Jersey.

I do agree that the Penguins need a solid back-up goaltender to step in when Fleury is clearly off his game. If Johan Hedberg doesn't retire, he could be a good option. Martin Biron, Curtis Sanford, Chris Mason and Dan Ellis would also be good options as back-ups that wouldn't break the bank.

I like Martin, but I'm not sure how much value he would really have in a trade. I certainly don't think he would return a good top six forward without being packaged with something else.
All good points.

I have been thinking about trading stall over the last few days and it just doesn't work for the pens. Stall is a massive part of our PK and is a great defenceive foward so I say bring him on wing with either Malkin or Crosby and go from there. Then on the Pk or trying to defend a lead he can return as a centre. Atleast give it a go if it doesn't work by the deadline next year then maybe a trade will be done.

I don't see Brodeur leaving jersey but if they got bounced in the 1st round I don't think they would have signed him for another year, but I agree plenty of good back ups out there. Just have to get lucky and pick the right one.

I don't mind Martin as a player, I do mind that he has a 5 mill salary cap hit as he just isn't worth that much. I think a trade to another club might help him out as he just can't play penguins hockey

·
Premium Member
6,394 Posts
I don't mind Martin as a player, I do mind that he has a 5 mill salary cap hit as he just isn't worth that much. I think a trade to another club might help him out as he just can't play penguins hockey
I can agree with this. I just think that it'll be hard to find someone willing to give up a good winger for Martin since he struggled all year and was essentially made expendable by a rookie defenseman.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Martin seems to be the general conclusion on who should be shipped out and rightfully so. I don't think they should worry too much about getting a top 6 winger for him however. I would look more to dump his salary than anything else, not that Im saying he is useless but certainly not making his pay. If you were to dump it for a cheap depth guy then you could be looking at around 8 mil to spend on guys like Sullivan, Strait, Niskanen, and Trangradi. Thats likely to eat up decent chunk of the 8 mil you had.

Now here is where Ill be eaten by everyone... Trade Crosby. He had his concussion that almost destroyed he carrier and is now likely to get another one in the future which could kick him out completely. He could bring back HUGE amounts of talent and this would also allow Staal to take over as a 2nd line center, a position I believe he belongs in. You could get drift picks, 2 good wingers, and likely prospects for Crosby. Take the opportunity you have right now and cash in. The only problem you have is that he has a NTC this year which sucks, if he will wave it then I say move him.

·
HF-MOTM Winner - Apr 08
6,349 Posts
I don't think there's room for both Malkin and Crosby in that locker room. Look at the sh*t show that the Pens turned into when Crosby returned. The power play went down hill, Malkin stopped being effective, especially in the series against Philly, and you had all kinds of conflicts where they tried to just rearrange everything that was working when Crosby was out to make room for him to get back in where he wanted.

I think you have too many players there with egos and not enough leadership. Pens dearly missed guys like Guerin and Talbot this year in the playoffs.

I know this is probably painful to hear from a Flyers fan, but Crosby and Malkin are not leaders. They're offensive suerpstars, elite players, but they're not heart and soul guys like Staal. The Pens need to keep him pretty much at all costs. He was the only player that looked like he had any connection to sanity and reality in Game 3 against Philly.

The Pens entire defensive corps needs to be reevaluated. Look at the Flyers 50-some percent effectiveness in that series and it's now 1-11 or something like that against the Devils. Fleury didn't help on that, but he wasn't solely responsible.

Pens obviously have enough offense. It's the defense and goaltending that need to be addressed and I think you do that by shipping one of 87 or 71 like previously suggested. I doubt Crosby gets moved. He's the captain, face of the franchise (and keeps being pushed as the face of the league), has ties to Lemieux, etc, but he has that concussion thing going on.

I wonder if Shero has the stones to make moves like Holmgren did. Would Pittsburgh burn if they moved Crosby and/or Malkin? What about Fleury? He's been a big turd in the playoffs other than the two runs to the finals, which are the only two years he's been over .900 SV% in the playoffs. His GAA has only been below 2.52 once in the playoffs. Take out the two runs to the finals and his record is 13-18. I think Fleury is pretty average goaltender.

For as crappy and average people say Bryz is, his career post season numbers are 2.78 GAA vs Fleury's 2.68, .909 SV% compared to Fleury's .904 SV% and Bryz is 17-16 in the post season so far.

I think that's an eye opener for Pens fans after hearing all the press about how leaky and inconsistent Bryz was for the Flyers and his overall numbers are better than Fleury's.

Should he be dealt to? Do the Pens need a massive overhaul?

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
It's kind of funny sitting here now and hearing Paul Martin's name coming up in trade rumors. There's a reason I didn't shed any tears when he left the Devils. He's not a terrible player by any means, but he's not nearly worth what he's getting paid.

·
HF-MOTM Winner - Apr 08
6,349 Posts
It's kind of funny sitting here now and hearing Paul Martin's name coming up in trade rumors. There's a reason I didn't shed any tears when he left the Devils. He's not a terrible player by any means, but he's not nearly worth what he's getting paid.
With all the d-man failures in Philly, I'm really glad they didn't pick him up a few years ago.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts