Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lowe put the offer in for penner but lets say he also puts the offer for parise in for the same contract and both Burke and Lou say farewell. Then how would compensation picks be handed out by the oilers to the each clubs?

·
Registered
39 Posts
The team making the offer needs to have picks in the next 4 years or so to compensate the prior team of the Free Agent, so only one of the players would be signed, probably the first offer sheet registered.
And the draft picks has to be of the team making offer...

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
i don't know if this is the case, but st. louis signed scott stevens from washington in 1990 and surrendered 5 first round picks. they then signed brendan shanahan from new jersey and, because they had no picks, had to surrender stevens.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
i don't know if this is the case, but st. louis signed scott stevens from washington in 1990 and surrendered 5 first round picks. they then signed brendan shanahan from new jersey and, because they had no picks, had to surrender stevens.
Because of this you now have to have your picks. A while back Edmonton traded for their 3rd round pick which they didn't have, because the picks have to be yours.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Since in this case it would be something like 1st 2nd and 3rd, probably the 2008 picks for one team and the 2009 picks for the other... but I can't tell for sure..

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Lowe's doing a fine job for edmonton. He knows what he's doing.
Except he's getting on every GM's bad side by doing so. Even though it isn't against the rules every GM in the NHL is ticked off at him. Offering Vanek $3 or $4 mil more than he's worth and offering Penner $2.5 mil more than he's worth has made Regier and Burke mad and probably other GMs around the league.

Edmonton wouldn't be able to offer anymore offer sheets since they have no 1st, 2nd or 3rd rounders of their own in the 2008 draft, which is what you need to make an offer. Correct me if Im wrong.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Except he's getting on every GM's bad side by doing so. Even though it isn't against the rules every GM in the NHL is ticked off at him. Offering Vanek $3 or $4 mil more than he's worth and offering Penner $2.5 mil more than he's worth has made Regier and Burke mad and probably other GMs around the league.

Edmonton wouldn't be able to offer anymore offer sheets since they have no 1st, 2nd or 3rd rounders of their own in the 2008 draft, which is what you need to make an offer. Correct me if Im wrong.
Who gives a crap about the rest of the GM's, I want my team to win not for the GM's to be happy.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Did Stevens ever get suspended for one of his hits?
I think not.
All clean.
Try again.

He should have been suspended for plenty of his hits. Big hits are like fighting. Take a look at youtube and that's what people want to watch. That's why they let Steven's get away with it. You notice when the retired Steven's jersey they didn't show any of his notorious hits on the overhead screen. Why not if they're so proud of it?

·
Registered
296 Posts
He should have been suspended for plenty of his hits. Big hits are like fighting. Take a look at youtube and that's what people want to watch. That's why they let Steven's get away with it. You notice when the retired Steven's jersey they didn't show any of his notorious hits on the overhead screen. Why not if they're so proud of it?
All of his hits were with his shoulder. He picked his spots, read play and stepped up like no other. Clean hard hits.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Who gives a crap about the rest of the GM's, I want my team to win not for the GM's to be happy.
exactly. If they're mad, it's their problem. If we get our players, we don't care about your feelings, cause it's not your team that we're trying to build.
Bottom Line: Suck it up or go home.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
exactly. If they're mad, it's their problem. If we get our players, we don't care about your feelings, cause it's not your team that we're trying to build.
Bottom Line: Suck it up or go home.
Bottom Line: If Lowe is making enemies around the league, who's going to trade with him? For example, the Flames and Oilers are battling for a playoff position and Buffalo (I know they're going to be in the playoffs, just using it as an example) is trading away a player like Jochen Hecht who is in the last year of his contract and Calgary and Edmonton both have similar offers on the table and the trade deadline is looming. Who do you think Buffalo is going to make the deal with? Edmonton? Think again.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Bottom Line: If Lowe is making enemies around the league, who's going to trade with him? For example, the Flames and Oilers are battling for a playoff position and Buffalo (I know they're going to be in the playoffs, just using it as an example) is trading away a player like Jochen Hecht who is in the last year of his contract and Calgary and Edmonton both have similar offers on the table and the trade deadline is looming. Who do you think Buffalo is going to make the deal with? Edmonton? Think again.
So be it I'd pass on Hecht anyway we've already had him, and secondly if he's got us into a playoff race he's already doing allot, and if he didn't make the deals before that alienated the GM's who's to say they'd be in that race.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
So be it I'd pass on Hecht anyway we've already had him, and secondly if he's got us into a playoff race he's already doing allot, and if he didn't make the deals before that alienated the GM's who's to say they'd be in that race.
I was using Hecht as an example. All I'm trying to say is Kevin Lowe seems to be making enemies around the league.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wasnt the RFA put in place so teams dont lose there young players early on in there careers and get compensated back?

O well the RFA and the cap have hurt each other combined Burke could not match cause of the cap. Again it was the owners who asked for the CAP and cried and made the fans lose a year of hockey.

Good for Lowe sticking it to the other GM's were it hurts im in fact happy over it. In fact since Lowe played for sather and has a close relationship with him lets blame it all on the rangers while we are at it. ;)

As for Penner he is a big guy with alot of potential. 4 mill is a solid gamble.

·
Registered
91 Posts

Ok and why is Philly paying Briere 3-5 mill more than he is worth not a big huge issue. You HAVE to overpay to get RFA its a fricking fact. This has been a topic that frustrates me to no end.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts