227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hmm,

Interesting set of first round matchups:

Detroit vs. Edmonton
Dallas vs. Colorado
Calgary vs. Anaheim
Nashville vs. San Jose

Predictions, anyone? My guesses are Detroit beating Edmonton, Dallas over Colorado, san Jose over Nashville, and my upset prediction of Anaheim over Calgary.

Eastern Conference matchups will be established after the games are played tonight, but we now know all the 8 teams, just not the matchups.

I think we'll see more upsets in the east, and I wouldn't be surprised to see either the Rangers, Sens or Carolina not make it past round 1. We'll see.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Detroit vs. Edmonton - in 5
Dallas vs. Colorado - in 6
Calgary vs. Anaheim - in 6
Nashville vs. San Jose in 5

My picks are in bold and number of games. I don't think there will be any 7-game series in the west.

·
Premium Member
4,519 Posts
Detroit over Edmonton in 6. Edmonton has a good team, but they lack goaltending, which is something they really need against a team like Detroit who have a high calibre offence.

Dallas and Colorado. This is a toughy, and it really depends on how well Theodore manages to play. If he does well, the Avs in 7, and a Wings vs Avs second round. If Theodore struggles, Stars in 6.

San Jose over Nashville in 5. Nashville just doesn't have the talent needed to defeat San Jose, with or without Vokoun.

Calgary over Anaheim in 5. I really don't think that the Ducks can pull it off. The Flames are just too good at their clutch and grab style of play. Of all my predictions, I hope I'm wrong on this one.

Over all, this will be a great playoff year.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Calgary/Anaheim is an interesting matchup. Both teams use speed to their advantage. The Ducks have played absolutely super over the past 2 months, but so has Calgary. Calgary has the tendency to take bad penalties, and play a clutch/grab type game, and if they do this, the Ducks should prevail. I'm hoping for a Ducks win (I've got tickets to games 3 and 4) but it will be a tough series. It may come down (as it so often does) to goaltending.

·
Premium Member
4,519 Posts
Of course the Flames are going to clutch and grab... thats all they know how to do. That isn't going to allow the Ducks to win, not if the refs don't call the games properly, as they havent been lately. If it comes down to goaltending, the Flames win easy.

·
Registered
22 Posts
rdlviper said:
Detroit vs. Edmonton - in 5
Dallas vs. Colorado - in 6
Calgary vs. Anaheim - in 6
Nashville vs. San Jose in 5

My picks are in bold and number of games. I don't think there will be any 7-game series in the west.
I can see Anaheim taking Calgary to a decider myself.

Also, the Sharks to clean-sweep the Preds.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts