1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Welly at home on the wing
Leafs' new offensive style suits him fine
By TERRY KOSHAN -- Toronto Sun

Paul Maurice doesn't mind trading scoring chances with the opposition.

That's a good approach for the Maple Leafs coach to take, considering Kyle Wellwood doesn't mind creating them.

After some concerns with the initial thoughts of a switch to the wing from centre, Wellwood has found a cozy new home on the right side with centre Mats Sundin and winger Darcy Tucker.

"I feel really confident out there on the wing," Wellwood said. "I have not been making many mistakes with the puck and that's the main idea when you are playing on the top line. You make the safe plays, but sometimes you can make a risky play as long as you are aware to get back in time."
CANOE -- SLAM! Sports - Hockey NHL - Toronto: Welly at home on the wing

I'm glad he's getting a chance on the top line. I remember there were many questions about whether or not he could play on the wing with Mats if he were given the opportunity to, because of his size and whether or not he can take the physical play in the corners, but he's shown that he's well prepared and ready for the task. I always knew that he would be, and it's great to see that it's paying off.

Also great to see that the team is out-doing their opponent almost every night. It's quite refreshing after years of watching them "hanging on for dear life" every game. :eek:

1 - 1 of 1 Posts