Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Canadian Press
9/22/2006 11:03:09 PM

OTTAWA (CP) - Denis Hamel put up a strong argument for his inclusion on the Ottawa Senators' final roster on Friday night.

Hamel, a 29-year-old who's looking to crack the Senators lineup on a full-time basis, needed just more than three minutes to score three goals.

He was a bright spot for the Senators, who watched Buffalo's Thomas Vanek burn them for three goals in return en route to a 4-3 Sabres victory before 16,836 at Scotiabank Place.

The Sens then lost off-season signing Joe Corvo to a fractured foot.

''I came here to training camp to make a good impression for the GM and coach to make a decision,'' said Hamel, who scored at even strength, on the power play and while shorthanded to account for all of the Senators offence. ''I want to make the team so bad.''

TSN : NHL - Canada's Sports Leader

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It's too bad that Ottawa had to play 20 minutes shorthanded, Buffalo only had to pay 8 minutes shorthanded. Thus the edge!!

Powerplays will get you goals every time, when you get enough of them, and I think 10 was plenty for Buffalo!! 3 of the 4 goals came on the PP.

Good thing it's only preseason!!!

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
I was listening to the game last night, but missed some of the 3rd. Ottawa was up 3-2 when I turned of the radio, but when I turned it back on, they were talkin about a 4-3 loss. :eek:

2 hattricks, eh?

Vanek looks like he'll be great this season. He started off slow last year, but if he carries his strong play into the season, he'll put up much better numbers, I'm sure. Buffalo as a whole look better actually.

And Hamel... Well, we know he can score, it's mostly a question about how much room in on the roster. Kaigorodev (sp?) hasn't been playing was well as people thought he woulg, so if hamel does get in, I expect it to be either from his spot, or from McGratton's. (if he doesn't manage to hang in there, I heard he was working on improving other aspects of his game)

To bad about Corvo though. It sounded like he was doing okay in the game. A few bad plays here and there, but it wasn't anything to worry about. He played 24 minutes before he broke his foot from what I heard.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts