Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=376489

I feel ashamed as a Canadian and a Hockey fan. :mad::thumbsdow

This kind of Garbage should have been left behind long ago, but it seems we humans just can't let go, or atleast keep our prejudices to ourselves @ the very least.

·
Premium Member
3,516 Posts
I wish that we lived in a world where this sort of crap didn't happen, but a sad reality of life is that we do still have this problem. I suspect we always will to some extent.

Daryl

·
Premium Member
3,520 Posts
Pretty pathetic how quickly race is brought up. Playing the race card is like comparing someone to Hitler, the person who does it first loses. You are a officially loser Simmonds for making this about race.

What I find hard to believe is that no one caught the idiot that threw the banana peel on a cell phone or something. I would think that videos of the shootout must exist. Someone somewhere has to have this on the corner of their screen. Email the vid to the NHL.

·
Premium Member
3,516 Posts
Pretty pathetic how quickly race is brought up. Playing the race card is like comparing someone to Hitler, the person who does it first loses. You are a officially loser Simmonds for making this about race.
I'm a bit puzzled... The guy who tossed the banana isn't the one who made it about race? Is it "playing the race card" (a saying I've always hated, since it infers a false charge of racism) to even acknowledge racist situations?

Even at that, though, Simmonds didn't say that the act WAS racist, but said that he hoped it wasn't: ""I don't know if it had anything to do with the fact I'm black," the Toronto native said. "I certainly hope not."

Considering that Simmonds has handled the situation with nothing but class, I just don't see how the shame is on him.

Or perhaps I'm misunderstanding you?

Daryl

·
Premium Member
2,728 Posts
Unfortunately we will always live with this; years back in Vancouver I was at a comedy show in the Plaza of Nations, this black comic was onstage working when some heckler and him got into it. The heckler hit the bottom of the barrel when he told the comic to go have some watermelon juice. The comic handled everything perfectly as the boob was shown the door. I still recall that feeling of utter discomfort in the moment. Would the comic snap? Would someone else? In cases like that, you just never know what will happen next. In a case like this, with a pro hockey player, the same applies in the sense that you don't know how he will react. This sort of behavior is all about action/reaction. I'd say Simmonds did the best a person could do under those circumstances. Kevin Weekes is on record talking about how a similar instance took place while he was playing for the Canes, in Montreal during the 02 playoffs.

Z

·
Premium Member
2,225 Posts
I just read something that said the banana thrown during the shootout wasn't the only one thrown. This writer who was at the game said after Simmonds game tying goal a banana was tossed, but didn't make it to the ice and landed right in front of him instead.

It has been well-documented that someone threw a banana at Simmonds during the shootout. What has not been reported as widely is that the shootout was the second time in the game that a banana was thrown. As soon as Simmonds scored the tying goal, a banana came flying over my head, smashed into the glass, and literally landed at my feet. At the time, I figured that someone had simply been angry, and thrown a piece of food that they had smuggled into the arena. I even turned to my friend Danny Gray (a.k.a. Plea From A Cat Named Felix over at PPP) and wondered aloud whether or not this could be an act of racism, but we figured that it was too random to make any kind of assumption. Noteworthy is that the fruit seemed to come from the opposite side of the rink than the second banana. Unfortunately, by the time I turned around, I couldn't see who had thrown it

·
Premium Member
13,305 Posts

What I find hard to believe is that no one caught the idiot that threw the banana peel on a cell phone or something. I would think that videos of the shootout must exist. Someone somewhere has to have this on the corner of their screen. Email the vid to the NHL.
???
How can it be about anything else than race.?

To think it's about anything else is naive at best .

Really take a moment and think about it .

you think it a coincident that the banana was thrown at the only black player in the game. while he was on the ice by himself participating in the shootout ?

·
Premium Member
5,708 Posts

Charlio, to not see this as anything but a race thing is a little hard to believe. I watch alot of Premeir league football, and the things they do in Europe are just as embarrasing(monkey sounds when players touch the ball). I truely hope that they find the person, and if he is a season ticket holder, revoke his privilages.

·
HF-MOTM Winner - Apr 08
6,349 Posts

I think you're way out to lunch on this one...the whole banana thing is about race...

Have you see Remember the Titans? The scene where the opposing coach calls Denzel Washington a monkey, who then hands that coach a banana after the Titans won the game...same thing.

It was a racist gesture to begin with. The last time I checked, food vendors at sports arenas don't sell fresh fruits and vegetables and the person who threw it probably brought it to the game for that purpose.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I think you're way out to lunch on this one...the whole banana thing is about race...

Have you see Remember the Titans? The scene where the opposing coach calls Denzel Washington a monkey, who then hands that coach a banana after the Titans won the game...same thing.

It was a racist gesture to begin with. The last time I checked, food vendors at sports arenas don't sell fresh fruits and vegetables and the person who threw it probably brought it to the game for that purpose.
Yep. There should be absolutely no question that this was done by a racist bigot.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Charlie, are you serious that you don't think it was a racist move? WTF? Where have you been living for all these years?

·
Premium Member
3,520 Posts
I'm a bit puzzled... The guy who tossed the banana isn't the one who made it about race? Is it "playing the race card" (a saying I've always hated, since it infers a false charge of racism) to even acknowledge racist situations?

Even at that, though, Simmonds didn't say that the act WAS racist, but said that he hoped it wasn't: ""I don't know if it had anything to do with the fact I'm black," the Toronto native said. "I certainly hope not."

Considering that Simmonds has handled the situation with nothing but class, I just don't see how the shame is on him.

Or perhaps I'm misunderstanding you?

Daryl
The idiot in question threw the piece of garbage he had at hand. It just so happened to be a banana peel. If it was an apple core or empty water bottle this is a non issue.

If it wasn't Simmonds then shame on whoever the a-hole was that brought race into the issue.

Did the idiot throwing waffles in Toronto have an irrational hate for Belgians?

I doubt the idiot in question had any intent of a racial slur/attack against Simmonds when he put a banana in his pocket on his way to the game.

·
Premium Member
3,520 Posts
LMAO off at all of you buying into the sensationalistic twist being put on this by the media.

Maybe it is because I place so little value on race that I can look at this objectively.

If the idiot really wanted to send a racist message then a barbie doll dressed in Klan clothing would have been much more effective.

Although I highly doubt someone so obsessed with race could plan so far ahead.

·
Premium Member
2,225 Posts
Something as random as a banana is brought to a hockey game and just happens to be thrown at the only black guy on the ice. I just don't see how that is a coincidence. I'm not thinking he brought that for its high level of potassium or because he is a huge Mario Kart fan.

·
Premium Member
3,516 Posts
Did the idiot throwing waffles in Toronto have an irrational hate for Belgians?
Did he throw them at a Belgian player?
Are references to Belgian waffles historically used in an attempt to demean or belittle Belgians?

I doubt the idiot in question had any intent of a racial slur/attack against Simmonds when he put a banana in his pocket on his way to the game.
It's nice to know that when it happened to guys like Jackie Robinson, Hank Aaron, Curt Flood, Patrick Ewing, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, that it wasn't racism; it was just people who happened to throw the bananas they had on-hand (who hasn't put a banana in his pocket on the way to the game?) at black players.

I was worried it might be racism.

Anyway, we'll have to agree to disagree, with no ill feelings. I think that on this topic, our opinions are just too far apart to come to some sort of agreement. I've said my piece.

Daryl

·
Premium Member
2,225 Posts
Also to make it even a bigger coincidence a writer said after the Simmonds tying goal a banana was thrown, but didn't make it to the ice and landed in front of his seat. So now you have the same very random thing at a hockey game being thrown at the only black guy on the ice two different times.

·
Premium Member
3,520 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,516 Posts
I'll copy/paste my first post to this thread as it pertains to Simmonds saying it:

I wish that we lived in a world where this sort of crap didn't happen, but a sad reality of life is that we do still have this problem. I suspect we always will to some extent.
There's no place for those sorts of comments either.

Daryl

·
Premium Member
2,728 Posts
I tried to post the link to the Avery Simmonds thing last night. Something came up and I didn't complete the task.

If Simmonds said something like this it is in fact pretty ironic.

All of this reminds me of something Chris Rock said some time ago on one of his big HBO's; "no sense hating anyone cause they'll end up living in your house"

For whatever reason all of this has me shaking my head....

z

1 - 20 of 31 Posts