Hockey Fan Forums banner

81 - 96 of 96 Posts

·
HF-MOTM Winner - Apr 08
6,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Zherdev gets his 5th of preseason with a 5-on-3 power play goal tied for the league lead.

I'd love to see him continue to score at this rate throughout the season.

Nice thing about that goal was it was a down low goal outside the crease showing he's willing to get in there for dirty goals and not just sniping goals.

·
Premium Member
2,225 Posts
So it seems that Bobrovsky will certainly be with the big club for the start of the season, now the question is when will he get his first start. I'm pretty comfortable with a Boucher/Bobrovsky duo for at least a little. Hopefully Leighton can recover well and is back for the second month. It will be interesting to see what happens with Guerin. He hasn't impressed many in camp and at first was thought to be a definite. Thursday can't come soon enough!

Also just read that the Flyers are inquiring about Brendan Morrison... certainly doesn't seem like a good thing for Guerin or Nodl, but we will have to wait and see if anything becomes more serious with Morrison.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Just saw the 9-3 score and was worried a little bit for the Flyers until I saw the roster...The funny thing is they were up 2-0 at one point :laugh:. Couldn't help but notice Guerin was a team-worst -4. Billy Boy can't move like he used to.

Brendan Morrison? Is there any other teams that get chances at free agents? This year seemed like only a select few teams grabbed anybody.

·
Premium Member
3,094 Posts
Great move. I was all for signing him, that was before I saw him in the preseason. He looked awful. Slow as molasses. The young kids did a lot better than him. For once, Homer did something right in not signing Guerin. He just doesn't fit here.

·
Premium Member
2,225 Posts
Great move. I was all for signing him, that was before I saw him in the preseason. He looked awful. Slow as molasses. The young kids did a lot better than him. For once, Homer did something right in not signing Guerin. He just doesn't fit here.
I was shocked as well, one with how bad Guerin looked and two, with how many youngsters impressed me. Nodl, Holmstrom, and Gustafsson looked very good imo. It will be interesting to see how much time Nodl gets and to see how the others develop.

·
Premium Member
2,225 Posts
So with the roster all figured out what does everyone think the lines will be for Thursday? I must say I'm having a hard time myself coming up with ones. I'm not even sure if Hartnell-Briere-Leino will be together since they didn't get much time together in preseason, but I'll base mine off them still being paired with each other.

JVR-Richards-Carter
Hartnell-Briere-Leino
Carcillo-Giroux-Zherdev
Shelley/Nodl-Betts-Powe

·
HF-MOTM Winner - Apr 08
6,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
The Flyers offense should be pretty sick this year. Giroux and Zherdev on the third line!? That line could produce 50+ goals if they get the ice time, as a third line.

I'm really excited to see this team on the ice as a whole. It will be nice when Leighton is back, Leino is in full stride, and Pronger is 100% to really see how things go for this team.

I really don't expect them to be struggling from rear of the pack this year. They had a pretty solid preseason at 5-2-1. Lots of shootouts, but I'm hoping with a full compliment of NHL forwards, they won't get to too many shootouts. 5-2-1 over the 82 game season is approximately 51-21-10 for 112 points. That should win a division, maybe the Eastern Conference.

It's time for the real games to start, enough speculation.

Phils playoffs on Wednseday, Flyers on Thursday.

·
Premium Member
2,225 Posts
The Flyers offense should be pretty sick this year. Giroux and Zherdev on the third line!? That line could produce 50+ goals if they get the ice time, as a third line.

I'm really excited to see this team on the ice as a whole. It will be nice when Leighton is back, Leino is in full stride, and Pronger is 100% to really see how things go for this team.

I really don't expect them to be struggling from rear of the pack this year. They had a pretty solid preseason at 5-2-1. Lots of shootouts, but I'm hoping with a full compliment of NHL forwards, they won't get to too many shootouts. 5-2-1 over the 82 game season is approximately 51-21-10 for 112 points. That should win a division, maybe the Eastern Conference.

It's time for the real games to start, enough speculation.

Phils playoffs on Wednseday, Flyers on Thursday.
Hah I know I was thinking the same thing, but there is so much depth. This team really has a ton of potential.

·
Premium Member
2,225 Posts
I was close, but mixed up Carcillo and JVR...

"Philadelphia Sports Daily: Line combos from Flyers practice: Carcillo-Richards-Carter, Hartnell-Briere-Leino, van Riemsdyk-Giroux-Zherdev, Shelley-Betts-Powe"

It still doesn't mean that we will definitely see these comboinations Thursday, but I think they will stay the same until then. Is there a scary third line in the league?

Edit: Defensive pairings are looking like Pronger-Carle, Timonen-Coburn, Meszaros-O'Donnell. With Coburn having an impressive camp I guess that got him the nod over Meszaros. These are solid, but that third line is looking pretty slow compared to if you switched Coburn and Meszaros.

·
Premium Member
2,225 Posts
Roster has been finalized:
http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=539805

I'm pumped for Thursday. Got tickets to the home opener against the Avs and I'm getting to three games in the first month of the season.
That's awesome. Less then 24 hours!

There has been some more news on Lappy and how he could very well be done for his career. PCS is a pain, it's definitely not something you want to mess with, which he already has.

·
HF-MOTM Winner - Apr 08
6,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
That's awesome. Less then 24 hours!

There has been some more news on Lappy and how he could very well be done for his career. PCS is a pain, it's definitely not something you want to mess with, which he already has.
Sounds like he's been TOLD to retire. His salary will count against the cap for the remaining two years. I'm wondering if he can go on the long term injury list so it doesn't count and his time plays out, kind of like Rathje did.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nhl/story/2010-10-06/injuries-expected-to-force-ian-laperriere-to-retire

81 - 96 of 96 Posts