Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When NHL general managers woke up Friday morning, they had 33 days until the NHL trade deadline. While the clock is ticking, GMs must now wrestle with what their needs are, what their resources are via the salary cap and what will be the long-term implications of those potential moves.

With teams so tightly bunched (10 points separate sixth through 14th in the East and eighth through 12th in the West) and with the deadline earlier than ever before (last year it was March 9), the quantity of players on the move and the quality will be quashed.

It means GMs will have to work much harder, and perhaps ante up a little more, to find that last piece to the puzzle.

Here's a look at players whose movements could dramatically alter the playoff landscape, and maybe help lead a team to the Cup in June

List of Possible Players going to get traded

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
I think that it's most likely going to be players lik Craig Conroy, Josef Stumpel, and Brad Stuart that will be on the move.

Wish I could add Nik Antropov to that list, but I don't think that's likely.

Hopefully not Stajan, Steen, or Tucker though.

·
We Are All Canucks
2,485 Posts
BE-LEAF-ABLE said:
I think that it's most likely going to be players lik Craig Conroy, Josef Stumpel, and Brad Stuart that will be on the move.

Wish I could add Nik Antropov to that list, but I don't think that's likely.

Hopefully not Stajan, Steen, or Tucker though.
The leafs could probaly get some pretty good player for tucker but i dont think they will give up their young guys

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
Canuck said:
The leafs could probaly get some pretty good player for tucker but i dont think they will give up their young guys
I don't know. Their GM is kind of... odd?

Also forgot to add Bill Guerin to tht list. I don't think he'll remain in St. Louis at playoff time (since they're likely to miss). Maybe he'll pull a Doug Weight and go and thn return after his season is done with another team.

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
BE-LEAF-ABLE said:
(since they're likely to miss)
What am I thinking?! :eek: tTey're only 3 wins out of the last spot in the West, and have gone 8-1-1 in their last 10 games.

It ain't over for them yet.

Anyway, I wonder if Pitkanen is on the move. Tempers are flaring in Philly, and I him and Fedoruk got into it a bit (with Pitkanen getting the worst of things).

YouTube - Todd Fedoruk punches Joni Pitkanen

:eek:

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Who will end up with Forsberg?

I wouldn't be surprised to see Forsberg on the coast in Vancouver, but I would like him in Calgary as a rental for the playoffs. The only thing is that I heard Philly wants young players, and the only possibility I could see, is for Chuck Kobasew. It's hard to say if Sutter would part with Kobasew or not. I would also like to see the Flames swing a deal to pick up Martin Gelinas.:thumbsup:

I think the Leafs should pick up Bill Guerin (if St. Louis are going to be sellers). But again, no one wants to give up youth for these older players.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I think the most likely to move is Brad Stuart. I hope Forsberg can escape Philly and not get in a deal with a restriction for him to sign with them like Weight and Recci last year.

Ottawa has enough ppl and I hope Muckler doesn't pull another stinker at the dead-line. The only kind of player I would think Ottawa needs is a vetran guy who has been to the dance before. Roberts is a posibility and so is Forsberg.

Hope things turn out good for Forsberg. Hate to see his career end like this.:(

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
Posted on Sat, Jan. 27,
Forsberg attempts to clear up all those rumors

By ED MORAN
[email protected]

Peter Forsberg wants an end to the rumors.

He doesn't want to keep reading that he said he wants to be traded, as was reported today, or that he talked to the Colorado Avalanche behind the Flyers' backs, as a Denver television station reported on Monday.

It's a distraction for the team and for him, the star center said yesterday after his first practice with the team since the All-Star break - and since traveling to Sweden to get yet another opinion about the problem with his right skate.

"When things are coming out like that, like with the Denver thing, it's just hurting everyone when they come out and say something like that, and I think it's good for us to sit down and straighten it out and see what we can do," Forsberg said.

"It's hurting everyone. It's hurting the team and it's hurting me personally. People think I'm going over the rules and definitely I'm not doing anything like that."

But he still can't answer the big question - the one about how he cannot find a way to stabilize his right foot so that he can skate and play at the level he wants.
A shame about the injury. Does anyone really think he's on the move? I'm not really sure who would take him, even though he's that good. How much will he play, and would it be worth the price for a player that might not even play?

Whatever that price is of course...

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
Conroy's gone now, so there's 1 off the list.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts