Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Canada was stunned Monday when it was announced that The Stanley Cup will be awarded to the Toronto Maple Leafs, possibly as early as December 10th.

The cup will be stripped from from 2008 playoff champions the Detroit Red Wings and be awarded to the Leafs, who didn't even make the playoffs. How is this possible, Canadians ask? Well, the Leafs have formed a coalition with Eastern Conference semifinalists the Montreal Canadiens, and conference quarter finalists the Ottawa Senators, now outnumbering the Red Wings. According to current Leaf coach Ron Wilson "the Red Wings have lost the confidence of the league and should hand the cup over immediately to our coalition".

NHL commissioner Gary Bettman is cutting short a European trip to try to resolve the unprecedented hockey crisis that could force a second playoff series, or see an opposing team coalition take the cup.

·
Premium Member
4,519 Posts
I read this on a facebook group against the NDP/Liberal Coalition, thought it was great. Seems to me a large part of Canada does not support this coalition, considering Conservative support is up 7% and NDP/Liberal support is down collectively by 8%.

·
Premium Member
3,520 Posts
Typical bully behaviour from Harper though. When the wimps in the playground stood up to him he called for the teacher and ran away.

·
Premium Member
4,519 Posts
Typical bully behaviour from Harper though. When the wimps in the playground stood up to him he called for the teacher and ran away.
What are they standing up for? Harper needs to know what the American agenda is before he can set an economic stimulus in place, so he presented what he could, and the babies started crying. Harper even backed off of the controversial points of his budget to try and placate the opposition, but it wasn't good enough. And if the coalition can't last the month and a half break... well that shows you how stable they were to begin with, doesn't it?

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Not even close to whats happened...

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
You obviously don't pay attention to Canadian politics. Harper was trying to be fiscally responsible by tightening up the governments budget and the liberals and NDP couldn't handle the fact that they've miss-managed there budgets for years and this would put them deeper in the red. The fact that they join forces with a party who gives two ****s about Canada and soul goal is separation from Canada if possible is sad. The fact of the Matter is using the Bloc as there swing vote means that if the bloc doesn't like what it See's it muscles the NDP and liberals into making it there way via the fact that they fail without the Bloc.

·
Super Moderator
8,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
...What the hell?
Just a joke about what's happening in politics right now in Canada. The conservative party won the recent elections. The liberals, new democrats and the bloc québécois had agreed to reverse the minority government by forming a coalition until the governor general had to cut a trip to Europe short in order to deal with the issue. :)

·
Premium Member
13,305 Posts
Ya mean the wimps that are the Liberals and NDP.!!!

They lost the people spoke we didn't want them in power, and now they decide to join forces??. There a joke nothing more nothing less.!!

·
Premium Member
3,520 Posts
OK apparently NONE of you have ever watched the Question Period in the House of Commons. If you had, you would have witnessed the bullying and childish behaviour that goes on.

Harper turned the entire house into a farce. It is who and what he is. I am surprised he didn't try to sue all three opposition parties for finally growing a set of balls. He has sued everyone else who has threatened his power since becoming PM.

Under a different leader I would probably vote CPC, but Harper, no way.

Harper did this to himself. How dumb is it in a Minority govt. to try and cripple every other political party?

Once it was even mentioned, the other parties knew they were going to be destroyed. Pulling it off the table as quick as he did was still to late. The OP's knew that crippling their finances was a goal of the administration. They had no choice but to form the sorriest coalition in political history, in order to try and stop him. Then in typical bully fashion Haprer ran to the GG to save his ass, after the wimps had called his bluff.

In a majority parliament cutting public funding would have been a stroke of genius likely keeping his party in power for atleast the next 2 terms. The Liberals would have been lucky to put a candidate in 1/2 the rindings in Canada they are so broke. Letting Quebecer's support their own separatist party could have killed the movement for decades. The NDP would become the second most powerful party, which would have ensured CPC dominance for years. To try and do this when in a minority govt. is political suicide.

As for a coalition involving the Bloc,which seems to be a big sticking point for people, Harper tried to get in bed with them in 2004 to overthrow the Martin minority.

·
Super Moderator
8,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The irony of it all is that the leader that makes the most sense out there is... Gilles Duceppe! :dunno:

If this guy was leader of the Liberal party instead of the Bloc, he'd be Prime Minister with a majority government!

·
Premium Member
4,519 Posts
The irony of it all is that the leader that makes the most sense out there is... Gilles Duceppe! :dunno:

If this guy was leader of the Liberal party instead of the Bloc, he'd be Prime Minister with a majority government!
Exactly what is it that Duceppe has said that makes so much sense? That he's going to support the flavour of the week?

·
Super Moderator
8,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Exactly what is it that Duceppe has said that makes so much sense? That he's going to support the flavour of the week?
According to many, even outside Quebec, he won the pre-election debate by a mile.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
OK apparently NONE of you have ever watched the Question Period in the House of Commons. If you had, you would have witnessed the bullying and childish behaviour that goes on.

Harper turned the entire house into a farce. It is who and what he is. I am surprised he didn't try to sue all three opposition parties for finally growing a set of balls. He has sued everyone else who has threatened his power since becoming PM.

Under a different leader I would probably vote CPC, but Harper, no way.

Harper did this to himself. How dumb is it in a Minority govt. to try and cripple every other political party?

Once it was even mentioned, the other parties knew they were going to be destroyed. Pulling it off the table as quick as he did was still to late. The OP's knew that crippling their finances was a goal of the administration. They had no choice but to form the sorriest coalition in political history, in order to try and stop him. Then in typical bully fashion Haprer ran to the GG to save his ass, after the wimps had called his bluff.

In a majority parliament cutting public funding would have been a stroke of genius likely keeping his party in power for atleast the next 2 terms. The Liberals would have been lucky to put a candidate in 1/2 the rindings in Canada they are so broke. Letting Quebecer's support their own separatist party could have killed the movement for decades. The NDP would become the second most powerful party, which would have ensured CPC dominance for years. To try and do this when in a minority govt. is political suicide.

As for a coalition involving the Bloc,which seems to be a big sticking point for people, Harper tried to get in bed with them in 2004 to overthrow the Martin minority.
It certainly does require a pair to lie to an entire country so they might vote for you, then go against your word and do exactly what you said you wouldn't. Sure the librals could have faced some problems this term but thats nothing to what they will in the next election, weather or not Dions still the leader.

·
Premium Member
4,519 Posts
According to many, even outside Quebec, he won the pre-election debate by a mile.
Unfortunately I missed the debate, mostly because it was pretty unimportant to me, and also because I don't have TV. Right now I'm doing my best to keep up with what is going on through what is released on the internet... and from what I've seen no one is looking so great right now. Which isn't exactly what this country needs right now.

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
Canada was stunned Monday when it was announced that The Stanley Cup will be awarded to the Toronto Maple Leafs, possibly as early as December 10th.

The cup will be stripped from from 2008 playoff champions the Detroit Red Wings and be awarded to the Leafs, who didn't even make the playoffs. How is this possible, Canadians ask? Well, the Leafs have formed a coalition with Eastern Conference semifinalists the Montreal Canadiens, and conference quarter finalists the Ottawa Senators, now outnumbering the Red Wings. According to current Leaf coach Ron Wilson "the Red Wings have lost the confidence of the league and should hand the cup over immediately to our coalition".

NHL commissioner Gary Bettman is cutting short a European trip to try to resolve the unprecedented hockey crisis that could force a second playoff series, or see an opposing team coalition take the cup.
YES! Finally! Justice!!! Thanks for helping the Toronto Maple Leafs, Ottawa and Montreal. I know it would be absolutely criminal to line up with anyone with the kinds of differences that we have with each other, but they are now all swept under the rug . . . until next season! :D

*a few minutes later*

Hmm . . . This victory feels kind of . . . hollow . . . . :frown:

·
Registered
987 Posts
When I first starting reading the original post, I thought you were talking about the canadien fans cheating in the all-start voting. :laugh:

·
Premium Member
4,318 Posts
Sorry guys, I felt that this thread was better suited for this forum.

Funny how all the polls show that Harper is killing the other idiots..........Maybe he should call another election and crush the (gag puke) Liberals into the same catagory as the Green party.....

·
Registered
456 Posts
A long-shot winner if it happens

Well, if Toronto wins the Cup, it would be the first time
since the greatest upset of all time---Chicago beating
Toronto in the 1938 finals---that a long-shot team has won
the Cup.

Wouldn't that really be something, though?
Remember the 1975 Islanders, who beat Pittsburgh in four
straight after losing the first three, then almost did it
again against, of all teams, the Broad Street Bullies---the
Philadelphia Flyers. Oh, what a series that was, and so
sad to see the Cinderella story vanish in the seventh game.

That's hockey, as they say.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts