1.wayne gretzky-Los angeles kings for ?
2.visnovsky traded to Anaheim for whitney
3.staios-calgary flames:n:n:n

·
Premium Member
3,520 Posts
who were they traded for
Visnovsky

Actually iirc for Gretz one of the pieces was Jimmy Carson the 2nd youngest player to score 50 goals after Gretz himself. FYI Stamkos will be #3 if he does it this season.

There was a lot of money involved. I remember his dad not liking the idea of Wayne being "SOLD".

EDM just has problems holding on to players. Now that the Cap is here and things are looking good financially, the Arnott's and Smyth's are long gone.

Bad contracts are the OIL's biggest problem right now. I know that cup run was fun but it was the worst thing to happen to the franchise. The entire roster got overpaid. Nowthey are screwed. They have some good young talent but no money to give them.

Hopefully the #1 pick will turn this franchise around.

OFcourse even then you need to find a GM stoned enough to take Horcoff off your hands.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
The main reason Grets was moved is cause he didn't want to extend with Edmonton and wanted to go to the open market. Visnovsky was for getting younger and saving money good deal imo.

Staios was for saving money and also for trying to change the atmosphere in the club room which many think is a big reason lots of the young oilers aren't playing as well as they could be.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Whitney was a good trade. He's a solid D-man maybe not the offense of Visnovsky, but he's alot younger and cheaper.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Whitney is Solid

Whitney was a good trade. He's a solid D-man maybe not the offense of Visnovsky, but he's alot younger and cheaper.
I agree with this. Whitney is a solid D-man. He was a great fit with Gilbert to. I believe that was a solid trade. Whitney is younger and got a big run with Gilbert at the end of the season. It would be stupid of the oilers to get rid of Whitney.

I do believe they must and I mean must get rid of Shawn Horcoff.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
I agree with this. Whitney is a solid D-man. He was a great fit with Gilbert to. I believe that was a solid trade. Whitney is younger and got a big run with Gilbert at the end of the season. It would be stupid of the oilers to get rid of Whitney.

I do believe they must and I mean must get rid of Shawn Horcoff.
They can't get rid of Horc though, not unless they can find another center that can maintain a decent face off %.

·
Premium Member
6,394 Posts
They can't get rid of Horc though, not unless they can find another center that can maintain a decent face off %.
Then sign Scott Nichol, Eric Belanger, or John Madden. All of them will be cheaper than Horcoff by a wide margin and are solid face off men.

Good luck finding a taker for Horcoff if you decide to trade him though.

·
Registered
108 Posts
my top 3:

1. Trading Gretzky. I still can't believe it happend.

2. Trading Smyth. My saddest day as a Oiler fan. Oh, I wasn't born until after Gretzky was traded btw.

3. Trading for O'Sullivan. Its hard to watch him play, and Cole was doing pretty good.

I think both Visnovsky trades were good. Lubo for Stoll and Greene (at the time) was a steal! And Whitney has greatley improved this team. Look at Gilberts numbers with and without Whitney!

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
my top 3:

1. Trading Gretzky. I still can't believe it happend.

2. Trading Smyth. My saddest day as a Oiler fan. Oh, I wasn't born until after Gretzky was traded btw.

3. Trading for O'Sullivan. Its hard to watch him play, and Cole was doing pretty good.

I think both Visnovsky trades were good. Lubo for Stoll and Greene (at the time) was a steal! And Whitney has greatley improved this team. Look at Gilberts numbers with and without Whitney!
Cole played on the Oils first line while O'Sullivan plays on the third line.

·
Premium Member
3,516 Posts
I won't include the Gretzky and Messier deals. They're both too obvious, and were more like fire sales because Puck had major money issues. These were not hockey trades, and the return reflected it.

Some trades that come to mind:

a) Trading DOWN with the Devils in the 2003 draft so the Oilers could select Marc Pouliot instead of Zach Parise. I'm not usually an overly emotional TV viewer, but man I could have fired my foot through the set on that one.

b) Miroslav Satan traded to the Sabres for Barrie Moore and Craig Moore. More of the usual crap for the team: "He didn't fit in." Indeed. HE was good. Can't keep that around.

Daryl

1 - 16 of 16 Posts