Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Keith Tkachuk has announced he will retire after 19 seasons in the NHL.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=524404&navid=DL|NHL|home

NHL.com said:
There might be tears during a special ceremony at home in St. Louis on Friday, but Keith Tkachuk didn't shed any on Wednesday night at the United Center after it was announced that he would retire at season's end.

Tkachuk, who sat out St. Louis' game against the host Blackhawks with a lower-body injury, made his way through the press box for interviews between periods with a smile on his face and a hand extended to familiar faces there to congratulate him.

After 19 seasons in the National Hockey League, the Tkachuk has decided that his body has taken enough of a pounding as one of his era's toughest power forwards.

"It's been a tough year with my health, so it's definitely the right decision to step away after this season," he said. "It's always hard. I played a lot of years and cherish every moment."...

·
Premium Member
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good for him. It's crazy to think that he has spent half his life playing pro hockey in the NHL.
Yep, literally half. He's 38 and has been playing for 19 years.

·
Premium Member
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Some of his career achievements:

19 NHL seasons
10th all-time in powerplay goals (212)
2nd in goals for U.S.-born players (538)
5th in total points for U.S.-born players (1,063)
4th player with 2,200 pentalty minutes and 1,000 points
Played in 5 NHL All-Star games
4 Olympic appearances

·
Premium Member
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Keith Tkachuk Loves St. Louis As Much As We Do
Brad Lee said:
...Tkachuk had been the first American to lead the NHL in scoring. He had been in the top 10 in NHL goal scoring three times. He was the power forward who could camp out in front of the opposition's net, screen the goalie, tip pucks in -- do the dirty work that Pierre Turgeon, Scott Young and Pavol Demitra couldn't/wouldn't do. And in that first postseason just weeks after joining the team, the Blues made the Conference Finals for the first time since the Monday Night Miracle in 1985-86...

·
Premium Member
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was hoping he would be traded at the deadline for a last shot at a Cup.
What team could that have been? What team with shot to win the Cup would have a role for him to fill?

·
Registered
59 Posts
One of the last few remaining Jets.

:(

·
Registered
134 Posts
One of my favorate players when he was in Phoenix, definatly a great in my book. I wish the best for him in whatever he decides to take on now that hes no longer in the NHL.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts