Hockey Fan Forums banner

Timing is right for Stuart

967 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  panoo 
#1 ·
Bruins could use a solid defenseman
By Fluto Shinzawa | August 19, 2007

First-round pick. Captain of his college team during his junior season. Captain of the team of teenagers that won the United States' first gold medal at the World Junior Tournament.

In terms of hockey upbringing, Mark Stuart boasts an impressive résumé. But his NHL career hasn't followed the trajectory that he set in earlier years.

In where-did-the-time-go fashion, Stuart will enter Bruins training camp next month as a third-year pro with only 32 games of NHL experience.

In 2005-06, after leaving Colorado College a year early, Stuart played 60 matches in Providence, adjusting to the pace and lifestyle of the pro game. Stuart, the team's No. 1 pick in 2003 (they selected Patrice Bergeron in the second round that year), was expected to challenge for a big-league job in 2006-07. But he underwent knee surgery July 14, 2006, missed training camp, and saw action in only 15 NHL games because of the setback.

Stuart and the Providence Bruins thought they could go deep in the AHL playoffs. But the defenseman sprained his right ankle and played in only three games.

"He could barely put any pressure on it," said Bruins general manager Peter Chiarelli. "But he gutted it out for a couple games. He's a tough kid."

As Stuart enters the final season of his three-year entry-level deal, the 6-foot-2-inch defenseman is fully healthy. He understands the speed and technique required in pro hockey. And with Boston's defense projecting to be the club's weakest area, Stuart will make a play for an NHL job out of camp for the first time.

"It will be a bonus to participate in camp, be given a shot, and be out there on the ice every day," said Stuart, who has been skating since early June at an Eden Prairie, Minn., rink along with his brothers, plus Washington defenseman Ben Clymer and several other players from the Minneapolis area. "I'm excited to be a part of it. It was really tough last year going through rehab and not being able to participate in camp.

"I'm just looking at it as an opportunity and something to work hard at. I'm looking at it as showing them that I belong in Boston. We'll see how it goes. I think I've prepared myself well enough to do my best and show them I belong there."

Because of his limited NHL experience, Stuart will kick off camp as something of a wild card on a blue-line corps that's filled with question marks. The Bruins have Zdeno Chara, who promises to rebound from a disappointing 2006-07, but the depth drops off after the captain.

Aaron Ward, 34, had a minus-8 rating in 20 games with the Bruins last season. Andrew Ference has traditionally been a second-pairing defenseman. By his own admission, Andrew Alberts suffered a dip in performance at the end of the year. Dennis Wideman showed hints of offensive creativity, but the 24-year-old has yet to develop into a dependable defenseman. Bobby Allen is a depth defenseman with 32 career NHL games.

In 2006-07, Stuart made the most of his NHL playing time, finishing with a team-best plus-7 rating. When he's on his game, Stuart plays a mean, rugged style and doesn't back down from the rough stuff. Off the ice, from Colorado College's Scott Owens to Providence's Scott Gordon, Stuart's coaches rave about his off-the-charts character and dressing-room demeanor.

"I wouldn't call it a surprise," Chiarelli said when asked if Stuart could become a valuable contributor. "He's got a pretty good pedigree. He was the captain of that world junior team. He's excelled in his role wherever he's been."

With his ankle feeling fine, Stuart has been working out with skating coach Barry Karn, formerly employed by Calgary and most recently hired by St. Louis. One criticism of Stuart was that at the NHL level, he'd be a tick slower than opposing forwards, allowing them to gain position in the danger zones.

Under Karn, Stuart has concentrated on his skating technique in tight areas, adding power to his stride and making his bursts more efficient.

Stuart plans to leave for Boston in the next few days, and will be part of an early wave of Bruins who'll kick off informal skates at Ristuccia Arena Aug. 27. Two weeks later, under the watch of new head coach Claude Julien, Stuart and the rest of the boys will begin their bids for roster spots.

"We've left spots open on defense and I don't want to exclude a fellow like Matt Lashoff," said Chiarelli. "But just based on Mark's progression and how he's developing, there is a very good opportunity for him."

FULL STORY

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.