Hockey Fan Forums banner

This Summer's Latest Rumblings

14K views 255 replies 28 participants last post by  M.W. 
#1 ·
I thought it was time to freshen up our Canucks' off-season activity with a new latest rumblings thread.

To start I think we may have some good news.

TSN said:
It appears Taylor Pyatt and the Vancouver Canucks are getting closer.

According to CKNW radio in Vancouver, the Canucks have offered Pyatt a two-year deal with Pyatt's agent saying it's a "legitimate offer".

Pyatt is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent on July 1.

"Talks continue to move in a positive direction," Pyatt's agent Todd Christie told CKNW. "They've expressed a real desire to have (Pyatt) return."

The two sides talked earlier this season but were far apart with the Canucks reportedly offering $1.2 million per season and Pyatt looking for a three-year deal worth $1.5 million per year.

"They've made some serious concessions, as have we," Christie told the radio station. "We're still discussing some different issues but it grows more and more positive as the talks continue."

Last season, Pyatt joined the Sedin twins on the Canucks' top line, scoring 23 goals and 37 points, both career highs.
http://tsn.ca/nhl/teams/news_story/?ID=209259&hubname=nhl-canucks

It's good to know that both sides seem to be going through compromises. It's also good to know that Pyatt seems to be happy with 1.2-1.5 just as most of us expected. It's very favorable for this organization to have it's players humbled enough to do what is reasonable for the team, but hungry enough to get the best they can get from this team. That bodes well on and off the ice.

#2 ·
This would be a good thing, and listening to the Team 1040 the other day, they had Pyat's agent on and it sounds like all but a done deal. Pyatt could make much more on the open market, but he wants to remain here, he knows a good thing when he has it (unlike some other winger who shall remain nameless). With Kelser signed, Pyatt on the verge and rumours Cowan is next, Nonis will have a good chunk of this team returning for next season.

#3 ·
I know I didn;t watch the nuckers, but honestly why do you want to pay a guy 1.5 mill to play on a line where someone could put up 60 pts for less the a million. The Sedins really do inflate stats and to double this guys salary because of it seems a tad ill advised

#4 ·
I know I didn;t watch the nuckers, but honestly why do you want to pay a guy 1.5 mill to play on a line where someone could put up 60 pts for less the a million. The Sedins really do inflate stats and to double this guys salary because of it seems a tad ill advised
Well, first of all, he didn't play the entire season on the Sedin line, and wasn't on the top PP unit with them for at last half the year. So it's a bit of a misconception that the Sedins were entirely responsible for his offense this year.

Secondly, he's 25. Players typically peak offensively between the age of 28 and 31, so there is a good possibility he can improve on his 23 goals. Should hit 30 over the term of the contract, the Canucks get a 30 goal man at a bargain rate.

Lastly, he is a 23 goal man on an offensively challenged team that doesn't have a lot of breathing room under the cap and nothing of note offensively on the right side behind him. I don't see who is going to come in and score 60 points for less than a million playing with the twins. There is no Pavel Bure in their system right now.

Pyatt at somewhere between 1.2 and 1.5 million is a pretty good deal for them at this point. Let's get it done and move on.

#6 ·
#7 ·
Thats a decent enough signing given the cap space left.

My only problem with Pyatt is for such a big guy he doesn't always play physical enough. I'd like to see him get a bit of a mean streak and play with an edge.
Yeah, agreed

I'd also like to see him develop that edge. I'm not sure he's that kind of player, but time will tell

#8 ·
Anyway, this isn't a rumour..just an idea..mentioned it before

How about Justin Williams from Carolina? He's a R shot, speedy, 30 goal scorer, young, and makes similar money to the Sedins. Basically, he's everything the Canucks need

The Canes missed A. Ward, and really don't have a great defense. Plus, the Canucks have dealt with the Canes before..

So, the obvious choice would be Ohlund for Williams..since both have the same salary

But, thoughts?

#9 ·
Thats a decent enough signing given the cap space left.

My only problem with Pyatt is for such a big guy he doesn't always play physical enough. I'd like to see him get a bit of a mean streak and play with an edge.
I've been calling for the same efforts from him all season. He's a better fighter then some might assume.

RB

#10 ·

How about Justin Williams from Carolina? He's a R shot, speedy, 30 goal scorer, young, and makes similar money to the Sedins. Basically, he's everything the Canucks need

The Canes missed A. Ward, and really don't have a great defense. Plus, the Canucks have dealt with the Canes before..

So, the obvious choice would be Ohlund for Williams..since both have the same salary

But, thoughts?
Makes sense. ;) Perhaps they would even consider Mo for Williams. ;) :)

RB

#11 ·

But, thoughts?
If that deal was on the table, I'd take it as soon as it fell out of the sky. Williams would be the perfect guy to add to our group, goal scoring touch, speed, and a Cup ring to boot.

#12 ·
#13 ·

But, thoughts?
Sometimes watching a team game in, game out, gives you an appreciation of just how valuable a certain player is. Other times, it can lead to taking a valuable player for granted. I can't help but wonder if that's what's happened with Ohlund.

Since the 'Nucks elimination, I've read several of you guys talking about moving him, and frankly I'm stupefied. I think the loss of Ohlund from the Vancouver blueline would leave a much bigger hole than some people seem to think ... and filling it would be extremely difficult because the current market for defensemen demands a lot more than $3.5 million for a blue-liner of Ohlund's calibre.

Nowadays, you can get a solid defensive d-man for $3.5... or you can get a moderatley effective offensive d-man for $3.5. If you want a rock solid defensive d-man who can also put up 10 goals a season, that'll cost you closer to $5 million. IMHO, Vancouver fans should be thrilled that they're getting such a discount.

Having said all that, I think that Williams would be a great fit in Vancouver. I just wouldn't part with Ohlund to get him.

#14 ·
Sometimes watching a team game in, game out, gives you an appreciation of just how valuable a certain player is. Other times, it can lead to taking a valuable player for granted. I can't help but wonder if that's what's happened with Ohlund.

Since the 'Nucks elimination, I've read several of you guys talking about moving him, and frankly I'm stupefied. I think the loss of Ohlund from the Vancouver blueline would leave a much bigger hole than some people seem to think ... and filling it would be extremely difficult because the current market for defensemen demands a lot more than $3.5 million for a blue-liner of Ohlund's calibre.

Nowadays, you can get a solid defensive d-man for $3.5... or you can get a moderatley effective offensive d-man for $3.5. If you want a rock solid defensive d-man who can also put up 10 goals a season, that'll cost you closer to $5 million. IMHO, Vancouver fans should be thrilled that they're getting such a discount.

Having said all that, I think that Williams would be a great fit in Vancouver. I just wouldn't part with Ohlund to get him.
I agree whole heartedly, it amazes me how a guy can have one sub-par season and all of a sudden he is trade bait. Ohlund is still a valuable player on this defence, and losing him would be a huge loss. Yes Williams would be nice no question, but to sacrifice a top 4 defenceman on a team that plays a defensive system, for an offensive guy who;s numbers will likely decline in that system, wouldnt make a lot of sense. Remeber how everyone was on naslund for his lack of scoring? Same would likely happen with Williams. We would lose a big, strong defenceman for another checking winger.

#15 ·
I agree whole heartedly, it amazes me how a guy can have one sub-par season and all of a sudden he is trade bait. Ohlund is still a valuable player on this defence, and losing him would be a huge loss. Yes Williams would be nice no question, but to sacrifice a top 4 defenceman on a team that plays a defensive system, for an offensive guy who;s numbers will likely decline in that system, wouldnt make a lot of sense. Remeber how everyone was on naslund for his lack of scoring? Same would likely happen with Williams. We would lose a big, strong defenceman for another checking winger.
He hasn't had one subpar season, he's had two, the two new season's of the new NHL. I really don't think he's the same player he used to be, his hitting has dropped off, and his puck moving seems to be declining too. He's horrible at keeping pucks in the zone at the line, and he makes a habit out of fanning on the pass. Ohlund was our shutdown guy for years, and now he have Willie Mitchell. He's our shutdown guy.

Here's what I'm thinking. This team got a lot of points out of their blueline last season, and they didn't get enough points from up front. That blueline scoring disappeared in the playoffs, and is really what killed us. If we turn some of the scoring from the blueline into scoring on the goal line, we've helped ourselves.

Bieksa had a breakout season, and Salo was honestly healthier and more effective than I expected him to be. Those two are going to be the two guys who put up the most points on our blueline. I would like to see them get a good puck mover to feed our forwards coming out of the zone or get someone who can give Salo something to shoot. Just like we laugh and say McCabe is good at shooting what Kaberle gives him, I'd like to see hear us say "Salo is good at shooting what someone gives him."

I'd really like someone to be Lukas Krajieck, I think he developed incredibly last season, he was playing a stronger game as the season went on, and really hit a peak in the playoffs. If he breaks out similarly to how Bieksa broke out last season, we're in good shape.

This organization is deeper on the blueline than most. We have Salo, Mitchell, Ohlund, Bieksa, and Krajicek under contract for next year along with Rory Fitzpatrick waiting to be signed. That's six solid NHL defenseman. To add to that we have Edler who showed he can play solid NHL hockey along with two good prospects in Bourdon and Koltsov if we can get him here from Russia. With a system so deep on the blueline, I think we can afford to trade from our blueline to add to where we lack depth, the forward lines.

Ohlund is a hot commodity in the NHL, he's a defenseman who can play defense and score. I'd like to see us move a hot commodity and replace it a puck mover or just a plain old solid rock. I don't want Ohlund's spot to turn into a liability, but I would like to see us trade him for what he's worth.

#17 ·
Luongo had a good start with the Canucks, taking them to 3rd place in the West and then to the 2nd Round, so who knows? Luongo is a very good Canadian Goalie and that could just be the start of his debut with Vancouver. Plus the Canucks have a backup who doesn't do much, but not nothing, like Markannen.
They also have Ohlund, Bieksa, Salo and Mitchell on the blue line along with Morrison, Burrows, Linden, Kesler, Naslund, Smolinski, the Sedins and Cooke at Center ice and so that's a darn good team they got there. Now why aren't they winning the cup? Here's why, the majority of their team is made up of quite a few Swedish players. Good ones, sure, and now they have an awesome Canadian on the blue ice, so they have a pretty good shot at it, but until they get some more Canadians on their roster, they won't be expected.

#18 ·
Luongo had a good start with the Canucks, taking them to 3rd place in the West and then to the 2nd Round, so who knows? Luongo is a very good Canadian Goalie and that could just be the start of his debut with Vancouver. Plus the Canucks have a backup who doesn't do much, but not nothing, like Markannen.
They also have Ohlund, Bieksa, Salo and Mitchell on the blue line along with Morrison, Burrows, Linden, Kesler, Naslund, Smolinski, the Sedins and Cooke at Center ice and so that's a darn good team they got there. Now why aren't they winning the cup? Here's why, the majority of their team is made up of quite a few Swedish players. Good ones, sure, and now they have an awesome Canadian on the blue ice, so they have a pretty good shot at it, but until they get some more Canadians on their roster, they won't be expected.
I think racist comments should not be tolerated.

#19 ·
He hasn't had one subpar season, he's had two, the two new season's of the new NHL. I really don't think he's the same player he used to be, his hitting has dropped off, and his puck moving seems to be declining too. He's horrible at keeping pucks in the zone at the line, and he makes a habit out of fanning on the pass. Ohlund was our shutdown guy for years, and now he have Willie Mitchell. He's our shutdown guy.

Here's what I'm thinking. This team got a lot of points out of their blueline last season, and they didn't get enough points from up front. That blueline scoring disappeared in the playoffs, and is really what killed us. If we turn some of the scoring from the blueline into scoring on the goal line, we've helped ourselves.

Bieksa had a breakout season, and Salo was honestly healthier and more effective than I expected him to be. Those two are going to be the two guys who put up the most points on our blueline. I would like to see them get a good puck mover to feed our forwards coming out of the zone or get someone who can give Salo something to shoot. Just like we laugh and say McCabe is good at shooting what Kaberle gives him, I'd like to see hear us say "Salo is good at shooting what someone gives him."

I'd really like someone to be Lukas Krajieck, I think he developed incredibly last season, he was playing a stronger game as the season went on, and really hit a peak in the playoffs. If he breaks out similarly to how Bieksa broke out last season, we're in good shape.

This organization is deeper on the blueline than most. We have Salo, Mitchell, Ohlund, Bieksa, and Krajicek under contract for next year along with Rory Fitzpatrick waiting to be signed. That's six solid NHL defenseman. To add to that we have Edler who showed he can play solid NHL hockey along with two good prospects in Bourdon and Koltsov if we can get him here from Russia. With a system so deep on the blueline, I think we can afford to trade from our blueline to add to where we lack depth, the forward lines.

Ohlund is a hot commodity in the NHL, he's a defenseman who can play defense and score. I'd like to see us move a hot commodity and replace it a puck mover or just a plain old solid rock. I don't want Ohlund's spot to turn into a liability, but I would like to see us trade him for what he's worth.
That's pretty much my view on Ohlund. I'm not saying he's completely lost it, but I think the Canucks D needs to get a lot better in its puck movement, and Ohlund is a little slow in that department. Now that said, because of his salary and the fact that he's locked in at that number for two more seasons, he'd be valuable trade bait and could land them one or two very solid younger players in return.

But, and it's a big but, they would need to replace him with a good puck mover. Trading him for forwards would leave a gaping hole on the back end.

And speaking to that, Nonis said on the Team 1040 yesterday that he doesn't expect to be chasing after any of the top tier FAs available this summer (guys making 5 million or more), but he does expect to make 3 or 4 trades to improve.

#20 ·
That's pretty much my view on Ohlund. I'm not saying he's completely lost it, but I think the Canucks D needs to get a lot better in its puck movement, and Ohlund is a little slow in that department. Now that said, because of his salary and the fact that he's locked in at that number for two more seasons, he'd be valuable trade bait and could land them one or two very solid younger players in return.

But, and it's a big but, they would need to replace him with a good puck mover. Trading him for forwards would leave a gaping hole on the back end.

And speaking to that, Nonis said on the Team 1040 yesterday that he doesn't expect to be chasing after any of the top tier FAs available this summer (guys making 5 million or more), but he does expect to make 3 or 4 trades to improve.
Speaking of that interview on the Team 1040, i also heard it. Nonis obviously isnt going to tip his hand on what he is going to do, no GM does, i really think he will be a player in at least 2 of the available FA's despite what he says. I can also remember this time last year he said they are not in the running for Luongo either. GM's seem to have their own language, it just has to be deciphered.

#21 ·
Speaking of that interview on the Team 1040, i also heard it. Nonis obviously isnt going to tip his hand on what he is going to do, no GM does, i really think he will be a player in at least 2 of the available FA's despite what he says. I can also remember this time last year he said they are not in the running for Luongo either. GM's seem to have their own language, it just has to be deciphered.
Bear in mind, the whole Luongo thing went down very quickly. Yes, he later admitted that he had spoken to Keenan about Luongo the previous summer, but Keenan didn't decide to trade Luongo until the week before the draft, and it took about 48 hours for him to get the deal done with Nonis.

In this instance, when Nonis says he won't be chasing a 5 million dollar plus FA this summer, I believe him. There is no reason for him to be hiding anything. I can see him having some interest in bringing in a 3 to 4 million dollar forward, but as long as Naslund's 6 mil is still on the books, that's about it unless he does trade Ohlund.

#23 ·
hard to blame him. Sounds like McCleanen is out in Alberta and Clem in NJ is always being looked to be replaced so Sabourin could play simular roles there for slightly higher pay, but if its ice time he wants I think teams like STL and Toronto have a history of gambling, though I doubt he would be very goodplaying 15-20 games.

#26 ·
One can hardly blame the kid. He wants to play, to prove he's a number one guy. For my money, the Canucks should sit him and his agent down and cut a deal. Sign with us and we'll move you to a team where you'll play. This way both parties win.

Someone like Tampa, Columbus and even Florida or LA could use a talented young guy like this. And the ice time would be a plenty!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.