Hockey Fan Forums banner
221 - 240 of 256 Posts
Nonis is craftier than we give him credit for. He'll pull something out of the hat by Game 1.

Staal would be our 1 or 2 center for the next 15 years if the "stars" were so inclined. However, I believe it would take more than Ohlund and a 1st pick. Would you throw in Cooke to seal the deal? I might....I think Staal is the kind of player you build a top 6 around.

RB
No, I would not throw in Cooke. They really missed him in last year's playoffs, so I would not be so quick to part with him. I can't speak for what the players in the room think of him, but I'd guess that they'd rather play with him than against him.

I think we need to be sure we're seeing Staal for what he is. His numbers were OK for a rookie, with 29 goals and 42 points, but they weren't stellar. And you can't discount the playmaking talent he was surrounded with in Pittsburgh last year. In Staal I see a second line centre for the Canucks, one that with his size can be the perfect compliment to Henrik as a one-two punch. I think Staal has the proverbial nose for the net, which would make him a nice fit with Naslund. But in Pittsburgh he's a third line centre behind Crosby and Malkin.

I think Ohlund and a first round pick is a fair deal. The Pens would get one of the better two-way defenseman in the league that is signed at well below market for the next two seasons and a first round pick. If that deal needs to be sweetened, I'd convert the pick into Bourdon, but that's about as high I'd go.

Right now, we need more Cooke type players in the lineup, not less. And remember, Cooke is only 28. His best offensive seasons may still be front of him.

I'd be surprised if the Pens are considering offers for Staal, but if they are, I suspect that Ohlund + a 1st rounder wouldn't be nearly enough.... hell, from a Pittsburgh point of view, I wouldn't do it even if Cooke were in the deal. It's worth noting that Staal put up the numbers he did without playing with Crosby. Also keep in mind that he's already a stellar defensive player.

To Vancouver: a rising young superstar

To Pittsburgh: a #2 defenseman who's 2 years away from unrestricted free agency, a draft pick, and a checking centre

Somehow I don't think that will get the Pens attention.

I'd be surprised if the Pens are considering offers for Staal, but if they are, I suspect that Ohlund + a 1st rounder wouldn't be nearly enough.... hell, from a Pittsburgh point of view, I wouldn't do it even if Cooke were in the deal. It's worth noting that Staal put up the numbers he did without playing with Crosby. Also keep in mind that he's already a stellar defensive player.

To Vancouver: a rising young superstar

To Pittsburgh: a #2 defenseman who's 2 years away from unrestricted free agency, a draft pick, and a checking centre

Somehow I don't think that will get the Pens attention.
Cooke isn't a centre, but yeah, I agree with you. Stall is huge, he's defensively sound, great on the PK, he knows how to score, and he's what, 18/19? I mean, yeah the Pens have a surplus of future stars, but I don't think you're going to get them out of there very easily, because their best shot at a cup is probably to keep those guys around and win before they're all making more money than they can fit under the cap.

I wouldn't call Staal a superstar.
no but next season he will be 18 and is already an outstanding player. He will continue to develop and, I believe, that it is only a matter of time till Staal is a franchise player in this league. He may never be a top five scorer, but his defensive game is already quite developed and he has a knack for difficult goals, I say an over the hill defence man, a late first round draft pick and third line checker who will probably play just a tad more then fifty games next season are definitely less then market value for Staal.

Eklund's Canuck rumour du jour is Ohlund and Schneider to Tampa for St. Louis and a goaltending prospect...

And MaCabe, Ohlund turns 31 next month. :rolleyes:

And MW, Cooke came into the NHL as a centre. He can play all three forward positions.

Crosby is a superstar. Ovechkin is a superstar. Luongo is a superstar. I wouldn't put Staal on their level on his best day and their worst.

Eklund's Canuck rumour du jour is Ohlund and Schneider to Tampa for St. Louis and a goaltending prospect...

And MaCabe, Ohlund turns 31 next month. :rolleyes:

And MW, Cooke came into the NHL as a centre. He can play all three forward positions.

Crosby is a superstar. Ovechkin is a superstar. Luongo is a superstar. I wouldn't put Staal on their level on his best day and their worst.
Gordo, the kid has played one season barely....and is 18. I do think it shouldn't be too long before he runs in the company of the games best. However, as for the St.louis rumor/eklund propsal....I don't mind that trade at all. St. Louis would be a welcome addition in my books.

As for Cooke being a center, sure, maybe at one time but honestly, I cannot recall him even at the dot, let alone winning a draw.

God, you know it's mid august when "rumors" are my fix. :haha:

RB

Well, all I gotta say is hip hip hooray!

http://http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=216278&hubname=

Rusty
LOL...

I tell you, I've just had this feeling all offseason that this is where they were looking. It makes perfect sense. It also explains why Nonis hasn't added a significant piece to the top 6 forward group yet...

Here's to hope.

Still more Canuck rumour mongering from our buddy Eklund...

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=8991

Apparently the Canucks may now be looking at Bergeron...he also says Lindros may still be a possibilty...nothing like a little indigestion before bed...

LOL...

I tell you, I've just had this feeling all offseason that this is where they were looking. It makes perfect sense. It also explains why Nonis hasn't added a significant piece to the top 6 forward group yet...

Here's to hope.

Still more Canuck rumour mongering from our buddy Eklund...

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=8991

Apparently the Canucks may now be looking at Bergeron...he also says Lindros may still be a possibilty...nothing like a little indigestion before bed...
Yes but did you see who titlund has offered up for him? Mitchell for gawds sake.

Gordo, sometimes I think this guy blogs BS to keep the hits coming to that site and that is it. I would love to know his accuracy. His site is like a bad drug that keeps people coming back. I think I have a new name for him....."cracklund" - this guys like facebook for crying out loud.

However, not that I would complain to see Bergeron here. I've always liked him however, I don't think Mitchell should be moved whatsoever unless someone is on board to immediately replace him.

RB

221 - 240 of 256 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.