Hockey Fan Forums banner
201 - 220 of 256 Posts
Whoa! back atchya :)

Ultimately I really am not solid on my proposal, it was a mere suggestion. Further, my post was moreso in support of the kid and his production. I was countering your guys insistance that he's now a lame duck cause of his injuries which his numbers and overall performance prove otherwise completely. However, I do believe losing Mo now isn't in this teams best interests and if you'll noticed I went on to say that moving Ohlund worked better for both clubs anyway(in this scenario). Bringing a guy like Cole in would solve who played with Naslund and Mo. He'd be a nice fit and perhaps an even better fit with the Twins.

Erik Cole is no lame duck. 29 goals and 32 assists - not bad, imagine what the Twins could do for those numbers....Whoa! ;) :haha:

Hope the line hasn't been to mundane these days.....

Rusty
Well, tonight will be the real test. I'm compressing my twenty hours in now so that I can take some shifts in Richmond, so tonight and tomorrow will be 7 hour shifts. Real fun.

Maybe you're right about Cole. I think I heard somewhere that the Canes brass feels he's come a little gunshy since being cheapshotted by Orpik. Maybe not. But I can't help but wonder why the Canes are shopping him after being so high on him before the injury.

However. Hies 30 goals and 60 points would be a nice fit on this team.

Well, tonight will be the real test. I'm compressing my twenty hours in now so that I can take some shifts in Richmond, so tonight and tomorrow will be 7 hour shifts. Real fun.

Maybe you're right about Cole. I think I heard somewhere that the Canes brass feels he's come a little gunshy since being cheapshotted by Orpik. Maybe not. But I can't help but wonder why the Canes are shopping him after being so high on him before the injury.

However. Hies 30 goals and 60 points would be a nice fit on this team.
Which is completely understandable. However, anyone who can still score 30 in this league while being "gunshy" is anyone I am willing to consider. Further, if he should manage to get past that mental block then look out. Skies the limit for him. Bah, nothing a few fights wouldn't help get rid of...;) :git:

With luck that strike caos will be done by weeks end; fingers crossed for you.

Rusty

Which is completely understandable. However, anyone who can still score 30 in this league while being "gunshy" is anyone I am willing to consider. Further, if he should manage to get past that mental block then look out. Skies the limit for him. Bah, nothing a few fights wouldn't help get rid of...;) :git:

With luck that strike caos will be done by weeks end; fingers crossed for you.

Rusty
Thanks, bud. As of tonight, there appears to be a tiny bit of light forming at the end of the tunnel.

Thanks, bud. As of tonight, there appears to be a tiny bit of light forming at the end of the tunnel.
Good to hear. Funny enough, there isn't much news of this out my way. Thought to share. Perhaps I've missed it though since I've had a birthday this weekend and my head has been in the clouds so to speak. ;) Maybe that's why I am so "high" on Cole too :haha:

RB

Good to hear. Funny enough, there isn't much news of this out my way. Thought to share. Perhaps I've missed it though since I've had a birthday this weekend and my head has been in the clouds so to speak. ;) Maybe that's why I am so "high" on Cole too :haha:

RB
Well, there is a media blackout surrounding the talks, so not much is being said. But word was on the line last night that the union halls were optimistic about being back at work on Monday.

So on Saturday some of the guys on the line find a sign stuck to a pole at City Hall that read something like this..."I'll be back with my AK-47 to kill all you lazy ****s".

Nice, eh? And it's probably some goof who is just pissed about his garbage not getting picked up. Meanwhile, we're out there fighting for our livlihood. How do you think the people who are forced to bring their kids to the line with them felt about that arsehile's sign when they heard about it?

What a meat hook.

Well, there is a media blackout surrounding the talks, so not much is being said. But word was on the line last night that the union halls were optimistic about being back at work on Monday.

So on Saturday some of the guys on the line find a sign stuck to a pole at City Hall that read something like this..."I'll be back with my AK-47 to kill all you lazy ****s".

Nice, eh? And it's probably some goof who is just pissed about his garbage not getting picked up. Meanwhile, we're out there fighting for our livlihood. How do you think the people who are forced to bring their kids to the line with them felt about that arsehile's sign when they heard about it?

What a meat hook.
Yesus that's terrible. :frown: What's with people....If I were you guys I'd be calling the media. To hell with the black out. People ought to know what is happening out there. That is prime juice for the press. Call em up, plead your cases.

Be safe.

rusty

Well, Eklund's latest list has Vancouver linked to quite a few names...Forsberg, Lindros, Allison, Carter, Bulis and Marian Hossa...

Also, he says some interesting things about Forsberg...

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=8883
Yeah I was reading the blog this morning. And you know, aside from Foppa I am just not sure any of these guys would really add to our teams chemistry. Sure, Hossa's a great talent but is he a team guy? I would love to have his ability but not at the expense of the locker room. And before people fly off the handle I am not saying that Hossa is NOT a team guy, I am merely asking....

Bulis, no thanks. Allison....for what? We need yet another center? Aside from Foppa ofcourse...;) and Lindros....I just don't know about that, I think I like our chances with Isbister more.

Well, Eklund takes a lot of crud from many of us but in all reality, without him summer sure would be boring. ;) :haha:

RB

I'm with Rusty on Hossa...I don't want to see them give up what they'd have to to make that kind of room for a player that hasn't had the best track record in the playoffs. 35 points in 55 games isn't terrible, but it's not what you'd expect from a guy who has been consistently a PPG player in the regular season.

If they are going to add a seven million dollar player, for my money, at this point it had better be someone with a stellar playoff resumee.

I'd take a chance on Forsberg, Carter or Allison for the right price. I wouldn't touch Lindros to save my life, and Bulis...A for effort last season, but they need to spend that money on offense.

The guy I left off that list was Elias, but we've talked about him already...I'd be concerned with his hep problem.

Interestingly, he has Ohlund's name linked to Pittsburgh...I've floated an Ohlund for Staal possibilty before. Now that would be a deal I'd chase hard if I were Nonis...yes, I do realize that someone or something else would have to be included with Ohlund. But I'd do Ohlund and a first round pick in a heartbeat. Especially since his cap hit is just 2.2 per and he's signed through the 08/09 season.

I'm with Rusty on Hossa...I don't want to see them give up what they'd have to to make that kind of room for a player that hasn't had the best track record in the playoffs. 35 points in 55 games isn't terrible, but it's not what you'd expect from a guy who has been consistently a PPG player in the regular season.

If they are going to add a seven million dollar player, for my money, at this point it had better be someone with a stellar playoff resumee.

I'd take a chance on Forsberg, Carter or Allison for the right price. I wouldn't touch Lindros to save my life, and Bulis...A for effort last season, but they need to spend that money on offense.

The guy I left off that list was Elias, but we've talked about him already...I'd be concerned with his hep problem.

Interestingly, he has Ohlund's name linked to Pittsburgh...I've floated an Ohlund for Staal possibilty before. Now that would be a deal I'd chase hard if I were Nonis...yes, I do realize that someone or something else would have to be included with Ohlund. But I'd do Ohlund and a first round pick in a heartbeat. Especially since his cap hit is just 2.2 per and he's signed through the 08/09 season.
Staal would be our 1 or 2 center for the next 15 years if the "stars" were so inclined. However, I believe it would take more than Ohlund and a 1st pick. Would you throw in Cooke to seal the deal? I might....I think Staal is the kind of player you build a top 6 around.

RB

Discussion starter · #212 ·
Honestly, I think Pittsburgh would like to bring in a guy like Cooke. Perhaps Ohlund and Cooke would be enough to fetch Staal.

As for Hossa, I wouldn't mind adding this guy to our lineup at all. He's got all the speed and skills you could want with a little bit of grit to top him off as a total package forward. I would love to have this guy on our team, he's one of the few Czech's out there who's style I really like.

Honestly, I think Pittsburgh would like to bring in a guy like Cooke. Perhaps Ohlund and Cooke would be enough to fetch Staal.

As for Hossa, I wouldn't mind adding this guy to our lineup at all. He's got all the speed and skills you could want with a little bit of grit to top him off as a total package forward. I would love to have this guy on our team, he's one of the few Czech's out there who's style I really like.
Well they do seem to like ex Canucks....ala Ruutu. As the old saying goes, everyone is available for the right price.

As for Hossa, I am listening. All I was curious about was his teammenship. The last thing this team needs is a premadonna. I have one other concern for his calibre of player. Does he have the inner craving to win a cup? Or is he just another super talented Euro who packs er' in when the going gets tough. I agree that we could benifit from an impact player of his ilk but for my 7 mil I think I'd rather a Canadian. I want this team to be lead by people who would throw them selves in front of a train for their team and the Cup. I am not against Hossa if that is what he will bring to us. However, for some reason I have my doubts.

By the way lossy, nice to see you posting again. Hope the summer's been good to ya! :git: :hky1:

RB

Discussion starter · #214 ·
There hasn't been much activity lately.

The Summer's been alright, a little too hot for my liking, but I've done some fun **** lately and lots of it.

I think Pittsburgh feels they need to have someone like Cooke to agitate the opposition to keep the focus off their young stars. Someone like Cooke is a good target to punk, and I think Pittsburgh would like to have Cooke and Ruutu getting under the skins of their opposition and having a target put on those guys instead of Crosby and Malkin.

Well Rusty, we'd all love to have that Canadian like Niedermayer or Sakic who will go out on the ice and play hard effective minutes all throughout the playoffs, but most of the time you have to develop a player into that type of player. They don't just walk as free agents. Scott Nidermayer has played for one other team in his career and Joe Sakic has played with none. Same goes for Steve Yzerman.

Hossa is a guy this team should take a serious look at if they can fit him under their cap. He's been on two choker playoff teams, so I can hear Gordo saying "don't bother bringing him here then", but I think in the right surroundings anyone can flourish. With Luongo here and a good PK, you can pet a scorer like Hossa will see his role on the team and excel with it.

I seriously think the last missing piece to our big puzzle is finding that premiere scorer. We've got muckers and setup men, we've got penalty killers, and we've got goaltender. If you had that star scorer in their who can make that great pass or slap that one goal by, we've got a hell of team.

There hasn't been much activity lately.

The Summer's been alright, a little too hot for my liking, but I've done some fun **** lately and lots of it.

I think Pittsburgh feels they need to have someone like Cooke to agitate the opposition to keep the focus off their young stars. Someone like Cooke is a good target to punk, and I think Pittsburgh would like to have Cooke and Ruutu getting under the skins of their opposition and having a target put on those guys instead of Crosby and Malkin.

Well Rusty, we'd all love to have that Canadian like Niedermayer or Sakic who will go out on the ice and play hard effective minutes all throughout the playoffs, but most of the time you have to develop a player into that type of player. They don't just walk as free agents. Scott Nidermayer has played for one other team in his career and Joe Sakic has played with none. Same goes for Steve Yzerman.

Hossa is a guy this team should take a serious look at if they can fit him under their cap. He's been on two choker playoff teams, so I can hear Gordo saying "don't bother bringing him here then", but I think in the right surroundings anyone can flourish. With Luongo here and a good PK, you can pet a scorer like Hossa will see his role on the team and excel with it.

I seriously think the last missing piece to our big puzzle is finding that premiere scorer. We've got muckers and setup men, we've got penalty killers, and we've got goaltender. If you had that star scorer in their who can make that great pass or slap that one goal by, we've got a hell of team.

Well, so very true. That part where you mention developing a Sakic/Yzerman type, very very true.

Hossa did play for teams that failed. However, to his credit I recall him being a steaky and effective guy on Ottawa's score sheet. Sooo....perhaps we do have enough character and depth in the mucker position to help get a guy like this through the tough times.

What I am most interested in is what in all reality would it take to get a player like Hossa or Staal on this team. This is what I really want to know.

RB

Discussion starter · #216 ·
Well, so very true. That part where you mention developing a Sakic/Yzerman type, very very true.

Hossa did play for teams that failed. However, to his credit I recall him being a steaky and effective guy on Ottawa's score sheet. Sooo....perhaps we do have enough character and depth in the mucker position to help get a guy like this through the tough times.

What I am most interested in is what in all reality would it take to get a player like Hossa or Staal on this team. This is what I really want to know.

RB

I am too. I really wonder what Atlanta is doing. If they want to move Hossa, they don't look like they want vets. They're going to want some kids, and most likely someone they can add to their blueline right away. With Hossa's contract, they'll have to eat some salary to get any kind of a deal done.

Allow me to go Nucks here.

To Vancouver
Marian Hossa
Atlanta 3rd Round Pick

To Atlanta
Mattias Ohlund
Luc Bourdon
Matt Cooke

That's likely the type of package that Vancouver would have to muster. Ohlund would be the guy Atlanta could put into their roster now. Bourdon would be their new bluechip on the blueline that they definately want. Cooke will add some sandpaper to the team, and fill a forward spot so they can move a younster into their top six.

I am too. I really wonder what Atlanta is doing. If they want to move Hossa, they don't look like they want vets. They're going to want some kids, and most likely someone they can add to their blueline right away. With Hossa's contract, they'll have to eat some salary to get any kind of a deal done.

Allow me to go Nucks here.

To Vancouver
Marian Hossa
Atlanta 3rd Round Pick

To Atlanta
Mattias Ohlund
Luc Bourdon
Matt Cooke

That's likely the type of package that Vancouver would have to muster. Ohlund would be the guy Atlanta could put into their roster now. Bourdon would be their new bluechip on the blueline that they definately want. Cooke will add some sandpaper to the team, and fill a forward spot so they can move a younster into their top six.
Well, based on your package, how could Atlanta not seriously look at it. That's a lot and your still picking up 2 mil after you count Ohlunds 3.5 and Cooke's 1.5.

All things aside, a 7 mil guy had better produce. These were his last years numbers

SKATERS: GP G A +/- Pts
M. Hossa 82 43 57 18 100

Not bad my friend. It looks to be a classic case of getting what you pay for. However, we still have no star center. (aside from Henrik) So what, we sandwich Mo between Naslund and Hossa?

Naslund - Morrison - Hossa.

Don't mind the sounds of that actually.

However, I just don't see Atlanta dumping a guy who surpassed Kovalchuk by 24 points and +20. I just don't see it. The only way they'd move him is if there were internal problems IMO.

I think we have to get used to the line up we're currently looking at for seasons start. Everyday I hit up the sites hoping for a surprise but something tells me that between now and training camp all we're going to see is Linden signed, which I fully support.

nuff for now, once again, nice to have you back mountain man. ;)

Rusty

Well, based on your package, how could Atlanta not seriously look at it. That's a lot and your still picking up 2 mil after you count Ohlunds 3.5 and Cooke's 1.5.

All things aside, a 7 mil guy had better produce. These were his last years numbers

SKATERS: GP G A +/- Pts
M. Hossa 82 43 57 18 100

Not bad my friend. It looks to be a classic case of getting what you pay for. However, we still have no star center. (aside from Henrik) So what, we sandwich Mo between Naslund and Hossa?

Naslund - Morrison - Hossa.

Don't mind the sounds of that actually.

However, I just don't see Atlanta dumping a guy who surpassed Kovalchuk by 24 points and +20. I just don't see it. The only way they'd move him is if there were internal problems IMO.

I think we have to get used to the line up we're currently looking at for seasons start. Everyday I hit up the sites hoping for a surprise but something tells me that between now and training camp all we're going to see is Linden signed, which I fully support.

nuff for now, once again, nice to have you back mountain man. ;)

Rusty
Agreed. Although Nonis did say about a week ago that there is still a possibility he'll add more offense.

I don't know. Something still keeps telling me that Forsberg will be signing here.

But I could live with this lineup as long as the plan is to load up at the trade deadline.

Agreed. Although Nonis did say about a week ago that there is still a possibility he'll add more offense.

I don't know. Something still keeps telling me that Forsberg will be signing here.

But I could live with this lineup as long as the plan is to load up at the trade deadline.
Well, Forsberg would be wonderful and would keep our teams star count at the right number IMO. Far to often you see teams load up on talent garnering them all the respect in the world when in the end it seems to do them in. Ala Philly, the Avs a few years ago when people like Selanne were on the third line and last years Nashville team to name a few. I'd take a "team" over any one of them and frankly, I like our group. With the right stars aligned, they could have had a better fate last year. This team needs one more piece to complete the pie and after that, the rest is destiny's job ;) And perhaps.....we're both wrong and they need nothing more but to take Coach V's mantra over the top.

Forsberg's gonna make anyone he plays with better, but he's one man. Teams win cups, players win MVP's. That's why I am regularly offering up people like Cooke to trades. If my hunch is right he's become a bit of a thorn in the locker room. He's got not one players respect in the game all the while we've got two or three people who can do his job and FIGHT when called out! Point is, the closer these guys get as people and players, the better they will be. We've already seen what a haphazard bunch most everyone thought they were at seasons start last year. What did they end up becoming? You get my point. They're not that far off the mark, with or without Peter. I truly hope I am wrong about Cooke cause his 30 points were helpful last year. Furthermore, there is one thing I am not crazy about when it comes to Foppa. He's never in one place very long these days....How is that good for the "team"?

bah, I am preaching to the choir I am sure. Just in from the garage, the Z is coming alone nicely and I thought I would check in while I let my arms have a rest. Also, massive storm again last night, been cutting branches from the mess it left. Gonna fall a tall Maple tomorrow. :frown: Such a shame....

Hope things are improved our your way.

Rusty

Discussion starter · #220 ·
If we start the season with the lineup we have now, I wouldn't be as disappointed as I seem, but I think failing to find a center for Naslund or a winger for the Sedins is an unbelieveable failure.

If Nonis can find that piece and more at the deadline, which he really could do with the amount of space he'll have, I like where we would stand heading into the playoffs.

201 - 220 of 256 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.