Hockey Fan Forums banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Hey, sorry for my attitude in that last post guys, just gettin a little angry with some of the fans. But I do have...two, more points.

Jeikobu, I notice that you have no answer to all of the other great players in Colorado that did worse things than Theo, you just went on with wanting him to repent and crap. So all this says to me is, you're doing what most of the other Theo haters are doing, and judging him before he actually plays for us. Believe me, once he produces a great season next year, you'll be saying, Paris Hilton? Oh who cares, he did great.

And I notice I never touched the Hinote subject. Hinote was nothing to the team besides a fan favorite and a great PR guy. He could barely get above 10 points most seasons, and just like Phish said, he ended up just getting penalty minutes we had to kill off.

So, sorry guys about the attitude earlier, I was just a little steamed. Ciao!

-Adam

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
cruiser said:
Man, I don't think I can take another one of these marathon/quotathon posts. I guess Avs fans never do shut up...

I'll bet everybody a donut the Avs finish with more points and go farther in the playoffs than last year.

They'll have better goaltending and team defense than last year and that will make all the difference. It's as simple as that.

Last season I think Blake and company were more concerned with scoring than defending. They learned a valuable lesson. In the playoffs you don't win 6-5; you have to win 2-1. The Avs simply could not stay in close games.

I'm sure Lacroix/Giguere/Quenneville will address that shortcoming before next years playoffs roll around.

How's that for positive?
That's wishful thinking, not fact.

Adama0905 said:
Jeikobu, I notice that you have no answer to all of the other great players in Colorado that did worse things than Theo, you just went on with wanting him to repent and crap. So all this says to me is, you're doing what most of the other Theo haters are doing, and judging him before he actually plays for us. Believe me, once he produces a great season next year, you'll be saying, Paris Hilton? Oh who cares, he did great.
Don't put words in my mouth, please. ^^;;; I already said that even if Theo shines, I won't fully accept him until I see that he's repented of what he did.
And as for "other great players in Colorado that did worse things than Theo", everything I've read in this thread so far didn't at all matchup to what Theo did, unless I missed something. I can't smile at someone who drops all of his loyalty and morals to ditch his girlfriend and baby and party with a tramp.

Adama0905 said:
And I notice I never touched the Hinote subject. Hinote was nothing to the team besides a fan favorite and a great PR guy. He could barely get above 10 points most seasons, and just like Phish said, he ended up just getting penalty minutes we had to kill off.

So, sorry guys about the attitude earlier, I was just a little steamed. Ciao!
He didn't seem to take that many penalties, and for what he took he made up for on the ice and in the locker room. And again, his area wasn't scoring. I already explained why he was valuable. Our team may not be limping because we lost him, but he was still important to us.

And I appreciate the apology. ^^

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Patrick Roy Arrested for 'Domestic Incident'

Deportation Possible if Found Guilty

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Greenwood Village, CO - October 24, 2000 - One night after winning his 448th game and breaking Terry Sawchuk's record for most NHL wins by a goalie, Patrick Roy was arrested at his home and charged with misdemeanor criminal mischief in connection with an act of domestic violence. His wife was not physically injured during the altercation. According to the police report, Roy and his wife were arguing about in-laws when she called 911 because she was afraid of what he would do. Roy admitted to police that he ripped two doors off their hinges in the master bedroom.

Arapahoe County Judge Richard Jauch issued a restraining order, but it does not prohibit Roy from returning to his wife and three children. The order does prohibit him from harassing, intimidating or retaliating against his wife, as well as, possessing a firearm and consuming alcohol or drugs. Roy posted bail which was set at $750.

According to the Rocky Mountain News, this incident may have serious effects on the status of Roy's visa. Currently, Roy is living in the United States as a "non-immigrant" under a P-1 work visa used for professional athletes and entertainers. The Colorado Avalanche goalie is a Canadian citizen and could be deported if he is convicted of the misdemeanor charge. A conviction is grounds for deportation, or what the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service calls "removal proceedings." However, an INS spokeswoman, added that the charges alone will not affect Roy's status and the INS is not going to look into the case unless he is convicted.

Roy is not prohibited from traveling from the team, but must appear in court on November 7th for a pretrial conference.

Nate Allen

I do believe that that is just about as bad as what Theo did.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Yeah, I do seem to remember hearing something about that. While uncalled for, I still don't see that comparing to what Theo did. Roy lost his temper and went too far, but he didn't assault his family or something. He got very carried away, but otherwise...
In Theo's case he abandoned his morals by abandoning his own girlfriend (or really, wife, since obviously they had to have had sex to have a baby) and baby, and at an important time at that, and partied and made out with a tramp instead.
In summary, Roy completely lost his temper. Theodore abandoned his morals. I think what Theo did was worse, personally.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
This thread has rapidly gone downhill, so I'll just end my involvement with this anecdote.

As the Avs fans here seem to either live in Colorado or like myself resided in that geometric state at one time, I assume they remember the fall of 1995, when the Nordiques landed in Denver as the Avs and underwent possibly the most successful metamorphasis in recent sports history; two championships, eight straight division titles, the longest sell-out streak, etc. But anyone remember what else happened in the fall of 1995? If you, like me, were an eight year old who only wanted to grow up and play first base, you may remember the Rockies clinched a wild-card berth in MLB playoffs.

It's interesting to think of the striking difference between the Avalanche in 1995 and the Rockies in 1995. At the time, nobody had heard much about the Nordiques except that they had been a team that closely resembles today's Pittsburgh Penguins, who had nothing to look forward to except the draft. So Denver fans were happy that their beloved baseball team (which had made the history books as selling more tickets than any other MLB team, ever) had a shot at a championship, and lukewarm that a new, fairly lousy hockey team was coming into town.

If you've followed both teams like I have since that fall in 1995 you know how amazingly different the paths both the two sports teams set out upon. The Avs hit the ground running and won the Cup, while the Rockies fell apart against Greg Maddox (still my most hated pro athelete) and the Atlanta Braves (still my most hated pro sports team). In the next decade, the Rockies would drop below a .500 team and the Avs would skyrocket to instant elite status, which is more or less where we are today.

I've been an Avs fan since day one and a Rockies fan since day one (and a Broncos fan since their first Superbowl) and there's a difference between the two. As an Avalanche fan I can talk trash about the Wings, can chat with guys living across the globe who follow the team, can join in any conversation with fellow burgandy and bluers at away NHL arenas (there are always a bunch of 'em, and even though they are strangers if you wear a jersey/hat/shirt, they'll wave you over and talk to you), etc. It's sort of like being a member of an exclusive country club.

As a Rockies fan it's totally different. When I go to away games, I'm the only one in the stadium wearing black and purple. You get mocked and jeered, and if that happened to me as an Avs fan I would toss back some insults or start a fight (God bless drunken hockey fans), but as a Rockies fan there's a sort of serene calm about it. Sure, I'm a loser, a lousy judge of a good baseball team, a guy who's going to be waiting forever for "the next year", but nobody, nobody can call me a bandwaggoner or a lightweight. It's like I'm a member of some ultra-secret society (like the KKK, except not at all) that nobody but myself and a few dozen other people know about. And while I enjoy the games, win or lose, it's as if it doesn't matter if the team gets blown away by two grand slams and a half-dozen errors, because I'll still be there for the next pitch and I'll be screaming just as loudly.

My point of this rambling story is that maybe it isn't a bad thing if the Avs go downhill next season. I've denied it for awhile but blood attracts sharks and the success of the Avalanche franchise has drawn plenty of lightweight fans who don't know who Uwe Krupp was or don't care about the Lindros trade because the last aftershocks have faded. I've seen enough of them to think that, while I would never wish failure on the team I live and die by, perhaps it wouldn't be such a bad thing if the Avalanche did poorly next season, the season after, the season after. Maybe then the only guy at the away arena wearing a Forsberg jersey would be me, and maybe I would be laughed at, but I would know that there were once hundreds of Forsberg jerseys in this place and now only mine remains. Maybe that little sliver of pride that we all survive by as fans is worth the depression felt by a team under-achieving. And maybe if Pepsi Center still sold out games for a team that's dead last in the division, a little more respect might come our way.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Phish4 said:
My point of this rambling story is that maybe it isn't a bad thing if the Avs go downhill next season. I've denied it for awhile but blood attracts sharks and the success of the Avalanche franchise has drawn plenty of lightweight fans who don't know who Uwe Krupp was or don't care about the Lindros trade because the last aftershocks have faded. I've seen enough of them to think that, while I would never wish failure on the team I live and die by, perhaps it wouldn't be such a bad thing if the Avalanche did poorly next season, the season after, the season after. Maybe then the only guy at the away arena wearing a Forsberg jersey would be me, and maybe I would be laughed at, but I would know that there were once hundreds of Forsberg jerseys in this place and now only mine remains. Maybe that little sliver of pride that we all survive by as fans is worth the depression felt by a team under-achieving. And maybe if Pepsi Center still sold out games for a team that's dead last in the division, a little more respect might come our way.
Very inspiring Phish. You just said what I've been afraid to say for a while, that maybe it would be good for this team to go through a few losing seasons, to find out how many good fans we have. I know that I would still wear my Tanguay jersey, and probably under or over that, my Aebi and Svats signed jersey.

The fact is, I will never give up my passion for the Avs. Even if they are sold to another state, even when Sakic, and Hejduk, and all of the other favorites retire. I'll look forward to seeing the young prospects become great and eventually lift a cup.I'll still love the hits, the saves, the goals. I am not a bandwagoneer, and I would love to be surrounded by fans of the same sort.

-Adam

·
Premium Member
2,541 Posts
Phish4 said:
Ah, now you guys are starting to sound like Leaf fans. Just the fact that fans like you exist Phish already screams respect for Colorado. I have to tell you I never really considered Colorado a hockey place, but maybe this season will truely soilitfy that title for your state (Colorado is a state right? Denver's the city, or is it the other way around?)

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Yes, thanks, that means a lot coming from a Leafs fan. I do hope that most of the lightweight so so fans leave, to keep a good fan base.

·
Registered
115 Posts
MaCabe said:
Ah, now you guys are starting to sound like Leaf fans. Just the fact that fans like you exist Phish already screams respect for Colorado. I have to tell you I never really considered Colorado a hockey place, but maybe this season will truely soilitfy that title for your state (Colorado is a state right? Denver's the city, or is it the other way around?)
Haha you are right. Colorado is the state and Denver is the city.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Adama0905 said:
You guys honestly are some of the worst fans in the game. Except for Phish and myself, I don't think I have found any avs fan here who has had any post that said anything good about the Avs. God how I wish the Avs played in Canada or something, then maybe I might be surrounded by some real fans. I guess that's what I get for supporting a team that is in an area surrounded by a bunch of rich republicans. But whatever, I will support my team through thick and thin, and I'll rip apart anybody, if need be, if they go against my team. Especially if they are a so called Avs fan. Except maybe you hockey fans in Canada, cuz I love you guys.
-Adam
Dude, I live in Canada, and I'm a bigger fan then half the Aves fans in Denver. So why are you saying only You and Phish are true fans? I think you forgot to include me. And what about jopeke34? He lives in Denver, and his Avatar i sClavin pissing on a Detroit logo, I call that true fan base for me. And Jeikobu, I don't know much about him, but I think he'll come around start next season when we're kicking some frozen. :censure: :0pouce:

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
It's because there were no good posts about the Avs, you yourself had nothing good to say about the whole thing, and it was basically a generalization of all the Avs fans in Colorado.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
If you want me to say something good about you, you should post something optimistic and good about the Avs, instead of lingering on the bad trades.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
You know I believe I was the one who told people to look forward to next season and wait and see what happens before people can judge the Aves, way before you stopped adding: :)censure: Giguere) at the end of all your posts.

BTW: Don't get the wrong impression, I'm not insulting you, us Ave fans should stick together.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Yeah, I think that's the point that I, and many of the other fans on here are missing. We should stick together, and pick :censure: with the people that keep on insulting our team. They are just jealous because we have had way more success. Did you know that our team is hated so much among other fans, that some crazy ass fan created a web site specifically towards dissing us? I think it's called divealanche.com, and it is so horrible, and huge. And they edited a bunch of pictures that show things like Aebi letting in a beach ball, Sakic with really bad greased hair, stuff like that. It's really stupid, and I couldn't search it more, it was so bad.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Man you know what, we should create a site like tha about the Red Wings. That site is so stupid, I like the comics however, they show fear in there little boots. So much they have to insult Roy only like thirty times.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Yeah, your right. We come out eleven years ago, and already their quivering in there boots. :haha:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Crazy Roy Fan said:
Dude, I live in Canada, and I'm a bigger fan then half the Aves fans in Denver. So why are you saying only You and Phish are true fans? I think you forgot to include me. And what about jopeke34? He lives in Denver, and his Avatar i sClavin pissing on a Detroit logo, I call that true fan base for me. And Jeikobu, I don't know much about him, but I think he'll come around start next season when we're kicking some frozen. :censure: :0pouce:
Haha hell yea Im an Avs fan forever and thats never going to change. Im excited for this season. Like you guys say it will separate the true fans from the bandwagoners. Im glad to see loyal fans to the avs on this site. Its a nice change from all the mindless bandwagon zombie fans that live here. Well they arent all mindless but you kno what I mean:haha:

21 - 40 of 58 Posts