Hockey Fan Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,516 Posts
VICE™;591646 said:
Very nice Daryl, love the detail you've added in. Any insight on a list of non-Dynasty players?
Well, it would really be a matter of changing the quiz somewhat. If we're talking about non-dynasty guys, then we're looking for some different criteria, like the removal of Stanley Cup questions, etc.

Could easily be done, and it's nice to see that two of those players already cracked the top 10 on the much tougher quiz.

Daryl

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Well, it would really be a matter of changing the quiz somewhat. If we're talking about non-dynasty guys, then we're looking for some different criteria, like the removal of Stanley Cup questions, etc.

Could easily be done, and it's nice to see that two of those players already cracked the top 10 on the much tougher quiz.

Daryl
My list was pretty close to the one you made up, other then the order of coffy and Anderson and Dougie and Smyth weren't on mine.

·
Premium Member
3,516 Posts
My list was pretty close to the one you made up, other then the order of coffy and Anderson and Dougie and Smyth weren't on mine.
Let's face it: most top ten lists of this team are going to be similar. There are three distinct periods of this team's history:

a) 1st 10 years: Dominant team, a few truly great players, 5 Cups.
b) 2nd 10 years: rebuilding phase, two VERY good players, abysmal drafting.
c) 3rd 10 years: progressively bad club which has finally been forced to truly rebuild after bungled player acquisitions, salary cap mismanagement and poor asset management. The drafting is greatly improved compared to ten years ago, and a far sight better than most of the tenure of Barry "I don't watch hockey because I live in Mexico" Fraser.

So, out of that, any top ten list is going to be dominated by players who come from the era in which the club itself was dominant. Weight IS better than Tikkanen, and makes a Hall of Fame argument comparably cheesy to that of Bernie Federko.

As for Smyth, he sits in the top 10 of most Oilers offensive records despite playing for some bad teams, and playing in an offensive environment which was unfriendly compared to the 1980s.

Daryl

·
Premium Member
3,516 Posts
Alright, I took a list of all players who began their Oilers careers in 1991 or later (post-dynasty years) and ran them through a similar quiz. The quiz goes as follows:

1. Stats section
2. Award the player one point for each time he represented the Oilers at the All-Star Game.
3. Did the player ever finish in the top 10 for a major NHL Trophy?
4. Was he relied upon to kill penalties or be a strong defensive player?
5. Was his physical play/hitting a positive factor for the Oilers? Would he fight for his teammates?
6. Award one point for each time he was named to represent his country at the World Cup or Olympics?
7. Was he part of a Gold Medal winning team at the World Cup or Olympics?
8. Award one point for each time the player represented the Oilers at the World Hockey Championships.
9. Award one point for each NHL playoff series victory the player was part of as a top-6 forward/top-4 defenseman/starting goalie.
10. Was the player ever Oilers captain?
11. Award one point for each NHL playoff series victory the Oilers had while the player was team Captain.

The Top 10, then, according to the quiz.

1. Ryan Smyth
2. Dough Weight
3. Shawn Horcoff
4. Ales Hemsky
5. Jason Smyth
6. Todd Marchant
7. Steve Staios
8. Ethan Moreau
9. Eric Brewer
10. Jason Arnott

And, for fun, I'll use the quiz to make a full post-dynasty roster, by position. I'll build the roster according to skill set, and where a coach would like play these guys, and not quiz points...

Ryan Smyth - Doug Weight - Ales Hemsky
Shayne Corson - Shawn Horcoff - Bill Guerin
Dustin Penner - Jason Arnott - Mike Grier
Ethan Moreau - Todd Marchant - Fernando Pisani

Chris Pronger - Eric Brewer
Janne Niinimaa - Jason Smith
Boris Mironov - Steve Staios

Curtis Joseph
Dwayne Roloson

Pros
-Strong up the middle
-Good penalty killing forwards
-Chris Pronger

Cons
-Little secondary scoring
-Not much goaltending depth
-Shayne Corson

Daryl

·
Premium Member
3,520 Posts
Ryan Smyth - Doug Weight - Ales Hemsky
Shayne Corson - Shawn Horcoff - Bill Guerin
Dustin Penner - Jason Arnott - Mike Grier
Ethan Moreau - Todd Marchant - Fernando Pisani

Curtis Joseph
Dwayne Roloson

Pros
-Strong up the middle
-Good penalty killing forwards
-Chris Pronger

Cons
-Little secondary scoring
-Not much goaltending depth
-Shayne Corson

Daryl

Nice Line-up.

I would make a few tweeks to make it a champion though.

Ryan Smyth - Jason Arnott - Ales Hemsky
Dustin Penner - Doug Weight - Bill Guerin
Shayne Corson - Shawn Horcoff - Mike Grier
Ethan Moreau - Mike Peca - Todd Marchant

Curtis Joseph
Dwayne Roloson

Now that is a line-up that would wreak havoc in the West.

·
Premium Member
3,516 Posts
Nice Line-up.

I would make a few tweeks to make it a champion though.

Ryan Smyth - Jason Arnott - Ales Hemsky
Dustin Penner - Doug Weight - Bill Guerin
Shayne Corson - Shawn Horcoff - Mike Grier
Ethan Moreau - Mike Peca - Todd Marchant

Curtis Joseph
Dwayne Roloson

Now that is a line-up that would wreak havoc in the West.
Oh, there's no two ways about it: Michael Peca was a better player than Fernando Pisani. Pisani gets on the team over Peca simply by his tenure with the club. Peca only had one year as an Oiler, struggled quite badly with his offense, but did have a terrific playoff.

A checking line of Moreau-Peca-Marchant would be fairly insane. Tons of speed, faceoff ability, relentless forecheck, and hitting (between Peca and Moreau).

One thing where I'll have to disagree would be Arnott as 1C over Weight, but that's a niggling point.

Daryl

·
Premium Member
2,541 Posts
Oh, there's no two ways about it: Michael Peca was a better player than Fernando Pisani. Pisani gets on the team over Peca simply by his tenure with the club. Peca only had one year as an Oiler, struggled quite badly with his offense, but did have a terrific playoff.

A checking line of Moreau-Peca-Marchant would be fairly insane. Tons of speed, faceoff ability, relentless forecheck, and hitting (between Peca and Moreau).

One thing where I'll have to disagree would be Arnott as 1C over Weight, but that's a niggling point.

Daryl
One thing is for certain they are huge down the middle. Another thing is if each of these guys are in their prime, Peca knocking in 15-20 goals from a fourthline position and then shuting down opposition power plays? I mean him and Hasek alone took that style to the Stranely cup finals, add, Arrnot, Weight, Hemskyu, Penner, Pronger ect.. and you have a dynasty in the making.

·
Premium Member
3,520 Posts

Daryl
YA that 4th line got me all warm and fuzzy. :love:
So easy to picture them hemming in the Yzerman or Sakic line for and entire shift.

Ah the Arnott over Weight move....

Well it is really about creating two top lines. 1a and 1b. With Hemsky being such a dynamic playmaker he would be better served with two guys that can shoot. Same goes for Weight. He'll be likely more productive passing off to Guerin and Penner than he would be Smyth and Hemsky.

WHat a complete team. Looking at it again the Peca line should alomst be the #3 checking/shutdown line and Horcoffs line slides into the #4 slot.

·
Premium Member
3,516 Posts
YA that 4th line got me all warm and fuzzy. :love:
So easy to picture them hemming in the Yzerman or Sakic line for and entire shift.
Yeah, because THAT's what I saying...

For what it's worth, Marchant and Grier's job with the Oilers was to play against guys like Yzerman and Sakic. Did they hem them in for the entire shift? Obviously not; I don't think anybody would consider that to be the measure of success against players of that quality.

I'd never be able to find the quote now, but I remember Joe Sakic telling the media that, in his opinion, Todd Marchant was a great defensive centre; very tough to play against.

Ah the Arnott over Weight move....

Well it is really about creating two top lines. 1a and 1b. With Hemsky being such a dynamic playmaker he would be better served with two guys that can shoot. Same goes for Weight. He'll be likely more productive passing off to Guerin and Penner than he would be Smyth and Hemsky.
Fair enough. We already know that Weight worked very well with Smyth, but Hemsky also likes to carry the puck a lot, so he and Weight may clash a bit.

WHat a complete team. Looking at it again the Peca line should alomst be the #3 checking/shutdown line and Horcoffs line slides into the #4 slot.
Could live with that.

Daryl

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Comrie or Gagner over Arnnot? Or even Whitney? Whitney hasn't done a thing yet as an Oiler.
Even worst, someone like Comrie over Gretzky?

·
Premium Member
3,520 Posts
Yeah, because THAT's what I saying...

For what it's worth, Marchant and Grier's job with the Oilers was to play against guys like Yzerman and Sakic. Did they hem them in for the entire shift? Obviously not; I don't think anybody would consider that to be the measure of success against players of that quality.

I'd never be able to find the quote now, but I remember Joe Sakic telling the media that, in his opinion, Todd Marchant was a great defensive centre; very tough to play against.
Ya. Putting him and Peca together is a nightmare for the opposition and a good start towards the #1 PK unit in the league.

Fair enough. We already know that Weight worked very well with Smyth, but Hemsky also likes to carry the puck a lot, so he and Weight may clash a bit.
Hemsky Arnott and Penner would be a solid 2nd line, if you wanted to move Smyth with Weight and Guerin. Makes the line-up more top line heavy imo.

I dunno I just have a feeling about a big guy like Penner with Weight and Guerin. Either way is still effective.

·
Registered
9 Posts
-Kurri
-Gretzky
-Fuhr
-Messier
-Anderson
-Coffey
-Hamilton
-Weight
-Hemsky
-Peca

And in the future there will also be Eberle,Paajarvi and Omark =).

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
-Kurri
-Gretzky
-Fuhr
-Messier
-Anderson
-Coffey
-Hamilton
-Weight
-Hemsky
-Peca

And in the future there will also be Eberle,Paajarvi and Omark =).
Don't forget Hall :D

21 - 34 of 34 Posts