Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If we play more than 16 games in the playoffs (or don't win the Cup), it will be a disappointment.

·
HF-MOTM Winner - Apr 08
6,349 Posts
Unstoppable? How about when they play the Flyers...1-3 this year. That's leaning toward a first round departure if the standings stay the same to the end of the season.

One 11 game win streak does not give you a free pass to the Cup. There are three teams sitting above them in the league standings and that 11 game win streak is the only reason they're that high.

As much as the broadcasters and "analysts" love to deep throat the Penguins, they're not a lock for anything.

·
Registered
3 Posts
With the amount of parity that exists in the NHL today nobody is a "lock." However, if I had to put a bet down, I'd say the pens are elite in terms of being a odds on favorite. Go ask your bookie.

·
Premium Member
5,708 Posts
Look, I'm a diehard Pens fan since 5 BL. Anything can happen in the playoffs, no one is a lock. Yep, the Pens are healthy(at the moment) and playing well. But as investment advisors are apt to say, "prior results are not a guarentee of future returns".

Do they have a team that can go deep, sure. But one hot(or cold) goalie can shortcircuit a playoff run.

·
HF-MOTM Winner - Apr 08
6,349 Posts
With the amount of parity that exists in the NHL today nobody is a "lock." However, if I had to put a bet down, I'd say the pens are elite in terms of being a odds on favorite. Go ask your bookie.
Bookie's don't care who wins or loses...they work the line back and forth to make money no matter what.

I get what you're saying, and the Pens have been hot lately, but one 11-game win streak doesn't mean anything once everyone has completed the 82-game season.

Look at what most people were saying about the Bruins earlier in the year and what most were saying about the Rags up until a couple weeks ago.

Look, I'm a diehard Pens fan since 5 BL. Anything can happen in the playoffs, no one is a lock. Yep, the Pens are healthy(at the moment) and playing well. But as investment advisors are apt to say, "prior results are not a guarentee of future returns".

Do they have a team that can go deep, sure. But one hot(or cold) goalie can shortcircuit a playoff run.
Exactly my point. 11 straight wins means as much as a 1-3 record against the Flyers so far. It's all meaningless once the playoffs start.

I also think the "healthy" description of the team is accurate now, but also always on thin ice with Letang and Crosby's concussion issues and Geno's knees.

It's going to be interesting to see how long they stay healthy as Crosby and Letang seem to be pretty fragile right now.

A first round Flyers/Pens matchup would probably be insanely frustrating for Flyers fans. It would be a war and either team is capable of winning.

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
I seem to recall people saying the Boston Bruins were unstoppable earlier this season, and look where they are now. It seems like just about every top team in either conference has had stretches where they've looked great. The Pens are playing great right now, but that doesn't mean all that much once the playoffs start. I do think they have a really good chance at making a deep run though.

·
HF-MOTM Winner - Apr 08
6,349 Posts
No bookies don't care who wins, but when they make odds they are predicting who is more likely to win. And depending on how you're playing they predict how much that team will win by. Right now those bookies are predicting the pens will win. Hence the pens are the odds on favorite...

See: http://www.vegasinsider.com/nhl/odds/futures/
And they're wrong on a regular basis, too. I bet the odds weren't on the Sens tonight or the Flyers last week when they ended the Pens' win streak.

I seem to recall people saying the Boston Bruins were unstoppable earlier this season, and look where they are now. It seems like just about every top team in either conference has had stretches where they've looked great. The Pens are playing great right now, but that doesn't mean all that much once the playoffs start. I do think they have a really good chance at making a deep run though.
Yup...the Rags were already being handed the Cup a few weeks ago.

So did the Sens...8-4 tonight and the Pens didn't put up the slightest bit of fight over it either.

·
HF-MOTM Winner - Apr 08
6,349 Posts
Looking like another loss to a non-playoff team tonight down 1-4 to the Islanders about midway through the third.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
This is the second time they lost to the Islanders and they lost the last 3 out of their last 4 games, They lost to the Sens and then the Isles twice.

NOT A GOOD WAY TO HEAD INTO THE PLAYOFFS !!!!

They need a win streak starting with buffalo !!!

·
Premium Member
5,708 Posts
Hopefully they got it out of their system. They seem to be stepping up for better teams and taking it for granted for lesser teams. Tighten up the D, and start winning the low scoring games again.

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
Well, the Islanders can be a pain in the ass too. I know a few years ago the Devils had a 100+ point season, but they lost all but one or two games against the Islanders.

Still, I'm sure they don't want to go into what looks like an inevitable first round series against the Flyers playing like they have in recent games.

·
Premium Member
5,708 Posts
for whateer reason, the Isles have always played the Pens hard. The Isles have a young team, and can give anyone a hard time. Looking more and more like Pens/Flyers in the first round.

·
HF-MOTM Winner - Apr 08
6,349 Posts
Hopefully they got it out of their system. They seem to be stepping up for better teams and taking it for granted for lesser teams. Tighten up the D, and start winning the low scoring games again.
Didn't do well today after the first 5 minutes.

Well, the Islanders can be a pain in the ass too. I know a few years ago the Devils had a 100+ point season, but they lost all but one or two games against the Islanders.

Still, I'm sure they don't want to go into what looks like an inevitable first round series against the Flyers playing like they have in recent games.
Yeah...about that.

Flyers are 5-0 at the Consol Energy Center since it opened in 2010. Where are these Pens that were, at some point, described at "unstoppable?"

I thought they were going to pass the Rangers and win the East, maybe the President's Trophy...

2-4 over the last 6 and 4-4-1 since the Flyers ended their little streak.

·
Premium Member
5,708 Posts
Didn't do well today after the first 5 minutes.

Yeah...about that.

Flyers are 5-0 at the Consol Energy Center since it opened in 2010. Where are these Pens that were, at some point, described at "unstoppable?"

I thought they were going to pass the Rangers and win the East, maybe the President's Trophy...

2-4 over the last 6 and 4-4-1 since the Flyers ended their little streak.
Flyers certainly have the mojo in the Console Energy Center, that's for sure.

That Pen's team got to confused in regards to what decade they were in, and were trying to play too much 80's hockey in the high scoring days. They forgot about defense. Hopefully they crank it back down for the playoffs.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts