Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The home of the atlanta flames was the old omni coliseum. the arena opened
in 1972 and was home also to the NBA atlanta hawks from 1972-1997. the capacity for the omni was 15,278.one strange feature of the omni was its roof that looked like a egg crate.the omni was part of the omni complex which is now called the CNN center. it was torn down in 1997 to make way for the new philips arena the home of the atlanta thrashers.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I remember one game I saw from the Omni (Flames vs. Wings), that there were a few people waving confederate flags. Was that a normal thing that happened down there at the time?

·
Registered
2 Posts
ts8586 said:
I remember one game I saw from the Omni (Flames vs. Wings), that there were a few people waving confederate flags. Was that a normal thing that happened down there at the time?

Still is!

I got to see the 80 Olympic team play the "old" Soviet Army play atthe Omni. Still have the orignal logo off the olympic jersey and mininture hockey stick

·
Registered
3 Posts
Does anyone know IF they used the same concrete base for Phillips?
Comparing photos the arena floors seem to have the same position and orientation.

·
Registered
7 Posts
He was a friend of mine (Don Goodwin) confederate general costume and Confederate flag and he went to the Flames game after a Halloween costume party! It just kind of took off from there and had noting to do with racism or the Old SOuth! Not thst that would be a bad thing either! :beer

1 - 10 of 10 Posts