Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The home of the kansas city scouts was the new kemper arena.it was also home for the NBAs kansas city kings from 1974-1985. its capacity was 16,300. the kemper arena was home for the 1976 republican convention. the kemper still stands today but with on going talk of the national hockey leagues possible return to kansas city there has been talk of a new arena being built in kansas city in the near future.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Ground has already been broken on a new KC arena, to be called Sprint Center. It is a beautiful arena, which is partly managed by the same group that oversees Staples in LA. They have expressed great interest in bringing the NHL back to KC, with teams such as Pittsburgh, Carolina and Nashville being mentioned the most.

If Pittsburgh does not get a new arena in their city, expect them to become the KC Penguins!

·
Banned
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Kemper

Hkyfn said:
Ground has already been broken on a new KC arena, to be called Sprint Center. It is a beautiful arena, which is partly managed by the same group that oversees Staples in LA. They have expressed great interest in bringing the NHL back to KC, with teams such as Pittsburgh, Carolina and Nashville being mentioned the most.

If Pittsburgh does not get a new arena in their city, expect them to become the KC Penguins!
I really dont understand why they need a new arena in kansas city. the kemper arena is only 32 years old.

·
Registered
227 Posts
The new arena has many more private boxes, with better sightlines and amenities. The Sprint Center is part of a downtown KC revitilization plan that other cities have done with arenas and stadiums.

In arena years, 32 is very old! Personally, I like the old arenas such as Chicago Stadium (super place to watch a game) but the reality is that the revenues that a team can create w/o many private boxes is limited. That is why teams like Winnipeg, Hartford and Quebec all fled to new locales, with new arenas. It will happen to Pittsburgh if a new arena is not built there too.

·
Banned
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Scouts

Hkyfn said:

It would be great to see the Scouts back in the NHL. i say leave pittsburgh were they are and then move either nashville columbus, tampa to kansas city and then rename then the kansas city scouts.As far as the kemper arena 32 years old is not that bad but the NHL owners think that they i guess need someting more modern to make more money for them. Greedy.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Columbus or Tampa aren't going anywhere, they both sell out practically all their games, and have great lease arrangements with their respective arenas. In Tampa's case, the owner of the team also owns the St. Pete Times Forum, do you really think he would move to a new area that he doesn't own the arena? Not likely.

Nashville also seems on solid ground. They have a good solid base of fans, but the problem in Nashville is the corporate support that most teams feed off. While the music industry is huge in Nashville, it is still a relatively small city, albeit a beautiful city. No, I wouldn't bet on Nashville leaving anytime soon.

Pittsburgh is definitely a team that could move, and I also hope they stay put. But the situation is what it is. Lemieux realizes that the future of the team requires a better arena with more money making streams. Without that happening, they are as good as gone. That's just the bottom line, and from an owners standpoint, it isn't greed, it's common sense!

Other teams that IMO could be in trouble are NY Islanders, Edmonton and even St. Louis. I think we saw a great wave of expansion in the 1990's, but now with the new economics of the game, we might see a newer wave of team transfers. Only time will tell.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hkyfn said:
Columbus or Tampa aren't going anywhere, they both sell out practically all their games, and have great lease arrangements with their respective arenas. In Tampa's case, the owner of the team also owns the St. Pete Times Forum, do you really think he would move to a new area that he doesn't own the arena? Not likely.

Nashville also seems on solid ground. They have a good solid base of fans, but the problem in Nashville is the corporate support that most teams feed off. While the music industry is huge in Nashville, it is still a relatively small city, albeit a beautiful city. No, I wouldn't bet on Nashville leaving anytime soon.

Pittsburgh is definitely a team that could move, and I also hope they stay put. But the situation is what it is. Lemieux realizes that the future of the team requires a better arena with more money making streams. Without that happening, they are as good as gone. That's just the bottom line, and from an owners standpoint, it isn't greed, it's common sense!

Other teams that IMO could be in trouble are NY Islanders, Edmonton and even St. Louis. I think we saw a great wave of expansion in the 1990's, but now with the new economics of the game, we might see a newer wave of team transfers. Only time will tell.
Nashville has significant problems with corporate support and is a definite candidate to move. So also is Florida.

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
The top three to move are Pittsburgh, Nashville and Florida. Keep getting bad crowds in Phoenix and you can add them to the list. Last I heard the NHL wants to make it tough to move a franchise so they can make more money by selling another expansion franchise to Kansas City.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts