Hockey Fan Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Okay..I wasnt arguing whether Hamilton could support a team, I was stating that the majority of the fan base does not lie in Canada. Im not sure who youre even arguing with, because you certainly didnt address anything I said.

In youre last post you proved me right. They only make up 40%. So why are you still arguing?

6 teams out of 30. = 20% of the teams

So the Canadian teams are twice as profitable as the american teams. Say what you want about the fan base, but adding another Canadian team would up definitely up the revenue. In fact another team in the Toronto area would probably mean that 50% of the revenue would come from Canada. Although when you factor out the enormous amount of money that Nashville was losing that might even things out I guess.

·
Registered
20 Posts
am i the only one here who thinks that the preds should move to winnipeg?
they may lack the arena now, but in order to move the preds they will still have to stay in nashville another year anyways. winnipeg deserves the team more than any other city.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
According to a column in Metro (I don't remember who wrote it... Metro is a free commutor daily in Ottawa), Ballsillie was actually planning on naming the team the Hamilton Blackberries if this went through. *cringe*

·
Registered
237 Posts
Hopefully Jim "Blackberry" Balsillie renames them the "Tigers".

I think it's time to sack Bettman. His plan to move the NHL south, get a major US TV deal and bring hockey into the living rooms of Americans has proven to be a pipe dream. Sure there is die hard fans in the US, but the majority of the fan base lies in Canada.
In the southern states where there is barely ever ice it is hard to market this sport. There is never anywhere to play and If kids dont like the sport down there then there is no hope.

The hockey hotbeds for the States are NY,MINNESOTA,MICHGAN, you get my point, the states more close to Canada. I say keep the teams up here and soon well see 85% of the seats filled night in night out.

·
Premium Member
2,541 Posts
In the southern states where there is barely ever ice it is hard to market this sport. There is never anywhere to play and If kids dont like the sport down there then there is no hope.

The hockey hotbeds for the States are NY,MINNESOTA,MICHGAN, you get my point, the states more close to Canada. I say keep the teams up here and soon well see 85% of the seats filled night in night out.
the thing is you are exactly right, and what I dont understand is why we need the south anyways, 60% of Canada's and US' combined population is within 100ks of the Canada/US boarder. It's bad business to expand to the South unless we are certain that the game will catch on. But in the south there are growing markets like in Florida and California. But that I think has a lot to do with Canada's "snow birds" and retiring population that seems to migrate to those states during their older years or retirement.

·
Registered
26 Posts
ive benn hearing around here in Louisville Kentucky, the owner of our louisville fire arena football team is lookin to buy a share of the predators, keep them in the south, and get maybe an ahl or echl team back in louisville. and posiiblly like 10 or so reg season pred games here. thatd be cool. also heard another rumor (dont trust it...but anyways) that preds games could be split between nashville and louisville and the team would just be The Ville Predators.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts