Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard on the Team 1040 in Vancouver that the Nashville Predators could be moving to Hamilton,Ontario. Apparently businessman Jim Ballsillie has struck a deal with Copps Coliseum in Hamilton to move the team there as early as next season. The deal will be contigent on the NHL board of directors approving the sale.

I always hate seeing teams move, but having a team go from a terrible market to a potentially strong market can only be a good thing for the league. Hamilton would have a pasiion for the team and it will be better off in a Canadian market.

·
Premium Member
3,516 Posts
If they move to Hamilton, I like the idea of them going with the Tigers, as the NHL team in that city was called so many years ago.

Daryl

(edited so that it would make sense)

·
Premium Member
3,516 Posts
the only problem with that idea is it would be too close to Tiger-Cats, as the CFL team is known as.
That's a very good point, and one which hadn't even entered my head.

When the Bulldogs moved to Hamilton, they took the name of the local football team, which was something not too uncommon in those days. The hockey club folded after about 5 years. Then, after WW2, the football named themselves to Tiger-Cats when they restarted operations.

So... Maybe the Ti-Cats should go back to Tigers, and Balsillie can name his team the Tiger-Cats. ;)

Daryl

·
Premium Member
2,728 Posts
This is the first of a few that will move north in the next ten years.

Aaa yes....the wrongs shall be righted but only when the Jet's and Nords are at home where they belong.

RB

·
Registered
390 Posts
Hopefully Jim "Blackberry" Balsillie renames them the "Tigers".

I think it's time to sack Bettman. His plan to move the NHL south, get a major US TV deal and bring hockey into the living rooms of Americans has proven to be a pipe dream. Sure there is die hard fans in the US, but the majority of the fan base lies in Canada.

·
Registered
50 Posts
This just makes me mad. There are so many other possible areas where the Predators could move. Hamilton is surrounded by Ottawa, Toronto, and Detroit. Move them somewhere else.

·
Registered
390 Posts
This just makes me mad. There are so many other possible areas where the Predators could move. Hamilton is surrounded by Ottawa, Toronto, and Detroit. Move them somewhere else.
Where? Kansas City? Las Vegas? It only makes sense to put the teams where the fans are.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Hopefully Jim "Blackberry" Balsillie renames them the "Tigers".

I think it's time to sack Bettman. His plan to move the NHL south, get a major US TV deal and bring hockey into the living rooms of Americans has proven to be a pipe dream. Sure there is die hard fans in the US, but the majority of the fan base lies in Canada.
Well actually the majority of the fan base lies in the US...I mean, California has a bigger population by itself than Canada, so we obviously would have the bigger fan base.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Well actually the majority of the fan base lies in the US...I mean, California has a bigger population by itself than Canada, so we obviously would have the bigger fan base.
Population does not equal fan base.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
I didnt say population equals fan base, but by far the US has the bigger fan base. We have most of the teams. Sorry but a country with 30 million people cant equal a country wit 300 million people.
Have you seen the league revenue generation?

That being said, about 40 per cent of the NHL's revenue comes from Canada
This guy says 40% http://blogto.com/sports_play/2007/06/the_hamilton_predators/

But at one point I heard 2/3ds

Either a disproportionate amount of revenue is coming from Canada. Beyond that if you put another team in Toronto (you can call it Hamilton if you want), you put another team in the most profitable hockey market in the world. It is also the 4th biggest city in North America, and 2 of the bigger cities (NY and LA) already both have more than 1 team.

You can say what you want about fan base, but if you want to look into passionate fan base, Canada wins hands down, beyond that Toronto as a city destroys all other fans.

Hamilton could easily support a team.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Have you seen the league revenue generation?

This guy says 40% http://blogto.com/sports_play/2007/06/the_hamilton_predators/

But at one point I heard 2/3ds
Well you just helped my argument...if its only 40%, its not most.

Either a disproportionate amount of revenue is coming from Canada. Beyond that if you put another team in Toronto (you can call it Hamilton if you want), you put another team in the most profitable hockey market in the world. It is also the 4th biggest city in North America, and 2 of the bigger cities (NY and LA) already both have more than 1 team.

You can say what you want about fan base, but if you want to look into passionate fan base, Canada wins hands down, beyond that Toronto as a city destroys all other fans.

Hamilton could easily support a team.
And this is why people call Toronto fans arrogant...

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Keep the context in mind. All he was saying is that Toronto's fan base is by far the largest and most profitable. That's not arrogance, that's a statement of fact.
It had nothing to do with anything. And he didnt say "largest and most profitable", he siad "destroys all other fans".

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
And this is why people call Toronto fans arrogant...
Arrogant?

They sold out games through the Ballord era, that alone destroys all other city's fans.

They are passionate if nothing else. Hell, as reported in the main forum, Hamilton already has a larger season ticket base than Nashville FOR A TEAM THAT DOESN'T EXIST!

The Leafs are potentially the worst run organization in the league, but the city has the best fans, and perenially makes the team the most profitable. Minnesota is pretty rabid about their hockey team too, but not to Toronto levels.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Now if the team were to move to Hamilton wouldn't M.L.S.E have to reach an agreement with the league or something for Invading its territory? There is no doubt that this can be done but just a Question.

If you have ever tried to get tickets to a Leafs game and not be a season seat holder, then you know how amazing this fan base is.
I live in Hamilton but ill stay loyal to my Blue and white although ill admit ill watch a few more Preds games this year.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Arrogant?

They sold out games through the Ballord era, that alone destroys all other city's fans.

They are passionate if nothing else. Hell, as reported in the main forum, Hamilton already has a larger season ticket base than Nashville FOR A TEAM THAT DOESN'T EXIST!

The Leafs are potentially the worst run organization in the league, but the city has the best fans, and perenially makes the team the most profitable. Minnesota is pretty rabid about their hockey team too, but not to Toronto levels.
Okay..I wasnt arguing whether Hamilton could support a team, I was stating that the majority of the fan base does not lie in Canada. Im not sure who youre even arguing with, because you certainly didnt address anything I said.

In youre last post you proved me right. They only make up 40%. So why are you still arguing?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts