Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ron Wilson wasn't wrong in keeping him out of the lineup, but to have the guy find out via an internet video is pretty garbage. Also, why would Wilson announce this yesterday? Now it will be made into a major deal. If Wilson would have just waited until friday night, there would be no story.

As for the d core. The reason Franson sat is because they needed to make sure Gardiner can play, because if he can, Gunnerson is gone in a trade. Trading a defenceman means that they will have to have quality waiting in the wings in case of injury. Post trade I do believe it looks something like this:

Phaneuf/Liles
Schenn/Franson
Komisarek/Gardiner

Aulie/Lashoff/Blacker

It also allowed Franson some time to get used to the new system this week. They are showcasing for a centre I would bet my butt on it. Fronson's the real deal, he'll stay playing after saturday.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Ron Wilson wasn't wrong in keeping him out of the lineup, but to have the guy find out via an internet video is pretty garbage. Also, why would Wilson announce this yesterday? Now it will be made into a major deal. If Wilson would have just waited until friday night, there would be no story.

As for the d core. The reason Franson sat is because they needed to make sure Gardiner can play, because if he can, Gunnerson is gone in a trade. Trading a defenceman means that they will have to have quality waiting in the wings in case of injury. Post trade I do believe it looks something like this:

Phaneuf/Liles
Schenn/Franson
Komisarek/Gardiner

Aulie/Lashoff/Blacker

It also allowed Franson some time to get used to the new system this week. They are showcasing for a centre I would bet my butt on it. Fronson's the real deal, he'll stay playing after saturday.
First off, if Franson is playing then it's not with Schenn. Both play the right side. I don't think you are putting Franson on the left on the 2nd pairing if he's never played the left side before.

Second off, Gardiner has not impressed thus far in the regular season. Not to say he is playing poorly but it looks like he would benefit from a little more time in the AHL. Getting top pairing minutes and being put in all situations.

Third off, why is everyone saying Gunnar is gone? He is a good second pairing guy who makes smart plays and plays a solid two way game. Sure he could be a little more physical but he plays solidly. I wouldn't want him gone unless we are getting overpaid. I still think he has a little more to his game he can develop. i see him becoming a #3 guy who can put up 40-45 points a season.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First off, if Franson is playing then it's not with Schenn. Both play the right side. I don't think you are putting Franson on the left on the 2nd pairing if he's never played the left side before.

Second off, Gardiner has not impressed thus far in the regular season. Not to say he is playing poorly but it looks like he would benefit from a little more time in the AHL. Getting top pairing minutes and being put in all situations.

Third off, why is everyone saying Gunnar is gone? He is a good second pairing guy who makes smart plays and plays a solid two way game. Sure he could be a little more physical but he plays solidly. I wouldn't want him gone unless we are getting overpaid. I still think he has a little more to his game he can develop. i see him becoming a #3 guy who can put up 40-45 points a season.
I believe that's why franson was on the left during pre-season, they were trying it out. As far as gunner, he's fine, but I'm trying to piece together why Franson would sit at all, especially for a 21 year old who as you said, needs seasoning, thats why i smell a trade, they have to be showcasing. The pairings are always changing in leaf land, that was more of a offensive minded with defense first type pairings wilson seems to like. Plus with Aulie waiting, Gunnerson's the only moveable part, unless komi goes but who'd take him? Gunnerson might package for a forward.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
I believe that's why franson was on the left during pre-season, they were trying it out. As far as gunner, he's fine, but I'm trying to piece together why Franson would sit at all, especially for a 21 year old who as you said, needs seasoning, thats why i smell a trade, they have to be showcasing. The pairings are always changing in leaf land, that was more of a offensive minded with defense first type pairings wilson seems to like. Plus with Aulie waiting, Gunnerson's the only moveable part, unless komi goes but who'd take him? Gunnerson might package for a forward.
Well that is the thing. They tried it in the pre season and it's still experimental at this point. If anything he will be on the third pairing with Komi causing Wilson to sit Gardiner. I don't think Gunnarson is going anywhere though. He has a poise that not many of our D Man do. If he could work on being more aggressive in front of our net he would be a perfect two way defense man. Solid in both ends, although not being to physical. Plays a calm & smart game. I guess you could say he'd be a "jack of all trades, master of none" Just no overall weaknesses but no overall strengths as well.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gunnerson to me will end up being slightly less offensive as kaberle (stats wise) but will be more responsible in his own end, but he is fairly non-physical - not a typical Burke type player.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Gunnerson to me will end up being slightly less offensive as kaberle (stats wise) but will be more responsible in his own end, but he is fairly non-physical - not a typical Burke type player.
Kessel isn't a typical Burke type player. How often does he hit? Grabovski isn't a typical Burke type player. A team needs balance in it's d Corps and having Gunnarson who plays a solid game without throwing the big hits is a plus. Means he nvr steps out of position to make a huge hit.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, as soon as Gunnerson can score 30 plus goals in a season he can go ahead and not hit.

All I'm saying is as a defenseman, if you have guys that can pass, get some points and be physical, thats what you need, hence guys like phaneuf, hopefully schenn, and franson. Liles is pretty non physical so how many of those type guys can a contending team have on the back end? Boston had 1, and he played 13 minutes a game (you know who i mean).

I think you may be misinterpreting me, I like Gunnerson, but who else could they trade realistically?

PS - Franson was on the left side last night playing with Schenn.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Well, as soon as Gunnerson can score 30 plus goals in a season he can go ahead and not hit.

All I'm saying is as a defenseman, if you have guys that can pass, get some points and be physical, thats what you need, hence guys like phaneuf, hopefully schenn, and franson. Liles is pretty non physical so how many of those type guys can a contending team have on the back end? Boston had 1, and he played 13 minutes a game (you know who i mean).

I think you may be misinterpreting me, I like Gunnerson, but who else could they trade realistically?

PS - Franson was on the left side last night playing with Schenn.
He was with Komi most of the game on the third pairing ... Schenn got bumped down last night to the third pairing. He had a bad game. Franson was moved up he wasn't with Schenn ... Maybe for one or two shifts but he wasn't there the whole game.

He can put up 5 goals and 30 assists as a D Man. That's pretty good for a guy that is also responsible in his own end. btw Franson isn't physical ... He's 6'5 but he doesn't hit to much and plays more of a finesse game. I watched him a bit in Nashville and i don't remember him hitting anyone. (Note i only watched about 15 games).

·
Premium Member
3,520 Posts
He was with Komi most of the game on the third pairing ... Schenn got bumped down last night to the third pairing. He had a bad game. Franson was moved up he wasn't with Schenn ... Maybe for one or two shifts but he wasn't there the whole game.

He can put up 5 goals and 30 assists as a D Man. That's pretty good for a guy that is also responsible in his own end. btw Franson isn't physical ... He's 6'5 but he doesn't hit to much and plays more of a finesse game. I watched him a bit in Nashville and i don't remember him hitting anyone. (Note i only watched about 15 games).
What are we to do? Too many NHL D-man on the payroll. That's terrible.

Since Komi has a big contract Gunner is most likely to go. However I think he is more valuable to the Leafs than anything they could get in return.

Franson is caught in a numbers game.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The way Franson was talking I thought he was going to play more physical - in front especially, but he's pretty much been waving the stick the last couple. He would get bounced for sure if thats the case because in all other aspects Gunner does look better. Really I don't see a really good top 6 coming for either of those guys though, not that they necessarily need one right now anyway.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts