Hockey Fan Forums banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
Hmmm...I actually don't mind the idea of splitting up Pandolfo and Madden. Yes, they are good together, but Sutter has already said that the checking line is overrated, which suggests to me that the shutdown line might not be as prominent a fixture this year as it has been the last couple years.

I like Sutter's attitude this offseason. The Devils have gotten too predictable since the lockout, and Sutter is changing things up. He had a quote in an article the other day that I loved.

"You don't adjust to other teams. You make them adjust to you."

The Devils have tried the match the checking line to the other team's offensive line, play conservative defense, and hope Marty saves our ass game for the last two years and it's time to change that. The Devils were successful playing a defense-first approach when they had guys like Stevens, Niedermayer, and Rafalski patrolling the blueline, but they're not there anymore. The defense used to be a strength of the Devils, but now the forwards are more of a strength. Sutter looks like he's going with a more aggressive forecheck, with balanced lines that can take some of the pressure off the defensemen. The Devils aren't by any means going to turn into a run-and-gun team, but I think they will be a bit more offense minded this year.

I can't wait for the season to start to see how this team plays.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
737 Posts
MadDevil said:
Hmmm...I actually don't mind the idea of splitting up Pandolfo and Madden. Yes, they are good together, but Sutter has already said that the checking line is overrated, which suggests to me that the shutdown line might not be as prominent a fixture this year as it has been the last couple years.

I like Sutter's attitude this offseason. The Devils have gotten too predictable since the lockout, and Sutter is changing things up. He had a quote in an article the other day that I loved.

"You don't adjust to other teams. You make them adjust to you."

The Devils have tried the match the checking line to the other team's offensive line, play conservative defense, and hope Marty saves our ass game for the last two years and it's time to change that. The Devils were successful playing a defense-first approach when they had guys like Stevens, Niedermayer, and Rafalski patrolling the blueline, but they're not there anymore. The defense used to be a strength of the Devils, but now the forwards are more of a strength. Sutter looks like he's going with a more aggressive forecheck, with balanced lines that can take some of the pressure off the defensemen. The Devils aren't by any means going to turn into a run-and-gun team, but I think they will be a bit more offense minded this year.

I can't wait for the season to start to see how this team plays.:thumbsup:
The only thing that worries me is that the players we have were mostly brought in because the fit the style the devils played for years...I do like sutters approach but its hard to change a players style and approach to the game in 4 short months.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts