Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Q: What is a Donut line?

A: A line with a hole in the center.

That's the state of the Devils 1st Line with the loss of Scott Gomez.
While it's true that Danius Zubrus has had a season high milestone comparable to Gomez's point production, Zubrus doesn't have the coast-to-coast skating ability and playmaking that Gomez did.
I think Zubrus is a top winger, not a top centerman, so I'd like to see him moved to either wing as needed since he can play either side. He is so much more valuable as winger for this reason.
The big question is who are the Devils going to fill that hole with? A break-up of PZL line might be unfortunately necessary to furnish a bona fide center to Elias and Gionta.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Keep Zubrus on the first line..for the most part they have been productive during the pre-season. I think Zubrus adds what the Devils were missing dearly on that line. SIZE! that line got pushed around so much last year it wasnt funny. Zubrus can make up for the loss of Gomer and if needed Gio is elusive enough to break through the zone...If patty tries to be a little less flashy this year and settles for some garbage chances the line will produce more this yr than they ever did with gomez.

Also with Jamie out i really hope we get to see Bergfors on that 2nd line with Zach and Travis.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Keep Zubrus on the first line..for the most part they have been productive during the pre-season. I think Zubrus adds what the Devils were missing dearly on that line. SIZE! that line got pushed around so much last year it wasnt funny.
Fine he can play RW on the 1st line, but not as a center, see?
That works well because I would play Gionta on the Madden line to give it a big offensive weapon that would keep opposing lines from fore-checking so deep.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Moving Gio to the 3rd line is flat out stupid. You keep your best players with your best players. Gio is a scorer the Madden line is a checking line regardless of what Sutter does to the team they will always have that defensive premise. Plus if you move Gio to the 3rd line..like i said..defensive who is gonna feed him the puck to get back up to 60+ points.

Here are my O lines hopefully for opening night.

Elias-Zubrus-Gionta
Parise-Zajac-Bergfors
Pandolfo-Madden-Asham
Brylin-Rupp-Clarkson

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
Hello ungar...I mean lingus. I'll try not to be "communist or small-minded" this time and give you a chance. Try not to blow it.;)

As for the actual subject, I think give Zubrus a realistic chance to center the top line, and if he looks bad, then move things around a bit. The problem is the Devils have a lot of guys who can play right wing, but not as many who can play elsewhere. Zubrus, Gionta, Clarkson, Langenbrunner, Bergfors, Asham, and your favorite player Janssen can all play the right side, but how many can effectively play either center or the left wing?

Ideally, the Devils should keep Parise on the left side, because it gives them a strong lineup on that side with Elias, Parise, and Pandolfo on the top three lines. Gionta, Clarkson, Langenbrunner (when he comes back) is a strong right side. So the question is who can play center now, and who gets moved where when Langenbrunner comes back?

Here's hoping Zubrus shows he's capable of being a #1 center...

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
NJDEVIL30274 said:
Moving Gio to the 3rd line is flat out stupid. You keep your best players with your best players. Gio is a scorer the Madden line is a checking line regardless of what Sutter does to the team they will always have that defensive premise. Plus if you move Gio to the 3rd line..like i said..defensive who is gonna feed him the puck to get back up to 60+ points.
I hate to agree with ungar/lingus here, but I kind of see where he's coming from with the Gionta idea. Pandolfo and Madden actually create some solid scoring chances off their hard work. The problem is that neither one of them can hit the broad side of a barn with their shot. Putting somebody with some finishing ability on that line might actually produce some more goals from the third line. The only problem is, who do you play on the top line in Gionta's position? Zubrus? Clarkson? Bergfors?

·
Registered
737 Posts
Zubrus proved he could feed the puck in washington and proved it again during the playoffs with buffalo..i really think taking him off the first line would hurt more than it could help..also with Zubrus being so big it will take some pressure off gio from always standing infront of the net in turn giving him some more freedom in the zone.

I dont buy Gio playing the 3rd line at all. If you want a extra 8-10 goals from that line well..thats the reason we picked up asham

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
NJDEVIL30274 said:
Zubrus proved he could feed the puck in washington and proved it again during the playoffs with buffalo..i really think taking him off the first line would hurt more than it could help..also with Zubrus being so big it will take some pressure off gio from always standing infront of the net in turn giving him some more freedom in the zone.

I dont buy Gio playing the 3rd line at all. If you want a extra 8-10 goals from that line well..thats the reason we picked up asham
As much as having two very good offensive lines is, it's actually been part of the problem recently. If those lines are contained or have an off game, the Devils more than likely lose or Marty has to play insanely to get them a point. Why not mix it up once in a while? I wouldn't move Gionta to the third line permanently, but maybe try it once in a while.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I think Sutters system will help the goals come up anyway. We know the first 2 lines can score and will score..I really think Pando-Madden and Asham can produce and the 4th line if it features Brylin and Clarkson like i think it will should produce aswell....I dont think u can go into the season with all new lines players need some fimilairty going into opening night..if the devils are near the bottom of the goal count 1/4 of the way in then sure try somethings but dont mess up a good thing from the start

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
NJDEVIL30274 said:
I think Sutters system will help the goals come up anyway. We know the first 2 lines can score and will score..I really think Pando-Madden and Asham can produce and the 4th line if it features Brylin and Clarkson like i think it will should produce aswell....I dont think u can go into the season with all new lines players need some fimilairty going into opening night..if the devils are near the bottom of the goal count 1/4 of the way in then sure try somethings but dont mess up a good thing from the start
Well, the Devils had two lines that could score last year, and they still got dominated by the Sens in the playoffs. Part of that was an over-reliance on matching lines, which it sounds like Sutter won't be doing, but it wouldn't hurt to move some guys around some. With Langenbrunner being out, it kind of screws up the lineup anyway, so now might be the time for some tinkering. Regardless, it'll be interesting to see what kind of combinations Sutter comes up with...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Elias-Zubrus-Gionta
Parise-Zajac-Bergfors
Pandolfo-Madden-Asham
Brylin-Rupp-Clarkson
Let me first say that while I think Zubrus is better as a LW or RW, he can play Center better than say---Mike Rupp?
Call me stupid again, but you'd rather have Rupp center the 4th line than Brylin? I hate to tell you this, Rupp doesn't even belong in this league, the only reason he is here is because Lamoriello has a weakness for big guys that can't score.
Now, as for Bergfors, I really wish he was ready for the NHL because we need him, but he isn't yet. However, I'd rather have him called-up than Rupp or Janssen, who should be sent down permanently.
I hate the idea of Asham on the 3rd line, Asham isn't going to score any more goals than Brylin did. I'm against any line combination that doesn't have the ability to consistantly score. Also, having Gionta here would keep the opposition from over-committing on the attack, which helps our shutdown line, see? The Madden line was best when Langenbrunner was on it, in order to have that kind of production again, we need a goal scorer here.
I thought Asham was supposed to be a competent centerman, why can't he center the 4th line?
Brylin Asham Clarkson
Of course, if Asham really isn't good at center, you could always put Brylin there to avoid having another Donut Line.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The problem is the Devils have a lot of guys who can play right wing, but not as many who can play elsewhere. ... how many can effectively play either center or the left wing?
Zubrus is a natural LW, he was converted to the off-wing.

·
Registered
737 Posts
You put Asham on the 3rd line because he is good for atleast 20-25 points same with Madden and Pandolfo..Moving Brylin to the 4th line with help productivity that our fourth line hasnt had in years. Sarge knows his role he goes where he's needed and he enjoys his spot on the devils im sure he wouldnt mind. If the Madden line is to stay a checking line Asham makes more sense then Sarge he's bigger and can throw the body alot more and alot harder.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ideally, the Devils should keep Parise on the left side, because it gives them a strong lineup on that side with Elias, Parise, and Pandolfo on the top three lines.
I'd like to see if Parise can be possibly converted to a center. Then you could flip-flop Zubrus into his spot and we could have a true #1 Center.
Zubrus would be great on the LW, because that is the best position to defend against opposing RW's.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just read that Brent Sutter may be going into the regular season with the following lines:

Elias Zubrus Bergfors

Parise Zajac Gionta

Madden Pelley Asham

Pando Brylin Clarkson

I seriously doubt this is true, but just a heads up.

·
Registered
737 Posts
lingus said:
I just read that Brent Sutter may be going into the regular season with the following lines:

Elias Zubrus Bergfors

Parise Zajac Gionta

Madden Pelley Asham

Pando Brylin Clarkson

I seriously doubt this is true, but just a heads up.
not saying your liar but, source?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
By Tom Gulitti

The Devils had some interesting line combinations for this morning's practice. Head coach Brent Sutter had rookie Nicklas Bergfors in Brian Gionta's usual spot at right wing on the top line with Patrik Elias and Dainius Zubrus. Gionta moved to the second line with Zach Parise and Travis Zajac, filling the spot where the injured Jamie Langenbrunner used to skate.

Also notable was Sutter's use of center John Madden at left wing on the third line with rookie Rod Pelley at center and Arron Asham on the right side. Madden's longtime linemate, left wing Jay Pandolfo, was moved to the fourth line with Sergei Brylin at center and Mike Rupp and David Clarkson alternating at the other wing.

Madden scored two goals skating on the left wing in Wednesday's 6-1 preseason win over the Islanders and Sutter indicated that splitting Madden and Pandolfo was more than just an experiment.
OK, this might be true for the start of the new season.

·
Registered
737 Posts
lingus said:
OK, this might be true for the start of the new season.
*Shudders* not saying its a bad thing..i'm just not one for change lol..Madden and Pando go together...if it helps the team...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts