Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sick and tired of people referring the Canucks defence as one of the best in the NHL. They are good, but there are a handful(about 7 or 8 ) of teams that are better. Ohlund and Jovanovski are good, but after that it get's pretty sad. Salo is alright, but his tendecies to shy away physically, esp. in playoff games is no good. Sopel is a liability in his end, judging by his lousy +/-. Malik??? Good 5th to 6th for the Canucks, but would be in the minors on many other teams. Allen??? That cripple??? Slegr??? Maybe 5 years ago. Baumgartner??? Need I say more!!!
They have a good defense, but nothing to get excited about, especially when your goalie is not bailing them out as much as he should be!!!

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Craven Morehead said:
I'm sick and tired of people referring the Canucks defence as one of the best in the NHL. They are good, but there are a handful(about 7 or 8 ) of teams that are better. Ohlund and Jovanovski are good, but after that it get's pretty sad. Salo is alright, but his tendecies to shy away physically, esp. in playoff games is no good. Sopel is a liability in his end, judging by his lousy +/-. Malik??? Good 5th to 6th for the Canucks, but would be in the minors on many other teams. Allen??? That cripple??? Slegr??? Maybe 5 years ago. Baumgartner??? Need I say more!!!
They have a good defense, but nothing to get excited about, especially when your goalie is not bailing them out as much as he should be!!!
wellllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll...

ummmmmmmmmmmm...

overrated? i dunno...we may not have the best defense in the league...matter of fact, we're really no where close to it.

but i do think that we have a very decent and pretty young lineup. there's lots of room for development in the younger guys. i've got lots of faith in allen. he needs to have more confidence in himself and more consistent ice time.

now...here's to hoping that sopel doesn't pull too many "sopels" this season. and GET A HAIRCUT!

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Seeing as how I can't call anyone a "doodiehead" or talk about their mother in a less than flattering way, I guess I will have to answer this thread with a civilized answer.

As a long time Canuck fan, I have seen the ups and downs of the Canucks. Focusing on the defense, I would say that the current group of Canuck defense are some of the best in recent years but I have never said anywhere on any board or conversation that the current Canuck defense is at the top of the league. That would be a bold faced lie and I would have to be delusional to make that statement.

I will agree that the defense is in the top 10 or 15 and would improve if:
1) Sopel became stronger in his own end.
2) The defensemen were faster. The Wild skated circles around many of the Canuck defensemen in last season's playoffs.
3) Burke didn't sign injury prone players like Slegr.

Seeing as how we're supposed to talk trash, the Sens defensemen aren't good enough to play in a women's league, so there. (Iced Tea sticks out his tongue)

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
matt_cooke_fan said:
Teams would die to have players such as Slegr, Allen and Baumgartner on their roster and the Canucks don't even need them in their lineup.
Really??? Nobody even signed Slegr last year, so it would appear his value is sky high :roll: . Allen is a pencil on the ice and Baumgartner is clearly a first round bust. Oh yeah, players that teams are dying to have!!! If a good deal came along, the Canucks would dump all three in a heartbeat!!!

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Iced Tea said:
Seeing as how I can't call anyone a "doodiehead" or talk about their mother in a less than flattering way, I guess I will have to answer this thread with a civilized answer.

As a long time Canuck fan, I have seen the ups and downs of the Canucks. Focusing on the defense, I would say that the current group of Canuck defense are some of the best in recent years but I have never said anywhere on any board or conversation that the current Canuck defense is at the top of the league. That would be a bold faced lie and I would have to be delusional to make that statement.

2) The defensemen were faster. The Wild skated circles around many of the Canuck defensemen in last season's playoffs.

Seeing as how we're supposed to talk trash, the Sens defensemen aren't good enough to play in a women's league, so there. (Iced Tea sticks out his tongue)
Who said anything about the Senators??? Please, comparing the Canucks defense with Ottawa's isn't funny. Ottawa has a better defense, case closed. They are faster, bigger and more mobile, not to mention, plainly more talented, but let's break it down:

Redden versus Jovanovski-I'd say this is pretty even here. Redden is a smarter player with the puck and has a good shot. Jovanovski is a big hitting defensemen with more offence then Redden. Really this is a toss-up here!!!

Chara versus Ohlund-IMO, I think Chara is the better player here. They are even in every category except physical play, which is the knock on Ohlund, especially in his own end. Chara is not afraid to throw his weight around and for this reason is more beneficial then Ohlund

Phillips versus Sopel-Sadly, Sopel has to be ranked as your 3rd defenseman. Phillips does not have as much offensive flair as Sopel, but he getting better. However, Phillips is turning into a playoff performer and tank on the Ottawa blueline. Sopel's +/- is awful and he doesn't even play on the Canucks PK unit, which is almost unheard of for a number 3 defenseman. Phillips by a landlside!!!

Salo versus Rachunek-Salo had a great season after leaving Ottawa, maybe even a career year. Rachunek had a decent season after his hold-out. Salo has all the tools, but its the same-old story with a Canucks defenseman with a lack in physical play. Rachunek makes questionable defensive lapses at times, but his passes are Zubov like and he is turning into an excellent penalty killer. Great shot blocker. Salo has one of the hardest shots. rachunek and Salo are pretty much even, but i'd give the edge to Rachunek being 7 years younger. Salo is in his prime, whereas the best is yet to come for Rachunek.

Leschyshyn versus Malik-The Canucks have the edge here for sure. Leschyshyn is still reliable, but his leadership qualities are more prudent here. Malik is a force back there with some surprising offensive skills. Malik for sure here

Volchenkov versus Allen-This is really sad. Allen has had some injury issues over the years and his progress is taking a while. He looks bad out there on the ice. Volchenkov had a good rookie year and has already established himself as one of the best hitters in the NHL. Volchenkov has All-Star written all over him. Volchenkov by a mile!!!

Extra's-Hnidy and Pothier versus Slegr and Baumgartner-Hnidy is tough, but expendable. Pothier would be a top 6 guy on about 15-20 teams, but is stuck behind because of Ottawa's depth. Slegr was a good pick-up for depth if someone falls for the Canucks. Baumgartner is never going to amount to anything!!! This is even!!!

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Craven Morehead said:
matt_cooke_fan said:
Teams would die to have players such as Slegr, Allen and Baumgartner on their roster and the Canucks don't even need them in their lineup.
Really??? Nobody even signed Slegr last year, so it would appear his value is sky high :roll: . Allen is a pencil on the ice and Baumgartner is clearly a first round bust. Oh yeah, players that teams are dying to have!!! If a good deal came along, the Canucks would dump all three in a heartbeat!!!
Let's not be so sarcastic..

So you're saying teams like Nashville or Atlanta wouldn't want these players? How about Florida or Columbus? Their defense is horrible, Allen is better than most of their supposed "promising" defense. Baumgartner can play a 5-6 defenseman on most teams in the NHL, he just hasn't had his big break.

·
Premium Member
13,305 Posts
matt_cooke_fan said:
Craven Morehead said:
matt_cooke_fan said:
I disagree Slegr and Baumgartner would be hard pressed to catch on with most other teams as there just not that good,infact one could quite easily argue they are plain awfull.Allen on the other hand seems to be developing nicely and would be a good addition to most teams blue line.

Let's not be so sarcastic..

So you're saying teams like Nashville or Atlanta wouldn't want these players? How about Florida or Columbus? Their defense is horrible, Allen is better than most of their supposed "promising" defense. Baumgartner can play a 5-6 defenseman on most teams in the NHL, he just hasn't had his big break.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Iced Tea said:

mr. lipton; my mom is 76 and let me tell you that you wouldn't be able to talk about her in a less than flattering way.

but sadly enough, she wouldn't do very well in a woman's league either.

one more thing...while i agree whole heartedly that sopel needs to be stronger in his own end, he also needs a haircut badly...

8) 8) 8)

·
Registered
5,043 Posts
Ottawa's defence better than Vancouver's?? Maybe... so here have Magnus Arvedsson to square things up... remeber we had to give you Sami Salo after we called Zdeno Chara a Norris trophy contender.... lol... but Magnus has a plan this year for when he gets in a fight during a game... he calls it the "plastic bag blowing around in the wind on the freeway" strategy.... and it works pRETTy well.... You'll see :)

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Craven, you stated Ottawa's defense is much bigger than Vancouver? I highly doubt it. Chara doesn't make your entire defense core HUGE. The smallest defenseman on the Canucks is Ed Jovanovski and he isn't the smallest guy in the world. He stands 6'1 just over 210 lbs.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
you may say that their defense is overrated but their offense isnt. As a fellow wings fan i hate to admit it but the canucks have the best offense in the league cooke burtuzzi come on now

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
let me get this straight....you believe vancouvers offence is better than colorados? come on man, pass whatever it is you're smoking around! second, im not a nucks or a sens fan but...i would take the nucks D over the sens D. thats just my opinion. gotta love jovo.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
You can't assume that Colorado's offense is going to be the best in the League. Sure, they look good on paper and they probably will be near the top of the NHL. Not to say this may be a problem but, what if Colorado has a serious goaltending situation? If defense isn't holding it's end of the bargain, offense won't be so successful.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts