Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The University of Michigan and Michigan State University have reached an agreement to play an outdoor game at Michigan Stadium next season. The game is being called "The Big Chill at the Big House" and is a rematch of a similar outdoor game that occurred in 2001.

Some of you may remember "The Cold War," a game hosted by Michigan State at Spartan Stadium in October of 2001 in front of a crowd of 74,544 enthusiastic hockey fans. The game, which resulted in a 3-3 tie, set a record for largest crowd to attend a hockey game. The "Big Chill" will attempt to eclipse that record by nearly 30,000, as the Michigan Stadium (also known as the Big House) is one of the largest football stadiums in America. After rumors since UM installed a sports-turf field in lieu of real grass at the Big House, it has finally become a reality.

"Not only is this a great rivalry between two top programs, but for it to be held in the Big House at Michigan is beyond what any of us have ever dreamt. This is finally a reality and it could be the largest crowd ever to witness a hockey game of any kind." said University of Michigan head coach, Red Berenson. No doubt, the decision to stage such a contest is riding on the wave of popularity that has lifted NHL ratings to new heights at their now annual outdoor game, the Winter Classic.

The game will feature two of the most successful programs in history and two bitter CCHA in-state rivals. "Michigan State-Michigan is one of college hockey's great rivalries, and this will be a grand stage on which to showcase it," said MSU coach Rick Comley, "When these teams face off, it is a game that people pay attention to nationally - and having one of our games outdoors in Michigan Stadium will create even more excitement and energy."

-Adam

Original Article

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It shoudl be fun! I want to know how much tickets are going to cost so I can help support my Spartans. I am only sad that now the record that was set at Spartan Stadium might fall...Oh well, U of M will just be remembered as the team that lost the game in front of the biggest crowd ever. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,164 Posts
This should be pretty cool! I think I'll have to go to this. Since I'm a Buckeye, I have to root for the Spartans by default.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Should be a fun game. I went to the Camp Randall Classic in Madison last February and it was a blast.
There is something very magical about outdoor hockey, make sure you dress warm if you go though!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts