Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I'm Swedish I feel obligated to start the official swedish player thread. Thought it'd be interesting to read what you all think of the swedes in the league. And once in a while I might have some inside info on the swedes that you can't read or hear about over there. (but I doubt it, cause there seems to be some very well informed people in here)
So any thoughts on swedish players in the past and present, now or during the season, here's where to speak out.

Ok let's go, here are some of my views on...

Forsberg vs Sundin, who's the best? (A topic often discussed in swedish media)...When both performing at their highest level, maybe, just maybe Forsberg. However if I was a GM and had the opportunity to sign one of them, I'd sign Sundin without much hesitation. And that choice has nothing to do with Forsbergs injury problems.

Personal favorite players (past & present)...
Tomas Sandstrom, he was (maybe still is) the closest to a real power forward we had & Mats Naslund for beeing successful despite his length (I'm quite a shorty myself so...)

Most overrated...
Never been that crazy about the Sedin twins but gotta give them credit for last season though, with the Olympics and all. I'd like to see them not playin together for a longer period cause I still have doubts about their qualities as individuals. Btw is it just me who think they resemble Eric Stoltz's character "Rocky" in the movie "Mask"...?

Most underrated...
I've always liked Michael Nylander. Not the most solid two way center out there, but as a playmaker he's definitely been underrated, both in the NHL and in Sweden where he's often beeing criticized for loving the puck too much. May be so, but when he decides to pass, it's usually a great play.

Most valuable to his team...
Gotta be Sundin, right? Or perhaps Mattias Norstrom (before Blake's return)

Which player I'd like to see in today's NHL...
Mats Naslund & Kent "Mr Magic" Nilsson. 2 ice-artists who most likely would benefit from the new rules.

Daniel Alfredsson...
I like him but totally agree with those who claim he's been a major disappointment in the playoffs. He seems to be a terrific captain off the ice, but on the ice he has to start delivering in the playoffs, or Ottawa might as well trade for someone who can.

Niclas Lidstrom...
Over here he's sometimes beeing questioned whether he really is one of the best NHL defencemen ever. I'd say offensively his numbers speak for themselves but defensively he's about average. Of course he's good but not as good as other multiple Norris winners such as Bourque & Leetch.

Borje Salming...
I guess for every hockey fan in Sweden he's regarded as a legend and a pioneer who paved the way for other swedish players. The standing ovations in CC, Toronto 1976 was just unbelievable, one of the most unforgettable moments in swedish hockey history. I was too young to really remember that, but I've seen it afterwards and just thinking about it gives me goose bumps.

Henrik Lundqvist
Surely has potential to become one of the best swedish keepers ever but up to now I think he's a bit overrated, at least in NY. I mean, would he be that praised if he played in Nashville?

Ulf Samuelsson
Should by far be the most hated swede in the league. I was no fan of him as a player but I guess swedes in general liked him, cause at least he was an exception from the typical chicken swede during the 80's and early 90's. Well I'm suprised that he of all people will be the first swede to stand behind an NHL bench. It'll be interesting to see how that works out.

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
I gotta' put in some thoughts here:

Forsberg vs Sundin, who's the best? (A topic often discussed in swedish media)...

I think who's better depends on a few issues. When it comes to international play, Sundin is the better player IMO. And he's always the Captain too. Forsberg is great, but I'd take Sundin in international play before him, though I'd take Forberg when it comes to the NHL, because he will play at a higher level more than Sundin can. Forsberg is known to play at his best consistently, and he owns a very good all-around game. Sundin on the other hand, is often criticised for not playing up to his potential consitently, which I happen to agree with. His offencive boost at the end of this past season finally proved once and for all IMO, what some of us have been thinking for a long time.

I don't think he floats on the ice, but wit hall the tools he has (Size, good skating, balance, skill, hard slapper, pretty accurate wrister, good play-making skills and Hockey sense), he is definitely much better than he's been showing us the last few years.

Overall, it's pretty close, but I'd probably take Sundin. Forsberg, as great as he is, is very injury prone, while Sundin is kown for being very healthy, and very consitent. I'd take both if I had the chance (as would many), but for now, it's Mats.

Alexander Steen: He's Canadian born, but he plays for Sweden. An Up-and- coming player who will be very good in the near future. And look at that, he's in my avatar. :)

Freddy Modin: Toronto let him go too soon. He was a huge part of the Tampa Bay Lightning Stanley Cup team, and he'll be a huge part of the Columbus Blue Jackets now IMO.

Mikael Renberg: He did okay, but he was too injury prone to big a big factor IMO. That's a shame.

Most overrated...

Jonas Hoglund. How he remained in the NHL for so long, I don't know. The media didnt' seem to care one bit about him being on the top line. As soon as any player slips on that Leaf jersey, everything is okay to them.

But it wasn't. It was horrid!:mad:

Most underrated...
I've always liked Michael Nylander. Not the most solid two way center out there, but as a playmaker he's definitely been underrated, both in the NHL and in Sweden where he's often beeing criticized for loving the puck too much. May be so, but when he decides to pass, it's usually a great play.
I totally agree. I also wonder why he's left off their National team so often. I never see his name there, even though I think he should be a given. veyr talented.

I also don't hear much at all about Mattias Öhlund, which is odd seeing as he plays in Vancouver, and how well he's been playing there the last few years. I think he's half blind in one eye. Impressive.

Oh and I think it's true about the Sedins. It was all this talk about how they'd break out and be so great. Good to see them prove me wrong when things didn't look as good as people thought they should for them. Solid 2nd line players right, and who knows how good they can get to be in the future.

Good for them.

Most valuable to his team...

Mats Sundin, for sure.

Tomas Holmstrom also puts up a strong case for the Red Wings... he gets nearly as much praise as Nik Lidtrom gets, and for good reason too. I mean, look at the job he does; That's pretty creepy.

Which player I'd like to see in today's NHL...

Andreas Dackell: He retired too soon. I think he's playing in Sweden now, but he was only 32 or 33 when he left th NHL. He wasn't much on Ottawa, but he eneded up being a solid hard-working 3rd or 4th liner when he was on Montreal.

Daniel Alfredsson...
Sometimes he'll do okay in the playoffs... Sometimes he won't. I don't like him much in the first place, but I'll have to say that he does do a good job of leading his team... in the regular season. The playoffs are where reputations are made. Fortunately for him, he's still walking the fine line, but sooner or later he's going to be tagged... permanently. :laugh:

Niklas Lidstrom...
I'd say that he's a great defenceman. Maybe not Like the Bourque's and Leetch's of the past... but there isn't really anyone else like that right now either. When Lidstrom is on the top of his game, I'd say that he's one of the bets in the league. He's okay when it comes to his positioning in the defencive zone. Not great, but he won't hurt his team much either. The offence is bonus.

Borje Salming...
I guess for every hockey fan in Sweden he's regarded as a legend and a pioneer who paved the way for other swedish players. The standing ovations in CC, Toronto 1976 was just unbelievable, one of the most unforgettable moments in swedish hockey history. I was too young to really remember that, but I've seen it afterwards and just thinking about it gives me goose bumps.
I never got to see him play. He was a little before my time, but I remember Mikael Tellqvist having his face on his mask a few years back. That was pretty cool.

Henrik Lundqvist
Well, seeing as he's a rookie, he might have... or not. Vokoun gets decent attention down there around the league for the job he does, but the Rangers being an original 6 team and having a much more developed fanbase, I guess it could be said that Broadway gives him a little more attention than the Musical city.

Ulf Samuelsson
[qoute]Should by far be the most hated swede in the league. I was no fan of him as a player but I guess swedes in general liked him, cause at least he was an exception from the typical chicken swede during the 80's and early 90's. Well I'm suprised that he of all people will be the first swede to stand behind an NHL bench. It'll be interesting to see how that works out.[/QUOTE]

Definitely. I think he could possibly be the most hated player ever... or at least near the top of that list. Especialy with what he did ot Neely.

He got a job? I didn't hear abou this. Hopefully he won't be telling anyone to go headhunting out there.

Anyway, that's all for now. it's a bit messy, I'm sure, but i'll probably come back and edit this post, and I'll definitely be adding a thing or two in this discussion as well. ;)

·
Registered
98 Posts
I like alot of the Swedish Hockey players.....highly skilled bunch currently playing in the NHL.....many of which I'd like to have on my team.

Forsberg vs Sundin, who's the best? (A topic often discussed in swedish media)... This one is tough call but living here in Hamilton Ontario (1-hour south of Toronto) I get to see alot of Mats Sundin play and he is a Clutch player if there ever was one....has a knack of scoring timely goals....only problem is the team he plays for Maple Leafs have never really supplied him with a bonafide NHL superstar winger and many nights Sundin has to do it all alone for Toronto....Forsberg on the other hand has had the luxary of being surrounded by a better cast of players both in Colorado and now with Philadelphia....Put Sundin with the cast of players that Fosberg's had over the years and you will see just how much higher Sundin's point totals would be.....to me it is no real surprise that whenever the Swedish National team plays Mats Sundin is usually their best player, even with Forsberg on the team.........

Borje Salming in past....watched him play for the Maple Leafs growing up.....should have won Norris trophy at least once if not two times in his NHL career but NHL reluctant to award it to Non-North American player back then...the one year that Larry Robinson won it should have gone to Salming but Robinson was Canadian player and played on Superior 1970s Dynasty Montreal Canadiens team.........

Most overrated... Hard to pick player for this category.....Probably the Sedin twins up until now....but I have a feeling they will have allstar type season this year with Vancouver....

Most underrated... Mattias Ohlund of Vancouver Canucks.....real workhorse that logs plenty of minutes on the ice....good on offence and defence....not shy to check along the boards too.......

Most valuable to his team... Mats Sundin.....where would the Leafs be without him?......He was on fire last season towards the end and Leafs missed out on playoffs by just 2-points....Sundin missed some games due to injury earlier on in the year....if he stayed healthy all season long Leafs would have made the post season.......

Which player I'd like to see in today's NHL... Borje Salming on todays Maple Leafs team and Mats Naslund on today's Montreal Canadiens team.......

Daniel Alfredsson... Highly skilled player that sometimes lets his mouth get the better of him with locker room type material for opposition team......Gotta get something done with his hair.......

Niclas Lidstrom... Best defencemen in the League offensively.....NHL should have two types of awards for defencemen....one for offensive type like Lidstrom and another for defensive type like Zdeno Chara.............

Borje Salming... Greatest Swede to play in NHL so far.......

Henrik Lundqvist Has a chance to be one of the top Swedish goalies ever....should be able to better last season's performance in this his second NHL season.........

Ulf Samuelsson One of the hardest hitters alltime Swedish and Non-Swedish.....had tendancy to dirty hit and hurt players but would be one guy that I wouldn't mind having on my team play.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jonas Hoglund. How he remained in the NHL for so long, I don't know. The media didnt' seem to care one bit about him being on the top line. As soon as any player slips on that Leaf jersey, everything is okay to them.

But it wasn't. It was horrid!:mad:

Totally with you on this one. Can't believe they kept the "meatball" line intact for so long.

He got a job? I didn't hear abou this. Hopefully he won't be telling anyone to go headhunting out there.

He's gonna stand behind the bench in Phoenix, next to The Great One. Somehow they bonded while playing together in NY if I remember it correctly. Ulfie's gonna teach the blueliners a thing or two about defence...

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
Johnny B Goode said:
Ulfie's gonna teach the blueliners a thing or two about defence...
I hope that's all he's going to be teaching, or the league is in for a world of hurt... more hurt. :laugh:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts