Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Canadian Press
9/15/2006 5:16:00 PM

TORONTO (CP) - He's said it before, and he'll say it again.

"If the organization wanted to move me, you have no real choice but, if it's up to me, I do want to stay as a Maple Leaf the rest of my career," captain Mats Sundin said after Toronto's first on-ice workouts of their NHL training camp Friday.

The topic arose during a media scrum because Sundin sold his posh home during the off-season, and because he's entering the last year - at US$7.6 million - of his contract.

The team has a $4.6-million option for 2007-2008 but it's likely both camps will start talking about an extension sometime this season.

"I don't have a desire to go anywhere else to be part of a championship team," he said. "We have just as good a chance to be a championship team right here as anyone else.

TSN : NHL - Canada's Sports Leader

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
As much as he wants to, I don't want him to stay in Toronto. He deserves top line players to play along his side. He deserved more ice-time. He deserves a chance to actually try and win the Stanley Cup.

I was hoping he'd be traded. Enough is enough. The man has given his all for the team, and they let him down time and time again.

Yet he never complained.

Mats: It's time to go an try and win the Cup, a la Ray Bourque.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
BE-LEAF-ABLE said:
As much as he wants to, I don't want him to stay in Toronto. He deserves top line players to play along his side. He deserved more ice-time. He deserves a chance to actually try and win the Stanley Cup.

I was hoping he'd be traded. Enough is enough. The man has given his all for the team, and they let him down time and time again.

Yet he never complained.

Mats: It's time to go an try and win the Cup, a la Ray Bourque.
Very true but you could also look at it from the organizations point of view. As a captain he hasn't taken the Leafs as far as he could. He's great but after this season the team should be looking to go in another direction, they may be using up to much payroll on a guy who can no longer be all the Leafs need him to be.

That said, I'd prefer to see him have a great year and for the Buds to add some players into the mix to give him a chance. The first step: get to know Steen, very well.

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
shookem said:
Very true but you could also look at it from the organizations point of view. As a captain he hasn't taken the Leafs as far as he could. He's great but after this season the team should be looking to go in another direction, they may be using up to much payroll on a guy who can no longer be all the Leafs need him to be.

That said, I'd prefer to see him have a great year and for the Buds to add some players into the mix to give him a chance. The first step: get to know Steen, very well.
Very true. I myself have questioned his play many times since the 2002 Olympics. He had a jump in him that was never shown again until the end of last season when he score 21 goals in the last 24 games of the season 9or something of the sort). Now that's a player taking the team on his back.

But yeah, I agree. Either way you look at it, it's time to move on.

Though I don't know who could replace him.

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
Hopefully. :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts