Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the storied history of the National Hockey League, no player has scored his 500th goal while wearing a Maple Leafs uniform.

Until now.

Barring an unforeseen disaster, Mats Sundin will accomplish that prestigious feat in the near future, joining a prestigious fraternity of 34 other names like Maurice (The Rocket)Richard, Wayne Gretzky and Gordie Howe.

Sundin scored in the shootout portion of the Leafs 3-2 loss to the Montreal Canadiens last night, but that goal does not count in his stats. As a result, he remains at 497 career goals.

complete article

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
He better get going. His PPG pace has been falling a bit in the last few years.

He's barely hanging on, and last year he finally got ahead of his games played. First time since 2001.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
I can't wait for Sundin to do it. He's been the face of the Leafs for most of the time I've been following the team closely.

Go Mats!

I agree with Be-Leaf that he needs to have a better than usual season to keep him moving up the all-time goals and points scored list and to keep him in the league's upper-tier of players.

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
Do you think Welly on the top line will help give him a boost this year? Mats has been getting a ton of scoring chances this year (currently averaging well over 5 shots per game.. close to 6)

Tucker's been thrown on as well. Tucker on his line usually works out well... at least for a while. (Remember back to the Tucker-Sundin-Mogilny line a few years ago), and Tucker looks like he's on his way to another good season so far.

Sundin closing in on 500 career goal mark

Canadian Press

10/11/2006 5:00:04 PM

TORONTO (CP) - Cliff Fletcher remembers feeling a little wobbly-kneed as he put the finishing touches on one of the most significant trades in Toronto Maple Leaf history.

"Oh my God yes," Fletcher recalled this week.

The then-Leafs GM was sending fan favourite Wendel Clark, along with Sylvain Lefebvre, Landon Wilson and a first-round pick to the Quebec Nordiques for Mats Sundin, Garth Butcher, Todd Warriner and a first-round pick.

It was June 28, 1994 _ draft day in Hartford.

More than 12 years later, Sundin finds himself three goals shy of the 500 club for his career - 362 of them wearing the Leafs uniform.
Take note of the guy beside him in on the bench in the picture.;)

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
I liked the idea of Steen getting a chance to play with Sundin but he doesn't look quite ready yet.

Wellwood - Sundin - Tucker is a great first line for the Leafs, I'm not sure it will scare other teams that much but I could see them getting the job done.

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
And there it is. And he did it after completing the Hattrick while the team was shorthanded in overtime, and while Mike Peca was missing. :laugh:

Ooooh baby!!!

Congrats to him. He also tied Dave Keon for 2nd all-time on the Leaf goals list, with 365. I mean, can it get any better than that?

Nuh-uh. :cool:

Sundin's 500th gives Leafs win

1 - 6 of 6 Posts