Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first off they won't spend any money to get any player...they under pay players...like Upshall...he has a two way contract...which means if he goes to the minors he makes less money...Nashville is always sending him down there just to pay him less. They did it again today....put him down and braught up Fiddler....Upshall is a rising superstar....i hate nashville.
 

·
Super Leafs Fan
Joined
·
4,714 Posts
I know what you're saying, but look around their rink, how many fans show up to a normal game??? about 11,000-13,000. They're saving money. I can't really blame them. Nashville is about as far away as you can get from a hockey market (OK maybe Sudan's a bit farther away) but they are down in the Southern section of the states. A place where hardly anyone knows how it works. If Nashville was lets say Dallas or Colorado, I bet that Scottie Upshall would still be hanging around the team.

This is an attempt to save money, for all we know, they are close to bankruptcy like the Pens were a few years ago. But I don't think anyone's interested in buying the Preds unless its someone like Alan Jackson, or some other country-music bumpkin.

Anyways that's my $0.02.
 

·
Super Leafs Fan
Joined
·
4,714 Posts
Tw33k said:
maybe if they spend the money to get good players more people would show up...
Yes, but if they do that, it might not work, and it could put them down in the hole. I don't think Nashville will be a team in 5 years, and that's if there's hockey after this season. If the CBA stops hockey, Nashville will be one of the first teams to fold.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,758 Posts
if there so stupid why did you just make a word up? stupidest isnt a word its most stupid or more stupid but not stupidest
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,677 Posts
If Upshall can't crack their line-up and they send him down to the minors, why would they want to pay him an NHL level contract if they don't have to??? Common business sense ladies!!!
Also, if they don't have the money to splurge on better players, they aren't going to sign them to contracts that they can't fulfill. This isn't NHL '04 where you can do what you feel like with the remote control!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Craven Morehead said:
If Upshall can't crack their line-up
that's why Nashville is stupid...Upshall is a sweet player...if you put him with some good play makers (Sedin like) then he will score like King....and the only way to get people to come to the arena is to show good hockey and Upshall...as he has in the minors...has delivered this good hockey.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,484 Posts
Upshall isn't the only rising player on Nashville. Tootoo, Legwand, Orzsagh and a whole lot of other players are rising to the occasion.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,698 Posts
Watching Scottie Upshall play here for the Kamloops Blazers over the years since his rookie year, he's really grown on me. I love the guy. He's a smooth skater with a real physical quality to his game. He really showed leadership with the young guys on the team. This season, we're really missing him on the Powerplay. :cry: Given the chance to play in the NHL, he'd shine.

Milwaukee has some good, solid players on the roster. It's tough competition.

I think with Upshall, Tootoo and Hamhuis all together in the lineup would really spark some offense.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,677 Posts
Tw33k said:
Craven Morehead said:
If Upshall can't crack their line-up
that's why Nashville is stupid...Upshall is a sweet player...if you put him with some good play makers (Sedin like) then he will score like King....and the only way to get people to come to the arena is to show good hockey and Upshall...as he has in the minors...has delivered this good hockey.
Upshall is a good player and will be a good 2nd liner in his career, possibly a first liner during his prime. He's more of a heart and soul kind of player which you can never have a shortage of. Upshall isn't cracking the Preds line-up every game because he isn't good enough. If he was, he'd be playing. Nothing personal Tw33k, but I'll trust David Poile and Barry Trotz' opinion over yours!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Craven Morehead said:
Tw33k said:
Craven Morehead said:
If Upshall can't crack their line-up
that's why Nashville is stupid...Upshall is a sweet player...if you put him with some good play makers (Sedin like) then he will score like King....and the only way to get people to come to the arena is to show good hockey and Upshall...as he has in the minors...has delivered this good hockey.
Upshall is a good player and will be a good 2nd liner in his career, possibly a first liner during his prime. He's more of a heart and soul kind of player which you can never have a shortage of. Upshall isn't cracking the Preds line-up every game because he isn't good enough. If he was, he'd be playing. Nothing personal Tw33k, but I'll trust David Poile and Barry Trotz' opinion over yours!!!
but your from Ottawa...you can't see good talent if it was right in front of you...nothing personal.. :wink: if you think upshall can't make nashvilles team then you really need to watch him....were talking about Nashville here....in many minds the worst team in the league...how can this uprising superstar not make their team? and if they want him to go anywere play him now so when they start doing good he can help and then later on they won't have too waste their time doing it...why do you think the nucks are using king?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,677 Posts
Tw33k said:
but your from Ottawa...you can't see good talent if it was right in front of you...nothing personal.. :wink: if you think upshall can't make nashvilles team then you really need to watch him....were talking about Nashville here....in many minds the worst team in the league...how can this uprising superstar not make their team? and if they want him to go anywere play him now so when they start doing good he can help and then later on they won't have too waste their time doing it...why do you think the nucks are using king?
Uprising superstar??? According to whom??? The Tw33k almanac of hockey prospects??? Yes he has good potential, but I think you overate him a little bit at this point. Just because a team sucks, doesn't mean the player should be rushed to the NHL level. Take players like Gratton, Marleau, Daigle and R. Neidermayer. Guys who should have used more seasoning in junior or the minors. Ottawa is probably the best organization at assessing talent after the Devils, so don't waste your time there. Scotty Upshall is 19, whereas Jason King is 22 and played time in the minors. Your contradicting yourself as well. You say they should play Upshall because the team sucks and he should learn now, but then you use Jason King as a comparison. 2 different situations and you know it. Vancouver is not a losing team.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,698 Posts
Craven Morehead said:
He's more of a heart and soul kind of player which you can never have a shortage of. Upshall isn't cracking the Preds line-up every game because he isn't good enough.
Upshall wasn't drafted 6th overall because he was a heart and soul player, he was drafted because he's the real deal.

Look at Pierre-Marc Bouchard, Steve Eminger, Rick Nash etc. They were also drafted in the same round and they've played at least half a season last year and are regulars this season. Do you think Bouchard played all that well his first 10 games? He had an assist in those games, including -4.

You tend to see a good, young player on a sh*t team lose confidence in his playing ability. Sending Upshall down and up from the minors can't make things any better. Nashville needs to give him a chance, 15 games or so. They need all the help they can get.

By the way, Upshall is 20. :wink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,677 Posts
Matt Cooke said:
Craven Morehead said:
He's more of a heart and soul kind of player which you can never have a shortage of. Upshall isn't cracking the Preds line-up every game because he isn't good enough.
Upshall wasn't drafted 6th overall because he was a heart and soul player, he was drafted because he's the real deal.

Look at Pierre-Marc Bouchard, Steve Eminger, Rick Nash etc. They were also drafted in the same round and they've played at least half a season last year and are regulars this season. Do you think Bouchard played all that well his first 10 games? He had an assist in those games, including -4.

You tend to see a good, young player on a sh*t team lose confidence in his playing ability. Sending Upshall down and up from the minors can't make things any better. Nashville needs to give him a chance, 15 games or so. They need all the help they can get.

By the way, Upshall is 20. :wink:
Comparing other players for each respective team isn't fair because each team has different needs or wants. Plus, after the draft, some players don't progress as fast as others, regardless of whether they are drafted ahead of them or after. To be honest, I didn't see Bouchard play enough to rate his performance. Take Jason Spezza. He did not deserve to make the NHL after he was drafted and rightfully spent some time in the minors last season to develop. In all fairness, there is a point that Ottawa has a much deeper team and could more then afford to send him down, but Upshall is not as talented as Spezza and jumping right from Junior to the NHL is a big adjustment no matter how good you are. Some seasoning in the minors will not hurt him. If he is ready now, then the Predators would keep him permanently. You guys won't admit it, but the reasons you guys think he should be playing is because he was a 6th overall pick and was captain to Canada at the WJC. It doesn't work that way!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,698 Posts
The reason I think he's so great, because I've been watching him play two, three times a week for the last four years. He's the most impressive junior player I've seen in a long time.

Sure Upshall can use time in the minors, I just don't like this sending him down and calling him up again.

What's the AHL going to really do for him? He's already scoring enough with Milwaukee as it is.

I believe he's ready.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,429 Posts
Please trade Vokoun!

I am a huge fan of this goalie. He is perhaps one of the most underrated players, and isn't noticed on Nashville.

On a good team, he could do wonders! :D

And to think Burke almost, almost made a deal to bring him to Vancouver.. :oops:
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top