Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stumpy to stay in Motown

Steve Thomas was placed on waivers by the Red Wings in order to avoid a roster violation.

Sportsnet.ca - Steve Thomas can rest easy, the veteran forward cleared waivers and will remain in Detroit.

Sportsnet learned the forward was placed on waivers by the Red Wings earlier this week, but cleared the Saturday deadline with no additional offers.

As an unrestricted free agent, the 40-year-old forward was not protected in October's waiver draft. Therefore, in order for Detroit to create room for Thomas the team was forced to make one of two choices: drop another player from their protected list, or place Steve Thomas on waivers.

They opted for the latter after signing him to a 1-year, $1-million
contract.
While the contract demands of the league journeyman were likely too high for other teams to swallow, despite the opportunity to block Detroit's plight to improve their roster may be too much to resist.

Last season Thomas joined the Anaheim Mighty Ducks at the trade deadline and was instrumental in the team's surprise run to the Cup finals.Â

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
gojetsgo said:
hey to the redwings thomas is a 18 year old rookie
That's because he always looks like an 18 year old rookie out there.

Now, I know he's not one, but he sure does look convincing on the ice. He's played very well with the Wings this season, and he seems to have a hint of clutch in him.

·
Registered
102 Posts
With the way he's been playing, I hope he forgets how old he really is ...
:)

That was a marvelous goal he scored last night ...

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
I like Stumpy, perhaps the extended off season has helped him.

We'll see what he has left in April. He looked good for the Ducks last year though.

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
He scored 2 goals lastnight, and nearly completed the "Trick". Oh well, the rebound off his shot ended up as a goal anyway.

No matter how old he is, he's still Steve Thomas. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts