Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has this guy made up his mind if he's gonna retire or not?

I mean, I love ya, Stevie-Y, but you've gotta make a fricking decision already!

Didn't he say he was gonna tell everybody by Saturday? As in TWO DAYS AGO????!!!

:confused:

Edit: I just saw on TSN.ca that the Red Wings are holding a press conference today at 1 et, and Yzerman's decision is probably the reason why:

http://tsn.ca/news_story.asp?ID=170385&hubName=main

·
Registered
26,388 Posts

July 03, 2006

Sportsnet.ca - After 22 seasons, Detroit Red Wings' captain Steve Yzerman is calling it a career, Sportsnet has learned.

The Red Wings have called a press conference for 1 pm ET on Monday where the announcement is expected to be made official.

The 41-year old is considered one of the greatest players ever to wear the red and white, and led Detroit to three Stanley Cups, which included a Conn Smythe trophy in 1998.

Also sitting in the ten-time all-star's trophy case is a gold medal from the 2002 Olympics.

Yzerman finishes his career with 692 goals and 1,063 assists for 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games

·
Registered
52 Posts
Classy Yzerman helped turn Detroit into Hockeytown

Steve Yzerman, one of the best players in NHL history, has announced his retirement.
Sometimes we make such idiots of ourselves over our heroes. In reality, they are not much different from the rest of us. They have the same concerns – family, health, jobs – that we all fret about. Somehow, I've always been proud of the fact that I haven't put my heroes on some unrealistic pedestal; hopelessly impossible to sustain and unrealistically lofty.

Steve Yzerman is different.

Never has there been a more unwilling hero. Never has there been an athlete so averse to the limelight that we seem to automatically confer on those we revere. And never has there been so worthy a candidate for the pedestal I've so disingenuously tried to avoid constructing through the years.

In some ways, he's the antithesis of today's professional athlete: He doesn't run around with women, he doesn't gamble, and he won't ask for the day off if he has the sniffles. In fact, the only time you ever saw his name in the paper is when he did something on the ice, which, as far as he was concerned, was the only milieu by which he should be judged.

Much more to the article...
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/columnist/montgomery/2006-07-03-montgomery-yzerman_x.htm

·
Banned
961 Posts
Steve Yzerman

Well everyone i am really sad to see this future hall of famer retire. but i think it was his time.this is a end of a era. Good luck in the future and thanks for the memories.:thumbsup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts