Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Personally, I think his shoulder injury he suffered in the World Junoirs really set him back. I have read before that he isn't the player he once was and doesn't get along very well with his teammates. Which I find very strange considering his high energy play style and determination, he was a joy to watch internationally.

The Columbus Blue Jackets got some shocking news on Tuesday when they learned that prospect Stefan Legein has decided to quit playing hockey.

According to the Columbus Dispatch, the Blue Jackets were informed of Legein's decision by his agent Doug Woods, telling them he won't be at training camp and has decided to hang up his skates at the age of 19.

Blue Jackets general manager Scott Howson confirmed the report to the Dispatch but when contacted by the newspaper, Legein's mother said she hadn't heard the news while his father denied the report.
Report: Legein to Quit Hockey

I think there will definetly be more to the story, for the reason will eventually come out and may be controversial.

·
HF-MOTM Winner - Mar 08
4,382 Posts
Daniel Ryder was the same way (and he came back this year). I dont understand how these people give up their lifes work, because they 'just dont want to play'. Frankly, I dont really want to go work, but I dont call it quits. These kids are privileged and lucky to actually have a chance at the NHL, and I think its very selfish for them to give up, when a million other kids only dream to be in their spot.

Now if he is 'retiring' because of an injury, then obviously I cant blame him.

·
Registered
5,403 Posts
Daniel Ryder was the same way (and he came back this year). I dont understand how these people give up their lifes work, because they 'just dont want to play'. Frankly, I dont really want to go work, but I dont call it quits. These kids are privileged and lucky to actually have a chance at the NHL, and I think its very selfish for them to give up, when a million other kids only dream to be in their spot.

Now if he is 'retiring' because of an injury, then obviously I cant blame him.
So an injury is an okay excuse, but the kid's heart not being in it isn't? Maybe he got tired of the grind, perhaps he has been pushed into hockey and while talented, it really wasn't what he wanted to do, it was what other people expected him to do and after nearly 15 years he is standing up for himself and saying I want to make the decisions in my life and do what I want, not what every one expects me to. Perhaps a game that once gave him joy has become a grind of year round work outs, long stretches on buses, missing time with family, not getting a chance to hang out with friends and do things that normal people do.

While this kid appears to have been successful at every level, every level has gotten more and more competitive and perhaps he has lost his motivation. The world of junior and pro hockey is not always the dream some make it out to be and perhaps he has seen enough of the darker side of the hockey life to know it is not what he wants.

I don't know myself, I don't know the kid. But if he has enough incite to make a decision that he fells is right for him at the age of 19, instead of doing what others expect him to do, and he is comfortable with that choice, more power to him.

I have worked in Employment and post secondary education counselling for 15 years now, and I can tell that most people at the age of 17/18/19/20 don't make the right decisions, most do what is expected of them and they end up unhappy because they didn't do what they wanted , too often they did what was expected.

Don't condemn this guy because he chose not to fulfill your fantasy.

·
HF-MOTM Winner - Mar 08
4,382 Posts
So an injury is an okay excuse, but the kid's heart not being in it isn't? Maybe he got tired of the grind, perhaps he has been pushed into hockey and while talented, it really wasn't what he wanted to do, it was what other people expected him to do and after nearly 15 years he is standing up for himself and saying I want to make the decisions in my life and do what I want, not what every one expects me to. Perhaps a game that once gave him joy has become a grind of year round work outs, long stretches on buses, missing time with family, not getting a chance to hang out with friends and do things that normal people do.

While this kid appears to have been successful at every level, every level has gotten more and more competitive and perhaps he has lost his motivation. The world of junior and pro hockey is not always the dream some make it out to be and perhaps he has seen enough of the darker side of the hockey life to know it is not what he wants.

I don't know myself, I don't know the kid. But if he has enough incite to make a decision that he fells is right for him at the age of 19, instead of doing what others expect him to do, and he is comfortable with that choice, more power to him.

I have worked in Employment and post secondary education counselling for 15 years now, and I can tell that most people at the age of 17/18/19/20 don't make the right decisions, most do what is expected of them and they end up unhappy because they didn't do what they wanted , too often they did what was expected.

But we're talking about a person busting his butt since he was 12 years old to make the NHL, going through the grind for 8 years (or more), and then quitting. Its like going to med school and deciding to not be a doctor after you're finally completed all the schooling and residencies.

Furthermore, there's other things to consider, this person is obviously doesnt have his heart in the game. And getting out instead of making a ton of money is admirable. However, he put the Columbus Blue Jackets in a horrible position. Not only did they waste the time and a draft pick (2nd round pick at that) to draft him, they also signed him to a contract. Where I'm from, if you sign a contract, it is your duty too fulfill your contract (unless theirs an injury of some sort), not because 'I dont want to anymore'.

·
Super Moderator
8,126 Posts

You hit the nail right on the head here KB. The pressure put on kids at a very young age by parents hoping to secure their retirement and future if their sons make it to the NHL is everywhere across the country and that, from a very young age. I know of parents who force their kids to lift weights and train like a pro at the Atom level!!! Due to their self-driven motives, they forget that in order for those kids to want to do something, it must be fun first... I'm absolutely not surprised to see situations like this one and Daniel Ryder's. Actually, I have a feeling that we'll see more and more in the future, especially with split families and so on.

·
Premium Member
2,728 Posts

Exactly.

Great post KB, we could sure use your balanced perspective around these parts a little more ya know....:beer:beer:bt

Nice ta see ya here!

RB

·
Registered
127 Posts

Couldn't have said it better myself.

This is exactly what I was thinking when I read this article. As soon as I saw his dad's quote, I figured his father maybe wants this more then he does.

"until training camp starts, he hasn't quit anything"

Now I'm not judging, because obviously I don't know his father personaly, but that sentence alone makes me think that that's the situation.

·
Premium Member
10,689 Posts
Some of the responses I am reading over the internet about this story sicken me, he's gay, he's addicted to drugs, his dad was abusinve, bla bla bla! This is a 19 year old kid !

A statement from the kid. And I hope people leave him be and let him explain, if he so choses.

In response to the speculation about his future, Legein offered the following statement:
"I'd like for everyone to stop bashing my father, my family, and me personally," said Legein. "My family has been amazing. They have supported me and never forced me to do anything and to say its their fault is ridiculous."

"Take the time to talk to me before you accuse me of being addicted to anything, even if it's coffee," Legein continued. "I realize you're going to speculate but please don't bash my character and especially my family.
http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=246953&lid=headline&lpos=secStory_nhl

·
Registered
117 Posts
But we're talking about a person busting his butt since he was 12 years old to make the NHL, going through the grind for 8 years (or more), and then quitting. Its like going to med school and deciding to not be a doctor after you're finally completed all the schooling and residencies.
This has actually happened before. Mavbe he liked what he thought he was getting into, but realized there was just some things that he wasn't willing to do. And better he do it now than when the jackets have say, a $6 million doallar contract to pay.

·
Registered
5,403 Posts
To those who said nice things about me and my comments, thank you :redface:I am blushing.

I never meant to insinuate that the kid was pressured by his parents, although we have all seen what over the top parents can do to turn a child of sports, or the Arts, or education.

I honestly think it is better that if somebody does not have a love of the game in their heart anymore, they should get out. I am sure the ownership of the Columbus Blue Jackets have all sorts or provisions the contract and insurance that will ensure they won't loose any money.

I am also aware that part of being an adult means sometimes you have to go to work doing something you don't like sometimes with people you may not like. Not everyone gets to do their dream job and be well compensated for doing it. However if you are smart and well adjusted you find other outlets, in family, friends or hobbies that help give focus, balance and meaning to your life. I hope Stefan Legein finds it for himself, and I hope that anyone reading this finds and keeps this balance for themselves as well .

·
Registered
5,403 Posts
This has actually happened before. Mavbe he liked what he thought he was getting into, but realized there was just some things that he wasn't willing to do. And better he do it now than when the jackets have say, a $6 million doallar contract to pay.
Habs and hockey fans with long memories ( attention JL, or Daryl Shilling) will remember in the early 1970's Montreal drafted a guy called Robin (Something or other) who rather than continue to play hockey became a firefighter out here in BC. He may have passed on a couple of Stanley Cups.

·
Registered
42 Posts
People are saying that he doesnt have heart. Well i think that he has a lot more heart that some people do to be able to say that he doesnt want to play. Although i think he should have decided this before he signed a contract with colombus or even better before he got drafted.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts