Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well looks like parity didn't destroy the Mighty Redwings as predicted. The favorites to win it all despite the changes. Hockey world wide use to run through Montreal but not anymore. Hockeytown is the center of the hockey universe.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
sounds real good. We will see. Ottawa will be our challenge in the Finals.. I would love for us to Bring it on Home!!! just have to add the Official GO WINGS!!!!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Not so fast with the early gloating, after all, that's why they play the game. I'm not really such a huge Detroit fan, inspite of their regular season record. Remember, they played 24 games this year against such stellar opponents as the Blue Jackets, Blackhawks and Blues. I think they ended up only losing 3 games combined, but I do stand to be corrected on this.

Nonetheless, it's no wonder they had such a high point total, but with the playoffs now poised to begin, we'll see how good of a team they really are. I think Edmonton will give them a big time scare in round 1, although I do think the Wings will prevail. I don't think Detroit will go to the finals, in fact, I don't think they will get past the second round. You read it here first!

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
LOL so pessamistic... thanks for that well rounded oppinion.. any reason as to why you dont think they will make it to the finals..

well i have 18 good reasons why they will make it to the finals. and they all are in a wings uniform. and thats good enough for me. we have been rolling three lines and have been doing that very well..

so what if the opponents arent the best in the league? they will make it at least to the third round.. dont count detroit out just yet...

·
Premium Member
4,519 Posts
Hkyfn said:
Not so fast with the early gloating, after all, that's why they play the game. I'm not really such a huge Detroit fan, inspite of their regular season record. Remember, they played 24 games this year against such stellar opponents as the Blue Jackets, Blackhawks and Blues. I think they ended up only losing 3 games combined, but I do stand to be corrected on this.

Nonetheless, it's no wonder they had such a high point total, but with the playoffs now poised to begin, we'll see how good of a team they really are. I think Edmonton will give them a big time scare in round 1, although I do think the Wings will prevail. I don't think Detroit will go to the finals, in fact, I don't think they will get past the second round. You read it here first!
Sure we read it here first, and I'll be (one of) the first to disregard your comments. I don't really care what division you play in, the name of the game is to win, and thats what the Wings did. A total of 124 points, depending on the outcome of tonight, should automatically show you that this is a good team.

Its not as though the Wings played even a majority of their games within their own division, they do play outside of it. They only lost 15 games altogether this year... thats quite remarkable. They set a record 12 straight road game wins, and 31 road wins in a season. They have 4 players with over 80 points, and 8 players with more than 20 goals. They have the best power play and the third best PK. This team is built to win.

I'm not saying that these stats automatically mean that the Wings are going to win the Cup, just that peoples speculation that they only have such a good point total is because of their division is a little over done. Like it or not, the Wings have a good team, and I really hope that they prove it in the playoffs this year.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Looks like your Red Wings fans are just a touch sensitive, huh? What they did in the regular season is all fine and dandy, but the playoffs are a whole new game.

since I mentioned their candy cane schedule of playing weak sisters like Chicago/Columbus/st.L 24 games (29% of their schdule) and when you include Nashville and the 8 games they played them, that's 39% of all their games played! Nashville played Detroit tough this year, as did the other non-divisional teams. You mentioned that the Wings lost 15 games all year, most of those losses were to the better teams in other divisions.

now that the playoffs are here, they are playing teams with 90+ points, who also can roll 18 good reasons!

as far as I am concerned, the Wings have yet to prove their mettle, but if they win, I'll quickly come over to your way of thinking, although I doubt I'll have to!

You've read it here!!:D

·
Premium Member
4,519 Posts
Of course they lost those games to good teams... would you have been more impressed if those losses were to bad teams? And who is to say that they would not do well in a different division? Maybe not 124 points well, but certainly over 100. You can't take this seasons record away from the Wings. They have had a great season, and there is no reason that they will not be able to bring this into the playoffs.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Yes, I give the Wings full credit for their regular season record, and I don't fault them that they are in a weak division. The Wings have a very good team, I'm not disputing this, but I do think that until they play the best, it is difficult to guage how good they truly are.

Would they have the same record if they were in a different division? Who knows and this is really an irrelevant question to ask as it is impossible to state yes or no.

All I'm saying is that the regular season really dosn't mean much in the grand sceme of things, other than team seeding. Beyond this, they will have to go through a tough road to make the finals, and I just don't think the Wings have it. Maybe I will be wrong, maybe not, but if they get to the finals, they will have earned it.

I question the Wings defense, and goaltending. That's what wins championships in the NHL, because as the games become more intense, the defense is what makes the difference. Always has, always will.

·
Premium Member
4,519 Posts
Whats to question about the Wings defence? They have the best defence in the league in Lidstrom, and another great one in Schnieder. Kronwall is really shaping out to be a great hitter, and Chelios is playing great. Cory Cross and Jason Woolley make for great 5-6 defenseman, and they know how to get the job done.

The offensive core also knows how to come back and play D, and the Wings as a team have only allowed 203 goals against, one of the least in the league.

I'm not going to argue with the whole goaltending thing, because yes, Legace is unproven, but he isn't untalented. These playoffs will be a great experience for him.

All in all, this team has a good chance to win. And I really don't think that its solely these goggles of mine that tell me that :).

·
Registered
1,140 Posts

we have already see this^

we will seee this i believe this year!!!!^

PS: Manny is getting his shot.. he needs the experience.. its not fair to judge a goalie on one playoff run.. especially this one being his first as a starter... I will not argue the whole goaltending thing either! :p

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It still runs through HOCKEYTOWN

Our candy ass schedule was due to small market cry baby owners. It's not our fault that the NHL economized the schedule to save teams money. If Canada would give the small market teams a tax break then we would play everyone. O.K. you also have extremely cheap owners like that wertz of Chicago. We know guys like that greedy wall street weasel here in Detroit know as the Ford family and the Lions. If we had it our way it would be all original six schedule and to hell with the disneylands, the warmth of the beech, the hi yall's, etc. The wings have sold out for 20 years or more now. There are teams like New Jersy who won the cup and didn't sell out in the playoffs. That's O.K. one of those small markets is going to Portland. Will it be Pittsburgh. Edmonton maybe, who has been on the verge of moving for awhile now. Detroit fans support their sports. No other city in the world does better. 111,000 at Michigan football. Sold Out Wings, Lions, and Pistons for years now. Touchy!!! We're just right. See you in the playoffs. Remember!!!! No more hack hockey. No more clutch and grab. No more we have no talent hockey. No more scrape it up and down the boards hockey. It's back to exciting wide open hockey like it used to be. Detroit is still the favorite. Detroit over Edmonton in 6. The first round is the toughest. Of course it looks like the inventors of the dull, hack, boring game New Jersey, will make it to the finals the way they are playing. That's O.K. we owe them also. This will be sweet revenge year for the Red Wings.

·
Registered
227 Posts
OK, I now see the error of my ways. Is my face ever red! Almost as red as watching the Wings getting thumped by Nashville, 6-1 as I write this. We'll see more of this in the next couple of weeks, I reckon!:D

Not to nickpick FCP, but the Stanley Cup goes through Tampa this year, after all, they are the defending cup champs!

Sweet revenge....., just remember, how do you like your crow cooked?:laugh:

·
Premium Member
4,519 Posts
I thought that you said that the regular season doesn't matter, so then why should we care if the Wings are being thumped by the Preds? Honestly, what do the Wings have to play for right now? Absolutely nothing. Theres no real motivation to win this game, and no need to. I actually saw the Wings losing this game, and I'm not going to lose any tears over it. Besides, they are playing without Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Lidstrom, Yzerman, and Schneider...

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hkyfn said:
OK, I now see the error of my ways. Is my face ever red! Almost as red as watching the Wings getting thumped by Nashville, 6-1 as I write this. We'll see more of this in the next couple of weeks, I reckon!:D

Not to nickpick FCP, but the Stanley Cup goes through Tampa this year, after all, they are the defending cup champs!

Sweet revenge....., just remember, how do you like your crow cooked?:laugh:
Well done, upside down with the feet still attached, and a cigarette hanging out of it's mouth.

·
Premium Member
4,519 Posts
Administrator said:
6 to 2 loss against the preds, they will need more than that to win the cup :laugh:
When your playing without 4 of your best players, its going to be hard to beat anyone. All these players will be back for the playoffs, and they will do better.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts