Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Go back to red deer you had good intentions but you dont have a team that can play your style. Put John in command lets go back to the trap and play Devils hockey.

If you dont go anywhere put the talent together and let the scorers play with the scorers

Elias-Zubrus-Gionta
Parise-Zajac- Bergfors/Langs
Pando-Madden-Asham
Brylin-Pelly-Clarkson.

And give your top 2 lines some more ice time..Parise our best scorer right now only got 18 minutes vs ottawa..give the top players 20-23 minutes of ice time.

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
4 games into the season and you're ready to dump Sutter? Seems like quite the overreaction to me...

Think about this for a minute. The Devils are missing two solid veterans in White and Langenbrunner. They're trying to adapt to a system that is completely opposite of the one they've played the last couple seasons. They've got new players in Zubrus, Rachunek, Vishnevski, Asham, and Mottau that are all adjusting to the Devils. What do you expect, for them to just flip a switch and play "Sutter Hockey" perfectly?

It's going to take them some time to get used to the new system and what's expected of them. It might be painful to watch the learning process, but have some patience. It's way too early in the season to be start calling for massive changes. They've got enough to deal with as it is.

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
Chris_1968 said:
Wow dump sutter. give the guy a break he will do ok.

Just like gomez will find his stride with my team.
Yeah, hopefully he'll find his stride right into another player and injure himself.;) :D

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
MadDevil said:
Yeah, hopefully he'll find his stride right into another player and injure himself.;) :D

Something told me that remark would come from you.

I think its awsome kevin weekes has your only win in nets. I wonder if sutter will name him the #1 goalie as martin continues to flop playing out of the trap system. :D

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Chris_1968 said:
Something told me that remark would come from you.

I think its awsome kevin weekes has your only win in nets. I wonder if sutter will name him the #1 goalie as martin continues to flop playing out of the trap system. :D
Remember how Avery nearly gave Weekes a concussion in the preseason? Well, maybe Avery will get confused one of these games and run Lundqvist.

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
Chris_1968 said:
A wise guy, eh?

It does worry me that the Devils scored 4 goals in front of Weekes against the Panthers, and in the other 3 games have scored a total of 3 goals for Brodeur. So unless Marty shuts the other team out every game, they're not going to be winning much. I thought this "leave our Hall of Fame goaltender out to dry" thing was going to go away this year.:(

·
Registered
5 Posts
So far Sutter's system isn't really working. True, it is early, this is a brand new way of playing for Jersey, and there are a lot of new players in the system now... Now, I don't know for sure, but has anyone else noticed that the players are more responsive to John, and that whenever they call a timeout, John is calling the shots? I know they are familiar with him more than Sutter, but it just appears that they are not happy with his style. I don't know, just what it looks like from all the games I have watched.

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
I think it's too early to judge whether Sutter's system is working or not. Mainly because I don't think he has all the personnel he needs to make his system completely effective. The defense is barely a step above what a decent AHL team could ice. Even with Martin and White back in the lineup, the defense is less than stellar. The potential is there with younger defensemen like Martin, Greene, and Oduya, but they're still a couple years away from being at their best. White, Vishnevski, and Rachunek are the "veterans" of that group and White is still out with his eye problems. It's just not a recipe for success, at least right now.

I think part of the real problem is that the Devils drafting hasn't been as good since about 2000. Sure they've drafted Martin, Parise, and Zajac since then, but beyond that there isn't much top end talent in the system. The draft classes from 2000 to 2002 have yielded only a few real NHL prospects (Martin, Rupp, Suglobov, Hale, Tallackson, Janssen). Only Martin would be considered more than a depth player out of that group. Suglobov and Tallackson have still to make it into the NHL regularly, and Hale is no longer with the team. So that's a total of 3 players in 3 draft years that are still with the team. Even more recently only Parise and Zajac would be considered top end talent. Part of that is the Devils own success, not having many high draft picks to deal with or trading picks/prospects away for players to win Cups.

This season is as close to the dreaded "rebuild" that the Devils have been since before Marty came into the league. It's hard to watch for a lot of us because we're used to seeing them play well year after year, and I think it's lead to some becoming frustrated with Sutter and his new system. I don't think we'll really see the full effect of Sutter's philosophy change until later this season or next season. I think there will be some personnel changes coming either at the deadline or in the offseason. Right now they're just trying to figure out who fits where into the system, and what they need yet. So basically I guess we just have to have a lot of patience with the Devils this year...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Our defense, at this point, is mediocre at best (how is Oduya still in the NHL?). Sutter's system promotes aggressiveness on offense, which is great but it only works if you have a good defense to back it up.

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
Our defense, at this point, is mediocre at best (how is Oduya still in the NHL?). Sutter's system promotes aggressiveness on offense, which is great but it only works if you have a good defense to back it up.
I think the Devils have two glaring weaknesses right now, the lack of a true #1 center and a true #1 defenseman. Considering that neither of them grows on trees, the Devils are kind of in a bind. The Devils have a plethora of wingers with Elias, Gionta, Parise, Zubrus, Langenbrunner, Pandolfo, Brylin, Clarkson, Asham, Rupp, Bergfors (who will hopefully be making an impact in the NHL soon), etc. Of all those players Gionta is probably the most expendable, although his $4 million contract won't be easy to move. If they could package him in a deal for a #1 center or #1 defenseman (probably a long shot), I'd be fine with trading him. I like Gionta a lot, but if moving him plugs one of those two holes in the roster I'm all for it.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Fire Sutter? If Brent Sutter cant coach your team, you're going to be hard pressed to find someone who can. Point the finger at your D. Im pretty sure Igor Ulanov could find minutes on your guys D line. If White cant come back soon enough, I'd make a trade to improve the defensive core.

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
Fire Sutter? If Brent Sutter cant coach your team, you're going to be hard pressed to find someone who can. Point the finger at your D. Im pretty sure Igor Ulanov could find minutes on your guys D line. If White cant come back soon enough, I'd make a trade to improve the defensive core.
White has looked very good since coming back from the eye injury and I think has given the defense a boost. With Martin and White healthy, the Devils have at least a decent top pair. Greene has been very solid, and Brookbank has been a surprise. But beyond that you just never know what you're going to get out of Vishnevski, Rachunek, Oduya, and Mottau from game to game. One game they look very good, and the next they look like belong back in the AHL. I think the defense is just good enough to get them by in the regular season, but the playoffs are another matter entirely.

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
Yes fire Sutter. I mean really he only has the Devs in first place in their division and have gone 7-2-1 over their last 10. I think this team is making that turn in the Sutter system that will keep them on top the rest of the way. Or fire him so Edmonton could hire him like they should've done years ago.

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
Yes fire Sutter. I mean really he only has the Devs in first place in their division and have gone 7-2-1 over their last 10. I think this team is making that turn in the Sutter system that will keep them on top the rest of the way. Or fire him so Edmonton could hire him like they should've done years ago.
You mean like how the Oilers traded down in the 2003 draft, allowing the Devils to use the #17 pick on Zach Parise...:D

·
Registered
117 Posts
I think if I was a Devils fan, I'd be all for a different style. It's obvious they aren't competing for a Stanley Cup with the current system. They don't have the defense corps to play a defensive system. Now that they have Holik and Rolston back, if I were Lou and Brent, I'd switch to a more wide open system. They might have to wait a while for a cup, but you'll live. Trust me, we've waited almost 20 years in Calgary.

·
Registered
69 Posts
idk, Sutter's made some smart moves this season. I mean, it's not really his fault that we weren't scoring too much last season, but i think we're seeing a real improvement in scoring. Putting Clarkson on the second line seemed to help a bit huh?

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
The only knock I have on Sutter is his constant juggling of the lines. On one hand I understand the need to have different combos that work (and they have had some solid lines), but it seems like players hardly have much time to develop chemistry before they get mixed up again. And why is Bergfors even with the team if he's getting less ice time than Mike Rupp? Don't get me wrong, I like Rupp, but Bergfors is supposed to be a future scorer for the Devils. He's not going to have much chance to do that playing under 6 minutes a game. All in all those are rather minor complaints, because I think Sutter's attitude is exactly the attitude they need behind the bench and I think he'll be just fine.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts